Just rejected three separate riders in a row. Good job, uber!

ShinyAndChrome

I am in the suburbs this morning. Truly I have several towns entirely to myself. First ping was 10 miles/18 min away. Nice pleasant drive to get there but can I afford to? No. Is the guy going two miles away so that I lose money? Who knows.

Next ping similar--almost 20 min. Again ignored.

A few min later first guy pings again. He clearly needs a ride and can't get one. Too bad.

Now I am getting repeated pings for a 9.5 mile 20 min pickup in another area. Nope, not happening.

It is too bad because I am happy to drive out to nowhere and drive remote people, but until uber starts charging them more than what somebody in the city pays with a five min pickup I will never pick these people up. Ever.

Low acceptance % is a badge of honor, IMO.

backcountryrez

I am in the suburbs this morning. Truly I have several towns entirely to myself. First ping was 10 miles/18 min away. Nice pleasant drive to get there but can I afford to? No. Is the guy going two miles away so that I lose money? Who knows.

Low acceptance % is a badge of honor, IMO.

Sounds like you’ve picked up more than your fair share of SUNY Brockport students round tripping it to Wegmans.

mrpjfresh

Keep up the good work! Truly. It is the only way we will ever see change in this area of far-away pickups. I mean, they are already testing this in some markets and the majority of riders in the boonies know what an inconvenience it is and will pay more if they need a ride. But no, they are still dicking around with trivial issues instead of doing the logical and right thing here. Just the potential money left on the table here from drivers rejecting these would seemingly be enough incentive. Even the most desperate of ants learn to say no to 20 minute pings in my experience. Ah well.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Last night I got 4 pings in a row for 18, 19, 12, and 15 minutes out. I said Hell No to all of them. I finally answered the 5th one, 9 minutes out. ( Normally I don't answer those either but pax was in car and watching . ) The app didn't slide me offline after the first 3 unanswered requests I assume because they were coming through while I was already on a trip. I had to try and explain to my pax in my car that they were too far away, which is why I wasn't answering them. "Oh you guys don't like pick ups far away?"

I explained to her why it wasn't profitable for me to go more than 10 miles to get someone who might be going 2 miles. "Oh ok.....but that's not fair to the passenger."

:mad:Ugh!! I do not have time for this! I tell her this is my car, my gas, I'm a college student and don't have a lot of time to be out here anyway, so it needs to be profitable while I am here, so what's the point of burning money?

"Mmmmn............Ok."

She didn't complain to Uber but this morning I got a message from Uber telling me how they understand that I can't except every trip request, so can I please go offline when I am unable to answer request. I was on a trip! On the freeway! These far away requests came in rapid fire. I was not going to start fumbling through my app to try and stop new requests while driving on the freeway just to have my pax report me for safety. I wouldn't be fooling with my app anyways even alone if I'm on the freeway or in heavy traffic. I didn't even respond to Ubers message. It's my day off. I don't want to spend it with 25 emails to support explaining this.

Mars Troll Number 4

Last night I got 4 pings in a row for 18, 19, 12, and 15 minutes out. I said Hell No to all of them. I finally answered the 5th one, 9 minutes out. ( Normally I don't answer those either but pax was in car and watching . ) The app didn't slide me offline after the first 3 unanswered requests I assume because they were coming through while I was already on a trip. I had to try and explain to my pax in my car that they were too far away, which is why I wasn't answering them. "Oh you guys don't like pick ups far away?"

I explained to her why it wasn't profitable for me to go more than 10 miles to get someone who might be going 2 miles. "Oh ok.....but that's not fair to the passenger."

:mad:Ugh!! I do not have time for this! I tell her this is my car, my gas, I'm a college student and don't have a lot of time to be out here anyway, so it needs to be profitable while I am here, so what's the point of burning money?

"Mmmmn............Ok."

She didn't complain to Uber but this morning I got a message from Uber telling me how they understand that I can't except every trip request, so can I please go offline when I am unable to answer request. I was on a trip! On the freeway! These far away requests came in rapid fire. I was not going to start fumbling through my app to try and stop new requests while driving on the freeway just to have my pax report me for safety. I wouldn't be fooling with my app anyways even alone if I'm on the freeway or in heavy traffic. I didn't even respond to Ubers message. It's my day off. I don't want to spend it with 25 emails to support explaining this.

I had never had days off with uber, if i wasn't driving i was sending support tickets trying to get tolls, cancel ect...

And going long distances for pickups can be WORSE for that customer than them waiting for a closer driver to pop up.

Julescase

"Mmmmn............Ok."

I get that message about being online but not accepting trips every single day, it's automatically generated if you don't accept every request sent your way.

You really don't need to explain to your passenger why you're choosing not to drive 20 minutes out of your way to pick someone up that might be going less than 1 mile, and you should never feel like you have to accept pings that come through while you're on a ride with pax in the car; it's not any of their business whether or not you accept rides.

Also, I am baffled by your passenger's response about not being fair to the person sending the request!! We don't have signed agreements with every human being in the country stating that we will always be there to pick them up when they request a ride, regardless of how far away we are and how inconvenient it would be to drive the 4 miles and waste 4 miles worth of gas only to find out you'll be making less than three dollars for the ride. Where do you drive? it sounds pretty sparse!!. I don't drive more than five minutes to pick someone up, or over a mile, in fact, I don't even know if I would go more than half a mile. I can't imagine wasting so much gas just getting to a passenger, hopefully it's worth it to you and if you're the only driver around, you got a good thing going. Supply & Demand, baby!! :smiles:

disp350

Ubers pings are notoriously incorrect on time and distance. Last night I get a pool with 3 pax. I tell them I can't take 3 on pool and they understand. They cancel the pool, I get the rider cancelled notification. They wait 30 seconds and request X. I get a ping for 5 miles away and ignore it since we can't see the address. I hit No Thanks. 20 seconds later I get another 5 mile ping. I look closely this time and see it's from the pax sitting next to me in the front seat. I'm like WTF! How can Ubers app think the person is 5 miles from me! I accept and it wanted me to drive" a little closer" before it considered me at the pickup spot. So while I'm not saying this happens all the time, I get plenty of 4 mile 10 minute pings that magically become 2 miles and 4 minutes once navigation on Google Maps opens up.

Julescase

"Mmmmn............Ok."

Also, I forgot to ask you this: why did you think she would she complain to Uber about you? Did something else happen?? These pax sound quite atrocious!

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Also, I forgot to ask you this: why did you think she would she complain to Uber about you? Did something else happen?? These pax sound quite atrocious!
Seattle is not sparse. It's the second tech hub to San Francisco. Start ups like Amazon, Microsoft, and Bungie, plus Starbucks, Costco, also have tech, we got Nintendo, Expedia, F5, Zoolily,............The problem is that in traffic, 4 miles away can be 14 to 20 minutes at times. Especially if I'm on a short trip and and event just let out. They want me to finish my trip and then double back to get more, which if fine with me, but let me pick my level of surge not them. Every time I've answered a 14 minute request in Seattle, the pax cancel almost immediately. Then I get another 15 minute request...... Cancel!!

We have 20,000 Uber drivers on the platform. (According to Brooke Steger our GM at our last Uber Meeting. Once or twice a month Uber invites 100 of their drivers to meet with corporate big wigs. They buy us fancy food and discuss Uber politics with us. Why? Cuz it's up here in Seattle that the city ordinance is trying to shut down Uber if they don't let us vote for a Union.)

Anyways It's an ocean of Prius' on the roads here. Pax won't wait more than 7 minutes before cancelling and requesting again. They can literally see packs of parked or cruising Prius'.

Also Uber likes to try and send drivers to a sparsly covered neighboring town if all their drivers are in one area due to an event or lots of surge. Once I was in Seattle at around 11:30 pm on a Sunday night, and I got a request for the Airport, 23 miles and 27 minutes away at that time of night. I looked at the airport Queue and there were no cars in it. Not my problem, there was a Seahawks game due to let out soon in Downtown Seattle and I was heading there to get in position.

That pax's request came in 2 more times before I went offline to avoid getting timed out by Uber. I imagine he finally got a new driver to come get him or he called a cab.

As for the lady, my passenger.....no nothing happened. Just her huffy response to me not accepting requests. I didn't say a thing at first about my phone going off rapid fire. She was the one who asked, " Your not going to answer those?" Since we do have a Uber Corporate office here and I've had many Uber employees as pax before.....I mildly suspected her and so I explained myself.

I constantly read on this board about drivers getting falsly accused of something because they didn't allow pax to break the rules, so I never underestimate what low levels a pax will stoop to in order to get a free ride.

BTW, you can read about Uber's freak out about the impending Union here:

https://www.uber.com/drive/seattle/collective-bargaining/get-the-details/

grayspinner

You should 'stop new requests' before you start driving the pax (unless your drop off spot is in a surge area where the surge is likely to decrease). This will solve a lot of your issues.

Something else to remember is that the time to pax on stacked requests include the time you will spend dropping off your first pax. So if you are 12 min from your pax's destination and get a ping that says 13 min, the second person is one minute from your drop off point.

Also, don't worry about those notes scolding you for not accepting a pimg. Uber won't do anything for low acceptance rate.

ShinyAndChrome

Keep up the good work! Truly. It is the only way we will ever see change in this area of far-away pickups. I mean, they are already testing this in some markets and the majority of riders in the boonies know what an inconvenience it is and will pay more if they need a ride. But no, they are still dicking around with trivial issues instead of doing the logical and right thing here. Just the potential money left on the table here from drivers rejecting these would seemingly be enough incentive. Even the most desperate of ants learn to say no to 20 minute pings in my experience. Ah well.
I had a 10 min tonight and I would have said yes but it was 6.81 miles back down the highway. I clicked no thanks with joy. 53% acceptance rating right now. I am doing my part!

Seattle is not sparse. It's the second tech hub to San Francisco. Start ups like Amazon, Microsoft, and Bungie, plus Starbucks, Costco, also have tech, we got Nintendo, Expedia, F5, Zoolily,............The problem is that in traffic, 4 miles away can be 14 to 20 minutes at times. Especially if I'm on a short trip and and event just let out. They want me to finish my trip and then double back to get more, which if fine with me, but let me pick my level of surge not them. Every time I've answered a 14 minute request in Seattle, the pax cancel almost immediately. Then I get another 15 minute request...... Cancel!!

We have 20,000 Uber drivers on the platform. (According to Brooke Steger our GM at our last Uber Meeting. Once or twice a month Uber invites 100 of their drivers to meet with corporate big wigs. They buy us fancy food and discuss Uber politics with us. Why? Cuz it's up here in Seattle that the city ordinance is trying to shut down Uber if they don't let us vote for a Union.)

Anyways It's an ocean of Prius' on the roads here. Pax won't wait more than 7 minutes before cancelling and requesting again. They can literally see packs of parked or cruising Prius'.

Also Uber likes to try and send drivers to a sparsly covered neighboring town if all their drivers are in one area due to an event or lots of surge. Once I was in Seattle at around 11:30 pm on a Sunday night, and I got a request for the Airport, 23 miles and 27 minutes away at that time of night. I looked at the airport Queue and there were no cars in it. Not my problem, there was a Seahawks game due to let out soon in Downtown Seattle and I was heading there to get in position.

That pax's request came in 2 more times before I went offline to avoid getting timed out by Uber. I imagine he finally got a new driver to come get him or he called a cab.

As for the lady, my passenger.....no nothing happened. Just her huffy response to me not accepting requests. I didn't say a thing at first about my phone going off rapid fire. She was the one who asked, " Your not going to answer those?" Since we do have a Uber Corporate office here and I've had many Uber employees as pax before.....I mildly suspected her and so I explained myself.

I constantly read on this board about drivers getting falsly accused of something because they didn't allow pax to break the rules, so I never underestimate what low levels a pax will stoop to in order to get a free ride.

23 miles!!! That is over $5 total expenses + time just to get there!! Obscene.

Julescase

Thank You for thr link!!

I don't blame you for being a little paranoid about Uber corporate folks being passengers; I'd probably assume every passenger is an Uber employee also, given the circumstances!! Yikes.

I'm going to read the link now, thanks again for including that. :smiles: