Kids scamming drivers at Crabtree Mall

surlywynch

Got a ping a few days ago, around 7:30pm from Crabtree Mall at 1.9x. Of course the pin is located in the center of the mall. I decide to call, and the rider tells me he is at Panera Bread. I honestly have tried avoid the mall at all costs ever since I moved to Raleigh, way back in the 1900's. So I asked if Panera Bread was on the Glenwood Ave side of the Mall or the back side. He really could not tell me, so I drove along the Glenwood side, then turned along the back side of the mall.

The kid jumped over the fence to get in my car on the back side of the mall, just before I reached Panera Bread. He looked a bit young, but it's not my job to be checking IDs. I ask for his address and confirmed he wants to get on 440 (as the Uber Nav suggests) or take the back roads. He says GPS is fine, and he asks if I have a charge cord for i-phone. I do and gave it to him. I ask if he is getting off work. He said no, he was out with friends. ( In retrospect, I realize now he is a minor, high school kids go to the mall to hang out with friends, not adults). The remainder of the trip he is glued to his i-phone. I drop him at his house, and wish him a good evening.

Last night, I get an email from Uber that a rider reported I took cash for a trip and they had adjusted my fare to zero. I immediately shot off a response that was fraudulent, and asked which rider had reported this. I got the standard, "we can't tell you anything more due to privacy issues" I looked at my ride history and sure enough, this kid was the one that claimed I took cash from him. I was back an forth with CS, and they eventually re-instated my fare, although it was a few dollars more than the original. I haven't figured out that one out? I took a look at my rating this morning, and saw one of my 5-star ratings vanish before my eyes, and my 1-star percentage was up one percent.

I complained to CS that the 180 days of change smoke and mirrors promised to remove any low ratings for any circumstance out of control of the drivers, and this rider clearly decided after initially rating me 5-stars, to change it to a 1-star after he realized he took a ride at almost 2x surge. I'm in the process of uploading my dash cam footage. I know its a waste of my time, but figure if Uber wants to waste my time all this marketing hyperbole, they can waste their time responding to my complaints.

Hogg

It is your job to check IDs.

And yeah, they constantly screw you, at least you got a notification instead of the money just dissappering from your statement.

RaleighUber440

I used to check for I.D's until I got accused of discrimination and practically punched in the face for refusing rides. So many idiots out there accept minors, so whenever I decline, it makes me look bad. I have a dash-cam, so it's just not worth the hassle anymore.

It just boggles my mind why Uber puts the driver in these types of situations. Why can't they screen better online? Someone shouldn't be able to sign up for Uber without proof of the ID and age. It's a really ugly situation that I hope to see fixed on the 180 days of change or just some time. I do have faith that Rachel Holt is capable of fixing this.

surlywynch

It is your job to check IDs.

And yeah, they constantly screw you, at least you got a notification instead of the money just dissappering from your statement.

Actually, no. I only found out about this AFTER they took the money out.

I try to make it a habit of checking the customer's app. Only once did a guy refuse, about a year and a half ago. He didn't ride. He then told me "You find out it doesn't pay to be an a-hole." After cancelling I immediately got a 2.1 surge call. Before leaving I took a glance and saw the look of disgust on his face when he saw the surge on his PAX app. I couldn't help rolling down my window and hollering, "You're right! It doesn't pay."

bassplya

I used to check for I.D's until I got accused of discrimination and practically punched in the face for refusing rides. So many idiots out there accept minors, so whenever I decline, it makes me look bad. I have a dash-cam, so it's just not worth the hassle anymore.

It just boggles my mind why Uber puts the driver in these types of situations. Why can't they screen better online? Someone shouldn't be able to sign up for Uber without proof of the ID and age. It's a really ugly situation that I hope to see fixed on the 180 days of change or just some time. I do have faith that Rachel Holt is capable of fixing this.
Which dash cam do you have?

RaleighUber440

Just a simple Uniden from Best Buy. I use a 32 gigabit card. Cam is usually around $60.00. I deducted it during tax season.

pengduck

At least put a picture of the pax that appears when you arrive.