1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Just got out of court ...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by UberBastid, Jun 26, 2017.

1. SaintCl89

SaintCl89 Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    This is why red light cameras are becoming illegal in most states. There is no proof to support who was behind the wheel of the vehicle.

2. Tr4vis Ka1anick

Tr4vis Ka1anick Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Isn't the proper term demand for discovery? Could be different state by state. Always send a demand for discovery certified mail.
    Bombard them with a demand for discovery for anything pertinent as per the OP.

Nice work. I like how the judge tried to bully you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. Graham_DC

Graham_DC Well-Known Member

I swear judges don't do anything. If the DA/cop says prosecute, they will. If the DA/cop says dismiss, they will.

4. SaintCl89

SaintCl89 Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    There is no cop associated with red light cameras. It's people state of (enter state here) vs. (owner of vehicle)

5. Carbalbm

Carbalbm Active Member

The one I received from SF a year ago said the video was reviewed by an SF police officer. I think that is how they are trying to get around having someone testify against you since the camera cannot.

6. SaintCl89

SaintCl89 Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's odd. It should be reviewed by a private contractor. But I'm not from San Fran.

7. Carbalbm

Carbalbm Active Member

I imagine the initial review to determine if I ran the red was done by a private contractor. But then before the ticket is issued I believe SFPD reviews and signs off.

8. SaintCl89

SaintCl89 Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Very possible Good show!

9. SaintCl89

SaintCl89 Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    traffic court is kangaroo court anyway.

Trafficat likes this.
  10. Woohaa

Woohaa Well-Known Member

You stated that he "sat back down" but never stated that he stood up?

11. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    10/10 would read again.

....and they said all those nights binge watching 1,086 episodes through 50 combined seasons of Law & order would never pay off!

Jtdub likes this.
  12. June132017

June132017 Active Member

Why was the ticket so high? $800? Maybe I misunderstood?

13. Chauffeur_James

Chauffeur_James Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Same here in Phoenix, the ticket was signed "digitally" by a police officer. They have to be the "witness" to the offense

14. colpuck

colpuck Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    FTFY

15. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  16. Bpr2

Bpr2 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Priniciple of the thing.

17. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

Your rights under the law are not a secret. They've been pretty well publicized for over two hundred years.
    I am 65 years old, I have had to do research before the internet. I've spend DAYS in a library doing research that now I can do with a laptop in my own living room in a few hours.
    There is no excuse for not knowing how to defend yourself in simple matters.
    I only exercise the rights I want to keep.
    Many, many people have fought and died for the rights I enjoy. Not using them is a kick in the nads to EVERY person who has been in uniform and served.

I had nothing to lose. If I'd of lost I would have paid the same fine, same points on my record, same insurance effect.

I expect that, as the thread matures. There's one in every group. A sheeple who believes that the authorities are always right. I don't care about them, their soul is lost.

It is an amazing income source for the City of Redding. Last year it was reported (I believe 2014) it netted over $1.2 mil, and since then they've installed two more cameras. The ticket is, I believe $560. Then there's court costs, and if you want to take a course to save the points you pay the court more, AND the school.
    They are hurting people who really can't afford to pay, and don't have the intelligence or ability to fight.

And someone else commented that it was too long ... *sigh*.
    Are you an English Composition teacher? Did that ruin the story for you? Is that the only thing you took from the story? You going to ding me one star for that?

GasHealthTimeCosts and Spotscat like this.
  18. Woohaa

Woohaa Well-Known Member

Fictional stories do have their place I suppose.

19. MHR

MHR Well-Known Member

In Texas red light camera tickets are not police actionable citations. No dings on a driver's license and if you don't pay they can't arrest you. Most people here don't pay them.

Some counties can try to keep you from registering your vehicle but it's down to only a handful now.

20. Spotscat

Spotscat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I had to go to court in Santa Clarita several years ago, and the judge was a straight down the line, no nonsense type of person.

Before the proceedings started he informed the entire courtroom full of defendants that there was no such thing as "Guilty with an excuse", that if they had an excuse to plead not guilty, post bail, and request a new court date. Otherwise plead guilty, and let's keep the docket moving.

Then he said the truest words I've ever heard spoken --

He looked out at the courtroom and told all of us that, "We're not going to take all of your money, but we're going to take a lot of it!"

And I'll be damned if they didn't! :D

Surgeio and MHR like this.