Just Need to Vent!!

TKDmom

To be fair, would YOU tip for that?
I would, because it was my stupid idea for ordering it in the first place. Granted, not everyone thinks that way. I had one woman, who requested her fries to be cooked and "NO SOGGY FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!" she was a good 15 minute drive. Girl, those fries will be soggy. I could poke holes in the box, to let the steam out, but then I'm sure she wouldn't be able to figure the reason why there are holes in it.

NYUber123

I have a theory on this because it has been going on for about 3-4mos in my market. Most of the time customers have no clue and think they have ordered from the locations closest to them. In many of the issues we see, there's a lot of user error, but this is happening far too often to be user error.

I think Uber is trying to act on customer pain points and are now routing deliveries to the closest available driver for chain restaurant orders.

For example: You are across town and the customer places an order to Bahama Breeze near them, but there are no available drivers to pickup in a reasonable amount of time. I think Uber is sending the request to the chain nearest to us which creates some longer deliveries for us but ensures the customer isn't waiting for a driver to pickup and deliver cold food.

This would also explain the rapid fire pings in my market, as they want to secure a driver for a newly routed pickup as soon as possible. Uber doesnt seem to be as flexible with customer refunds as they were in the past. I think this was their newest resolution.
This does not make sense. If the food is coming from much further, it's still not going to get to the customer warm. If the restaurant is ten miles from the eater, a driver still has to get to the restaurant, wait on the order (it's probably not ready if the driver was close) and then drive ten miles to the eater. Uber is also giving these far deliveries to bikers too, so that they can take even longer.

kiltedcameraman

I have actually asked customers about this, and I usually get three answers. 1. This is the one I order from at work and didn't think about changing location (my wife actually did this once as well). 2. There was a lower delivery fee from that location (I have seen this in the order app as well). 3. I would have, but that location wasn't showing up tonight (restaurant having difficulty, or turned off due to high business. There is a fourth that I suspect as well, the "I saw McD's and didn't think to check the address," order.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

This does not make sense. If the food is coming from much further, it's still not going to get to the customer warm. If the restaurant is ten miles from the eater, a driver still has to get to the restaurant, wait on the order (it's probably not ready if the driver was close) and then drive ten miles to the eater. Uber is also giving these far deliveries to bikers too, so that they can take even longer.
It actually does make sense. It's based on timing because Uber knows where you are, (as well as other drivers who are near the area and not near, and whether they are on a delivery and where it's going) and they also know the restaurant, and average prep times.

Everything is based on calculations, just as they have been in the past except it allows Uber to be able to say your order has been picked up probably 20 mins sooner than it wouldve been waiting on a driver.

Then again it's just a theory, because we are getting a lot of far deliveries from chain restaurants that have closer locations to the customer.

Invisible

It actually does make sense. It's based on timing because Uber knows where you are, (as well as other drivers who are near the area and not near, and whether they are on a delivery and where it's going) and they also know the restaurant, and average prep times.
And they also know if you’ve been working a certain area for hours, you’re likely to stay in that area to take the order.

AtomicBlonde

Everything is based on calculations, just as they have been in the past except it allows Uber to be able to say your order has been picked up probably 20 mins sooner than it wouldve been waiting on a driver.

Then again it's just a theory, because we are getting a lot of far deliveries from chain restaurants that have closer locations to the customer.
I mentioned the one Teriyaki Madness that I get all the crazy pings from. Yesterday I got a $10 ping from there and accepted. At the time I got the ping I was across the street from another Teriyaki Madness location. I drove the 4 miles to get the food, and the customer was another 7 miles from there, and about a mile from yet another location of the same restaurant. So the one he ordered from wasn't the closest either to me or to him. (Indeed, it would have been faster if he'd ordered from the one I was sitting near and could go straight to him.)

uberdriver09

what's up with Mcslow? I get a ping to go there and it's 10 minutes to get there okay no problem I just dropped in RPV and it's back in my zone anyway. I get there take a peek and my order isn't there. Go use the restroom real quick so now its been 15 minutes. After another 5 I catch the ladies attention and she checks and tells me they haven't even posted the order on their end yet. Okay so I'm a patient guy but after another 5-10 minutes I left. Maybe they should have someone dedicated to uber orders only?

boogeyman

I spilled a couple giant Popeyes. And their holders are like a quarter inch. As I was getting in my car. One fell outside the car, one inside. Ruined my entire evening.
At least they gave me new ones. No charge.
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your POV, women have no offensive protruding body parts that they can dip in the food/drinks.
What's so offensive about men's protruding body parts?? =)

Jbstevens88

Friday - 6 trips - 100% tips
Sunday 18 trips - 0% tips.
Statistically, what are the odds of this happening. I accepted 6 trips and all tipped, and 2 days later I accept 18, and NONE tip.

blondebaedc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Friday - 6 trips - 100% tips
Sunday 18 trips - 0% tips.
Statistically, what are the odds of this happening. I accepted 6 trips and all tipped, and 2 days later I accept 18, and NONE tip.
I think its just the nature of the beast with UberEATS. My average tip rate on the platform is 46%.

Average tip rate on GrubHub is 93%.

That's a huge discrepancy and I think it has a lot to do with both customer and driver experience within the app(s).

I don’t run as much GH as I used to because I kept having long wait at restaurants, and kept getting problem orders that were taking too much time.
Ok so what's up with this!? The order is NEVER ready when I get to the restaurant. I'm walking in as they are reading the ticket. Since I've been doing GrubHub, I usually have to wait at least 10-15 minutes for the food. One time I got to the restaurant and they hadn't even seen the ticket yet, they had to read it off my phone. I contacted support and they re-sent it to the restaurant, but still.

With UberEATS the food is ready to go 9x out of 10 when you walk in the place.

Also, one thing I do like about UberEATS is you can get 2 pings for 1 restaurant. I haven't had that with GrubHub yet.

I picked up at a place last week with GH, delivered it, then 2 minutes later got a ping for the same restaurant. Seemed like something that could have been a double delivery. Does anyone know if GH does that??

Last edited:

Invisible

I think its just the nature of the beast with UberEATS. My average tip rate on the platform is 46%.

Average tip rate on GrubHub is 93%.

That's a huge discrepancy and I think it has a lot to do with both customer and driver experience within the app(s).

Ok so what's up with this!? The order is NEVER ready when I get to the restaurant. I'm walking in as they are reading the ticket. Since I've been doing GrubHub, I usually have to wait at least 10-15 minutes for the food. One time I got to the restaurant and they hadn't even seen the ticket yet, they had to read it off my phone. I contacted support and they re-sent it to the restaurant, but still.

With UberEATS the food is ready to go 9x out of 10 when you walk in the place.
To answer your last question, I didn’t include in the quotes, yes there have been many times I received a double order w GH picking up both from the restaurant at the same time. It could several reasons: one order came in later, one order would take longer to make, it was assigned to another driver who later cancelled or they goofed up and should’ve assigned both at same time. The times I do double orders w/ GH are also very busy. Unlike UE, GH does pay full amount when you take 2 orders at same time.

As far as GH and waiting longer at restaurants, some people don’t have that problem in their region. But I do. So many restaurants have told me saying some drivers were so late picking up the orders or they never picked them up, so that’s why they didn’t start making food til driver arrived. Some restaurants are just too busy.

I’ve written it before, GH used to be the best, but something changed this year and they went downhill. Don’t wait too long at a restaurant. You’ll know the restaurants with longer waits the more you go to.

You could try working both at same time. When I do multiple apps, that doesn’t mean I accept multiple pings from the apps at same time. When I get a decent ping for UE, then I pause GH or vice versa.

Launchpad McQuack

LOL. But these apps aren’t a marriage, just a one sided partnership where they tell me where to go and how to act. If I choose to cheat on one app, I can. That’s the beauty of being an IC.
I was running both Uber Eats and GrubHub last night. GrubHub has been really slow for the past week or so. I was getting fairly steady pings from Uber all night. I only got one ping from GrubHub during that time. I was running GrubHub off block, but then around 9:30 p.m. one of the 9:00-11:00 blocks opened up so I took it. I got no pings at all for the entire hour and a half. I did four Uber Eats deliveries during that time. So I pocketed about $13 from the Uber deliveries and got an extra $13 from the GrubHub minimum hourly guarantee for doing nothing.

Launchpad McQuack

That’s nice to get paid for nothing.
It's been happening a lot with GrubHub the past week. On Saturday, I did 3.5 hours on block. I got one ping the entire time, so they ended up paying me $50 to do one delivery. Of course, I don't foresee that this is going to last. I'm sure they keep a pretty close eye on when they're paying out the guarantee and take steps to try to prevent it from happening. I noticed that they changed the block structure for this week. I would imagine that is probably in response to paying out so much guarantee last week.