1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Just received this email from Uber this morning......

Discussion in 'Notifications' started by UberTaxPro, May 19, 2017.

1. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Making Earnings Easier to Understand
    Hi xxxxx,

Our commitment to you is to be clear and straightforward about your earnings. We’re making a number of changes that will make your earnings easier to understand and access. We will also be updating our driver partner agreement to more clearly reflect the way you earn. This will take effect on Monday, May 22nd.

These updates will not change your earnings. This is not a rate cut. You’ll earn the same amount, for the same trip, on Monday, as you do today.

Here are the changes we’re making:

• Easier to understand rates — You’ll see the exact rates you earn for every minute and every mile you drive.Previously, you needed to deduct Uber’s service fee from your rates to determine your earnings. Now, no math is required. You’ll always know exactly what you’ll earn. Rates are based on your Uber activation date. You can see all the rates atpartners.uber.com

starting Monday.
    • Clearer in-app earnings pages — In response to your requests for more clarity in our earnings calculations, we have updated our trip receipts. You’ll see a clear breakdown of how your trip earnings were calculated. These details include minimum or base fare, plus time and distance, and any promotions. Fare details, including what the rider paid and Uber’s service fee, can be viewed by tapping “Fare Details” on the trip receipt.
    • Faster fare receipts — Seeing what you earn in real-time is important. Our goal is to have earnings details available in the app within 15 seconds after a trip ends.
    • Cash out more earnings, anytime — We’re making Boost available for immediate cash out through Instant Pay

. This summer, look for us to do the same with earnings from Quest.
    [​IMG]

As part of our effort to make earnings straightforward and easy to understand, we’re also updating our driver partner agreement

. These changes reflect that there are times when what a rider pays may be higher or lower than what you earn for a trip. Separating rider payments from driver fares allows us to keep your rates consistent, while offering new ride options like subscriptions. You’ll continue to earn based on the minimum and/or base fare, time and distance rates, plus applicable promotions as you do today. The next time you go online you’ll receive an in-app notification and agreement request for the updated driver partner agreement.

To experience these updates you will need to update your driver app. Please update to the latest version of the Android

or iOS

app before May 21st. After that, updating your app will be required to go online and drive.

We hope these changes will improve your driving experience and provide more clarity about your earnings.

Thank you for choosing to drive with Uber.

2. ACHUMA

ACHUMA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've had this in my Android app for quite a few months now. Not sure why they felt they needed to make a huge announcement over something so minor.

3. Jo3030

Jo3030 Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    They are basically saying they are able to rip off the passengers and only pay you for time & distance now, officially.
    By agreeing to the agreement, you can't sue them.

AVLien, UberXTampa, Elder66 and 34 others like this.
  4. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Exactly. Under the terms of the current driver agreements, a driver could make the case that Uber owes the driver for not just a % of base/time/mileage, but also for the difference between that actual fare and the 'ESTIMATED/UP-FRONT FARE'. Uber needed to close that ambiguity in the driver agreement. Under the terms of the current agreement, all a rider and driver have to do is request that Uber reduce the fare to the 'actual' fare (agreed upon between rider and driver) and Uber would legally have to comply - the driver's earnings would stay the same, but Uber would be out the jacked up difference.

It will be interesting to see the wording of the new driver agreement and if it removes the whole bit about how riders are the direct customers of the driver and how Uber is 'only' a third party payer and how fares are only 'recommended fares to be used as defaults in the even that riders & drivers don't request a different fare basis'. If that is all eliminated, Uber contractually takes control of all rider fares and moves one step closer to losing the argument about how they are not an employer of the driver.

5. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

A.K.A.= sugar coating theft and deciet.

Attached Files:

khanman, UberTaxPro, grams777 and 4 others like this.

6. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Driver Partner Agreement

RASIER, LLC
    ADDENDUM

Last update: May 22, 2017

You entered into a Technology Services Agreement with Rasier, LLC or one of its affiliates (“Company”, “we” or “us”) for the use of the Uber Services in connection with your Transportation Services (as amended, the “Agreement”). This is an addendum to that Agreement that updates fare and payment terms and replaces Section 4 (Financial Terms) of the Agreement in its entirety. By clicking “Yes, I agree”, you agree to be bound by the additional terms below.

Capitalized terms used herein but not defined shall have the meanings ascribed to them in the Agreement, and, for the purposes of this addendum, “Ride” shall have the same meaning as “Transportation Services” and “Rider” shall have the same meaning as “User”. Except where modified above, the remainder of the Agreement shall remain unchanged. This addendum replaces and supersedes any “Service Fee Addendum” or “Service Fee Schedule” that you have previously agreed to.

Section 4 of the Agreement is replaced in its entirety with the following:

4. Financial Terms

4.1 Fares. You are entitled to a Fare for each Ride that you provide, where “Fare” is a base fare amount
    plus actual distance and/or time amounts (or as required by applicable law), provided that distance
    and/or time amounts may be predetermined in certain situations, such as for flat rate and minimum
    fare trips, or estimated where GPS information for that trip is unavailable. Fares vary by region
    (detailed at partners.uber.com), may vary depending on local supply and demand, and may also be
    adjusted in our discretion based on local market factors. We will provide you with notice of any
    change to any base fare or applicable distance and/or time amounts, as well as flat rate and
    minimum trip fares, and by continuing to use the Uber Services, you are deemed to accept these
    changes. The Fare does not include gratuity. Additionally, even though we often separately advertise
    and market the Uber Services and other products and services generally (including discounts or
    promotions to Riders that reduce what they ultimately pay for a Ride), this does not entitle you to
    any additional payment.

Unless we indicate to you otherwise, for each Ride, the Rider will pay an amount that includes the
    Fare, applicable Tolls, applicable fees retained by us, and applicable taxes and surcharges, as well as
    the Service Fee described in Paragraph 4.4 below (collectively, the “Rider Payment”). You appoint us
    as your disclosed limited payment collection agent solely to accept the Rider Payment from Riders
    via the Uber Services’ payment processing functionality, and the Rider Payment to us (acting as your
    agent) is treated the same as if that Rider paid you directly for that Ride. The Rider Payment is the
    only payment that will be made to you by a Rider for a particular Ride. By accepting a Ride, you
    indicate your agreement to charge the Rider Payment at the amount recommended by us as your
    agent.
    The Fare portion of the Rider Payment shall operate as a default, but following completion of
    a Ride you are entitled to request to charge a lower Fare, and we will consider these requests in
    good faith.
    Your Fares and applicable Tolls will be remitted to you on at least a weekly basis. If you have
    agreed to any other amounts being deducted from your Fares with any party (such as vehicle
    financing or lease payments, or mobile device charges), those amounts will be deducted before
    remittance to you, and we may determine the order of these other deductions if allowed by law.
    If reasonable, we may adjust a particular Rider Payment (including the Fare portion) for reasons
    such as inefficient routes, failure to properly end a Ride or technical error on our Services. In more
    serious situations, such as fraud, charges for Rides that did not take place or Rider complaints, we
    may cancel or refund a Rider Payment entirely (including the Fare portion). If a Rider cancels their
    Ride prior to your arrival at the pick-up location, we may charge that Rider a cancellation fee on your
    behalf, and in this case the cancellation fee will be treated the same as a Rider Payment for
    completed Rides.

4.2 Receipts. The Uber Services provide you with a system for delivering receipts to your Riders. At the
    end of a Ride, the receipt will be electronically delivered to your Rider on your behalf. It includes a
    breakdown of amounts charged and certain information about you and that Ride (including your
    details and the route taken). If you think a correction should be made to the amounts charged, you
    must let us know in writing within 15 business days after the Ride took place or we will have no
    further responsibility and you waive your right to later dispute the amounts charged.

4.3 Taxes. You are required to follow applicable law regarding your tax registration, calculation and
    remittance obligations for your Rides and provide us with all relevant tax information. You are
    responsible for taxes on your own income. Based on applicable tax or regulatory considerations, we
    may choose in our reasonable discretion to collect and remit taxes applicable to your Rides, and may
    provide any of the relevant tax information you have given us directly to the applicable tax
    authorities on your behalf or otherwise. For the purpose of this section, references to “tax” includes
    federal and state income, gross receipts, sales and self-employment taxes, and similar charges.

4.4 Our Service Fee. In consideration of your use of the Uber Services, you will pay us a service fee
    (“Service Fee”) that is on a per-Ride basis. For each Ride, the Service Fee equals the Rider Payment
    minus: (a) the Fare; (b) Tolls; (c) any other fees retained by us (e.g., booking fee); and (d) applicable
    taxes and surcharges. In the event of a Ride where the Fare is greater than the Rider Payment
    (excluding fees retained by us, and taxes and surcharges), no Service Fee will be charged for that
    Ride. In such case, any excess amounts that you receive will be shown as an adjustment to your
    Service Fee(s) (or if necessary, as an adjustment to another payment owed to you).

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    DexNex, UberTaxPro, just_me and 2 others like this.
  7. Jo3030

Jo3030 Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    More scams by Uber!

8. tohunt4me

Nothing but a Scam !

9. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

It was a serious stretch of logic to make the argument that before you were entitled to receive a flat % of what they charged the pax. The new addendum spells it out clearly though - you are paid time and distance at your city rates plus surge or promos, if any.

10. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    IMO, that never has been the real issue. To me (and I hope the courts!) the real issue is that Uber continues to state in the agreement that all fares that they publish and charge are 'default' fares used in the event that a fare is not negotiated between the rider and driver... and now this addendum says the same thing but adds: you agree to the default ("recommended") fare. In other words, Uber, as always, wants it both ways. They are stating that drivers are independent contractors with control over the fares they charge - but also saying that drivers have to agree to use the fares 'recommended' by Uber - and now also saying that, 'oh, btw, not really - we may charge the rider more with 'UPFRONT PRICING' but we'll still only pay you on the actual time/mileage/base rate'. Uber is stepping all over itself with this with contradictions both in payments structure and employee classification.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  11. Mazda3

Mazda3 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm driving the long way wherever I go with the pax.

12. LA Cabbie

LA Cabbie Well-Known Member

IMG_1377.PNG lol driver continuing to earn minimum fares while uber makes extra cash by ripping off the passengers.

khanman, UberTaxPro, iUBERdc and 6 others like this.
  13. anteetr

anteetr Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
  14. tohunt4me

Attached Files:

15. mattadams

mattadams Well-Known Member

I got the same email and was a little confused, I probably read it a few times. To me though it doesn't seem like anything is changing, at least as far as what we are paid. The only confusion for me seems to be the differences between the flat rate and what we're paid. When most of us signed up, passengers were given "estimates" of their ride, but didn't really know what it'd cost until the ride was over as it wouldn't be calculated until we finished the trip... Then, whatever the final fare was, we got 75%, uber got 25% (or 80/20 if you were in early enough).
    Now, most are given upfront pricing, which is based on estimates of time and routes taken, but the actual time and distance might be greater or lesser, but we still get paid based on the routes we take... assuming we're not going obviously out of our way, that hasn't really changed that I'm aware of. For example, if a person is going from the airport to a hotel downtown, they might get quoted $30 based on the expected mileage, tolls, and distance the system assumes it will take. They still get charged $30 even if you end up sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and the ride takes 10 minutes longer than expected, or you decide to take the toll road instead for a quicker route, even though that wasn't in the original estimate. I think their estimations for the most part are probably pretty close, but I'm sure there are plenty of instances where that ends up not being the case. It might be that the final ride would've actually cost them $35 or $25... but we still get paid based on the $25 or $35 that the ride would've actually cost, even though the rider still only pays the $30.

UberTaxPro likes this.
  16. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That would be great if it worked that way in the real world. Unfortunately, the way it works most of the time is that the UPFRONT PRICE Uber charges the rider is significantly more than the actual time/miles on which we are paid - and Uber pockets the difference, thus boosting their revenues and earnings - in effect, raising the fare the that riders pay without compensating drivers any more - and boosting the Uber bottom line of profitability.

17. mattadams

mattadams Well-Known Member

Personally I have no issue with this. I get that it is their right to make as much money as they can and I have the right to either accept the rates I'm offered, or not.
    In my real job, my time is often contracted out through my employer. The rate that the customer pays is often thousands of dollars more per week than I earn. I am perfectly ok with it, because I've agreed to tthe salary I receive, and I acknowledge that much of that money also goes to salaries of people who support me but aren't being paid directly, or to administrative costs, etc. I acknowledge that I in no way could earn the kind of money I'm earning without the company doing all the work for me that they are doing.
    It isn't that different from uber really. I could never make the kind of money on my own, with the technology investments, the marketing, the bookkeeping, etc. If they are able to charge the customer a little more and I still earn a decent rate, I don't have issue with it...

NorCalPhil, NITWITone, cindym and 4 others like this.
  18. Chargersrt10

Chargersrt10 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I can bet there is a change that Uber Is Not telling us about...................

19. Charlie Schwartz

Charlie Schwartz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "If reasonable, we may adjust a particular Rider Payment (including the Fare portion) for reasons
    such as inefficient routes, failure to properly end a Ride or technical error on our Services."

Huh? I mean, I know they've always been doing this, but huh? Is Uber our boss or something?

20. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    "decent rate" being the operative phrase. All I've seen from Uber since I started driving with them is 3 earnings decreases while they increased their earnings with direct charges to the rider.

Last edited: May 19, 2017