Just when you thought things could not get any worse

From the article: "Uber will subsidize the GRH trips by up to $20,000 per year until June 30, 2022, according to SANDAG." Meaning, we get paid either way. I don't see how that is better or worse than before. Am I missing something?

JasonB

The ants will love this.

If Uber can just find a way to affix emergency roadside kits and tire irons to
ants' vehicles, they can soon put AAA out of business too.

NCRBILL

The only positive I see are these trips are long trips! But the dead miles back and traffic will be hell

Pesty

The only option they have is pool and when you need to get home now.. pool surely isn't the answer.
They'll be left standing on the curb the same as the rest of pool.

Oscar Levant

From the article: "Uber will subsidize the GRH trips by up to $20,000 per year until June 30, 2022, according to SANDAG." Meaning, we get paid either way. I don't see how that is better or worse than before. Am I missing something?

You can count on the fact that we wont be paid our full X rate, probably the pool rate, or less.

squeaky_ride

The ants will love this.

If Uber can just find a way to affix emergency roadside kits and tire irons to
ants' vehicles, they can soon put AAA out of business too.

Not mentioned is the extreme danger to the driver picking up somebody on the side of the freeway.

This program isn't for roadside emergencies and vanpool breakdowns...

From the article:
"Those enrolled in the program can call Uber for a free ride home up to three times per year, SANDAG officials said. If facing an emergency situation such as a medical problem, unscheduled overtime or being stuck because their carpool left early, commuters can call Uber for a ride home at no charge."

http://on.nbc7.com/nIVdYws

So PAX can get free rides now
How can it get any worse. I fail to see how this is bad for drivers. Uber is subsidizing this. I see it as an opportunity to get another ride, and it raises brand awareness to reach future customers.

You can count on the fact that we wont be paid our full X rate, probably the pool rate, or less.
Saying you'll get Pool rates or worse is just spreading fear of the unknown. My bet is this won't be Pool, or a new class. It'll just be another X ride. You won't know the difference. You can't be given a trip and told about a reduced fare later, that's not an option. And they can't tell drivers up front its a reduced rate fare. That would be a disservice to the rider as they could get rejected by a number of drivers like Pool is now. Pax would have to wait longer, potentially during a legitimate emergency (not just the "I missed my vanpool" crowd), and that would reflect poorly on Uber.

I've explained what Uber is to several people in the last month or so. Most have heard of it and admit they don't understand how it works. Surprisingly there are others that have never heard of it at all. Also, lots of first time riders on both U/L platforms. More outreach can be done. I see it as a positive and just another stream of revenue.

JasonB

This program isn't for roadside emergencies and vanpool breakdowns...

From the article:
"Those enrolled in the program can call Uber for a free ride home up to three times per year, SANDAG officials said. If facing an emergency situation such as a medical problem, unscheduled overtime or being stuck because their carpool left early, commuters can call Uber for a ride home at no charge."

Just because SANDAG officials didn't specify roadside assistance after the 'such as' part of their
quote, doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that pax won't view being stuck on the side
of the road as an 'emergency situation' and start tapping their phones rapidly, until their
free POO ride arrives to take them to safety.

619jerry

CheapPAX will find out ways to cheat the system.

I will give you one good example

Remember a couple years ago when for some reason UBER ESPAÑOL WAS 20 cents cheaper
Then uber X? I started noticing alot of pings were for ESPAÑOL and when i arrived to pick up the PAX, not a spanish speaking customer.

I asked a PAX one time if they spoke spanish and his reaponse was no! I ordered ESPAÑOL because it was cheaper.

Now, knowing that these bastards will try everything to get free rides, like the post that escoman posted about the lady getting her $900 dll refund because she did not know it was surging (very hard to believe).

REMEMBER THIS, PAX will catch on and when bars are closing and surging, GUESS WHAT? they will use their lifeline to avoid paying for surge. When you get that ping to save that PAX, do you think UBER will pay you for the surge?

squeaky_ride

"Fear of the unknown?" Isn't that a bit overly dramatic? C'mon :smiles:

If Uber is comping rides, it's logical to me they will pay us on the cheap, as well, which is why I suspect a pool rate, or something similar.
If it's in a different fare class the app will tell you before the ride. They aren't going to just pay you less and you find out later. If you don't want the fare class, don't accept.

Perhaps the way I phrased it was unintentionally over dramatic, but I still say it's FUD. What I said was no more dramatic than the headline of this post.:smiles:

None of these concerns are relevant.

"The GRH program provides commuters who choose to carpool, vanpool, take transit, bike, or walk to work with an emergency ride home via Uber, Yellow Cab, or Enterprise Rent-A-Car up to three times per year. Registered participants may use authorized vouchers to redeem rides home under the following circumstances:
• Personal or family illness or emergency
• Unscheduled overtime
• Stranded at work due to carpool or vanpool driver leaving for an emergency

The GRH program cannot be used for a ride to work, personal errands, appointments, business-related travel, or non-emergency side trips. Any trip taken for one of these purposes or without an authorized voucher will not be covered by SANDAG.

When using Yellow Cab or Uber, the GRH program will cover eligible trips home up to $100; this does not include driver gratuity. The Participant will be responsible for any cost exceeding this amount in addition to driver gratuity. When using Uber, an Uber account and access to a smart phone is required. If an Uber driver has to wait more than two minutes for the Participant to arrive at the car, the ride will be cancelled and the Participant’s Uber account will be charged a cancellation fee of $5.00. Participants will not receive additional promo codes due to cancelled rides."

http://www.icommutesd.com/docs/defa...aranteed-ride-home-guidelines_fy-18_final.pdf

Oscar Levant

If it's in a different fare class the app will tell you before the ride. They aren't going to just pay you less and you find out later. If you don't want the fare class, don't accept.

Perhaps the way I phrased it was unintentionally over dramatic, but I still say it's FUD. What I said was no more dramatic than the headline of this post.:smiles:

It wasn't about whether or not I, personally, would accept, or not, it's about Uber doing drivers on the cheap