Just started last night... I already have concerns and complaints

tatercakes

So I did a bit of a short run last night to see how driving for uber may or may not work for me.
Three trips. Two less than 4 miles, one little less than 20.
Suddenly I have a three star rating and no clue what I did to warrent it. I get the feeling that the star rating is abused. First passenger bragged how uber takes care of riders by giving free rides to riders who leave less than 5 stars.
Second rider had me piggy back into a gated community for a party.
Third was drunk and complained I wasn't "Nate" his usual uber driver.
So my question is... How do you recover and avoid this? I'm about to give up before I started.

tatercakes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
dont worry to much about ratings. be a normal driver, who drives safely and provide conversation if wanted. your rating will be fine.
Well they (uber) stressed so much about not falling below a 4* or you may not be able to drive.
Just wondering if I got unlucky or if this is what riders do for free rides

bart2puck

Im about ~200 rides, and i do nothing special.

- clean car
- open the door for them from the inside (reach back and open, i never get out of my car unless at airport)

- "what kind of music do you want to listen to?"
- "need to borrow my charger?"
- general conversation and safe driving, i'm at a 4.9.

I dont think the free ride thing is true. i could be wrong but i doubt it.

DrivingStPete

- clean car
- open the door for them from the inside (reach back and open, i never get out of my car unless at airport)

I'd replace open doors (Other than for seniors, the injured or mothers with a young child) with, Be Positive.

But other than that, don't sweat it.

tatercakes

Im about ~200 rides, and i do nothing special.

- clean car

Yeah, you hear a lot about free water and stuff. I don't really want to go down that road. I am a people person (which is one reason I thought this uber thing would work) and am not shy. Car is clean, I febreeze between rides because the passengers can stink. Idk.
I will say I don't know our downtown that well. I use the GPS. Still, someone left one star for that?
I really wish to get a rider base and driver referrals out here where I am (about 20 minutes outside the city) to do some weekday work. Long shot, I know.

JimS

Honestly, the water thing isn't a big deal to me. $2 for 16 12-oz bottles ain't gonna break me. The drunk crowd really appreciates it. I don't know this for 100% sure, and perhaps different markets are different, but I don't think they start threatening deactivation until about 500 rides.

I always use GPS so they know I'm not scamming them.

tatercakes

Honestly, the water thing isn't a big deal to me. $2 for 16 12-oz bottles ain't gonna break me. The drunk crowd really appreciates it. I don't know this for 100% sure, and perhaps different markets are different, but I don't think they start threatening deactivation until about 500 rides.

I always use GPS so they know I'm not scamming them.
That makes me feel better about using it. Two of the three were like, "you don't know where it is? People party there all the time" and "don't you drive to this place often"
I just don't want to tote around water, to be honest. I drive a Mazda 3 and to keep a cooler in the back would take storage room if someone needed it.
Call me crazy but getting them picked up quick and getting them there fast and safe should be enough. :wink:

DrivingStPete

They are Vols fans. Not your fault. (Sorry bad joke... Go Dawgs!)

Football season is upon us! First 2 Saturdays for the Vols will be good money. 3rd week sucks. Then six straight weeks of good match-ups. Even in the burbs you should be getting pings from any restaurant with beers and flat-screens.

Idk how you would create a rider base. The riders I've had more than once seem to be b/c 1- we live near each other 2- they need a ride at some obscure time I happen to be on.

If this is your only job... research what you really want to do between trips. Refine your cover letter and resume.

If this is a side job... research what you really want to do between trips. Refine your cover letter and resume. :smiles:

Most of all.. be positive. That $50 trip or $20 tip is only a ping away.

Hhmm, working on the resume and cover, probably makes the most sense though.

tatercakes

They are Vols fans. Not your fault. (Sorry bad joke... Go Dawgs!)

Football season is upon us! First 2 Saturdays for the Vols will be good money. 3rd week sucks. Then six straight weeks of good match-ups. Even in the burbs you should be getting pings from any restaurant with beers and flat-screens.

Idk how you would create a rider base. The riders I've had more than once seem to be b/c 1- we live near each other 2- they need a ride at some obscure time I happen to be on.

If this is your only job... research what you really want to do between trips. Refine your cover letter and resume.

If this is a side job... research what you really want to do between trips. Refine your cover letter and resume. :smiles:

Most of all.. be positive. That $50 trip or $20 tip is only a ping away.

Hhmm, working on the resume and cover, probably makes the most sense though.
So are you saying I should work on my resume? Lol

No harm on the vols comment... Not a football fan. Though I thought decking my ride out on ugly orange and white would help.

JimS

I just don't want to tote around water, to be honest. I drive a Mazda 3 and to keep a cooler in the back would take storage room if someone needed it.
Call me crazy but getting them picked up quick and getting them there fast and safe should be enough. :wink:
Enough for 4*, for sure, which, unfortunately is Uber for failure. It should be a three point scale: Didn't meet expectations, met expectations, and exceeded expectations. You get threatened when your rolling average drops below meets expectations. But that's not how it works, and riders don't understand that.

As for water, I don't chill it. Room temp is ok for most.

BurgerTiime

Did you think just because passengers are using app makes being a cheap taxi driver glamorous? Did you even call your insurance company and get the ok to dive? You are putting your life at risk for pennies.

DrivingStPete

ijs... gotta have a plan and an exit strategy lol

Honestly, the way SEC fans are... that ugly Orange and White might be a benefit. I'm a Dawg in Gator land. I'd have 1 Star rating week one if I were to do that.

And Jim is right... I don't know the number, but they aren't sweating your rating till at least 100 rides, or maybe 500. Not sure. Either way, first week, don't worry yourself.

Water is cheap enough, I agree. I just don't do it. I will let them charge their phones. Even had a rider who let me use his cord, when I left the house without my own.

tatercakes

Did you think just because passengers are using app makes being a cheap taxi driver glamorous? Did you even call your insurance company and get the ok to dive? You are putting your life at risk for pennies.
Glamorous? Ha! No. I'm just trying to feed my family while going to school. Few places pay well and allow you to make your schedule. Uber may not be the place either.

tatercakes

ijs... gotta have a plan and an exit strategy lol

Honestly, the way SEC fans are... that ugly Orange and White might be a benefit. I'm a Dawg in Gator land. I'd have 1 Star rating week one if I were to do that.

And Jim is right... I don't know the number, but they aren't sweating your rating till at least 100 rides, or maybe 500. Not sure. Either way, first week, don't worry yourself.

Water is cheap enough, I agree. I just don't do it. I will let them charge their phones. Even had a rider who let me use his cord, when I left the house without my own.
That is something I needed myself... A power cord. Good point.

Speaking of, how much data does the app tend to use? That's another expense that should be subtracted from "earnings".

JimS

That is something I needed myself... A power cord. Good point.

Speaking of, how much data does the app tend to use? That's another expense that should be subtracted from "earnings".
Heck...you're not exactly streaming video here. Ymmv. Send a *data# or whatever you're carrier uses before and after a shift.