Just got off the phone with support and get a load of this.

bpm45

Typical consecutive ride glitch. Counter reset though no rides declined or ignored and online whole time. The rep agreed and I should be paid, but here's the fun part. They recommend the following procedure to "fix" problems:

1. Logout and uninstall the app.
2. Turn off the phone for 15 minutes
3. Reset the network settings on the phone.
4. Reinstall the app.

This is basically an admission they realize their software is a piece of crap and they don't know how to fix it. Probably because they can't hire and retain quality SW folk. They are admitting it leaves a mess on your phone as they don't have good software practices to design a well functioning app that cleans up after itself. It appears the mess includes messing around with the TCPIP settings in certain cases. This last bit explains the network connection problems requiring toggling airplane mode.

A well designed app wouldn't require any of this.

Likely the rest of the operation is held together with twine and paste.

I can't wait until this gem goes public.

cumonohito

LOL, this is the same response we get from our IT guys whenever we have tech issues, log off, log in, refresh, etc.

UberBeemer

I think the only way a developer could design something flawless would be if every device were identical, including operating system patches and applications installed.

EddieG

I wonder how many trial runs they put the software through before they release it. I was at the Green Hub a couple years ago and I asked the lady taking care of my paperwork if she drove as well. She responded "No, it's a conflict of interest". My response, "Actually, it would be in your best interest to see what we actually go through". They should make the coders drive and test the software themselves in real world scenarios.

thepeach

The other day I picked up two pax east of Michigan Avenue. The navigation directed me to drive a short distance on Lower Wacker Drive. Next the navigation suggested that I merge onto Lake Shore Drive. Soon after that I was directed to merge across three extremely busy traffic lanes to then get into the exit lane at Chicago Avenue. This route lacked human common sense. The artificial intelligence that generated this route was suggesting this route to save time and distance. But this route lacked safety. I even thought about writing a letter to tech support. But a generic response would not make this a sensible route.

karachi

The other day I picked up two pax east of Michigan Avenue. The navigation directed me to drive a short distance on Lower Wacker Drive. Next the navigation suggested that I merge onto Lake Shore Drive. Soon after that I was directed to merge across three extremely busy traffic lanes to then get into the exit lane at Chicago Avenue. This route lacked human common sense. The artificial intelligence that generated this route was suggesting this route to save time and distance. But this route lacked safety. I even thought about writing a letter to tech support. But a generic response would not make this a sensible route.
Rookie mistake. Nobody who rideshares often uses the crap mapping software integrated in Uber/Lyft's app. It's worse than asking a street bum for directions. Waze. Nuff said.

(Although to be honest, there is a similar quirk in Waze where it tries to kill you. It's when it is overly aggressive in trying to save seconds and has you merge on the Dan Ryan from the left using the Jackson ramp, and then directs you to exit on Lake St on the right in a 1/4 mile. You got to have a death wish if you're trying to cross 5 lanes of traffic to make that exit!! :eek:)

Last edited:

SatMan

Once you learn how to anticipate your turns, you'll do better...Wait until you get the N/B Kennedy from Jackson and exit at Lake St.

You need to take Michigan to Chicago ave. I had it happen 1 time only, I went to north ave instead of it. The pax actually thanked me for being safe.

Always look at the route before you put your car in drive. Pax appricaiate waiting a couple seconds so the driver can see where there going. As long as they don’t have to point out every turn to you. They don’t mind helping. Heck one day they might teach you something very useful, like getting to upper Columbus from lower s water to all the hotels there. That’s also an interesting one ?

SatMan

You need to take Michigan to Chicago ave. I had it happen 1 time only, I went to north ave instead of it. The pax actually thanked me for being safe.

Always look at the route before you put your car in drive. Pax appricaiate waiting a couple seconds so the driver can see where there going. As long as they don’t have to point out every turn to you. They don’t mind helping. Heck one day they might teach you something very useful, like getting to upper Columbus from lower s water to all the hotels there. That’s also an interesting one ?
Like riding a roller coaster.

thepeach

Rookie mistake. Nobody who rideshares often uses the crap mapping software integrated in Uber/Lyft's app. It's worse than asking a street bum for directions. Waze. Nuff said.

(Although to be honest, there is a similar quirk in Waze where it tries to kill you. It's when it is overly aggressive in trying to save seconds and has you merge on the Dan Ryan from the left using the Jackson ramp, and then directs you to exit on Lake St on the right in a 1/4 mile. You got to have a death wish if you're trying to cross 5 lanes of traffic to make that exit!! :eek:)
Oh..so Waze has problems too.. and further more if you guys are not rookies why are some if you being deactivated for false remports from the ladies...and why should I want to stand up for you guys being falsely deactivated if you are calling me a rookie.. maybe just maybe there are people skills that are important also, also my point is that the Uber navigation should not be trimming off blocks of driving and doing this in the navigation, this is about a bigger picture, anyway the pick up was east of Michigan but just south of Randolph, if Michigan Avenue was better.. then that route should have been the route given by Uber navigation. So what if navigation is not my strongest ability. Some drivers know navigation but they drive bossy and rude and sgressuvely towards other Uber drivers. Big deal if you are better at navigation. Should we stand up for you when you are deactivated for a false report of intoxication. Should we standup for you if there is a false report of flirting made against you. if you drive reckless thinking you know it all should we help you when you are bleeding in your car from a car accident. Call me rookie again and if you have a flat tire on 47 the street at ten o'clock at night I might not bother to call 911 when four dudes wearing gang colors sgressuvely approach you. I stand by my belief that the dangerous short routes need to stop because they are trimming routes to save time and energy in tight and busy locations. They have the technology to avoid these nasty routes.

Last edited:

veblenrules

There used to be signs prohibiting that maneuver for the exact reason you stated. I guess now they're trying to thin the herd.
Post automatically merged:

Oh..so Waze has problems too.. and further more if you guys are not rookies why are some if you being deactivated for false remports from the ladies...and why should I want to stand up for you guys being falsely deactivated if you are calling me a rookie.. maybe just maybe there are people skills that are important also, also my point is that the Uber navigation should not be trimming off blocks of driving and doing this in the navigation, this is about a bigger picture, anyway the pick up was east of Michigan but just south of Randolph, if Michigan Avenue was better.. then that route should have been the route given by Uber navigation. So what if navigation is not my strongest ability. Some drivers know navigation but they drive bossy and rude and sgressuvely towards other Uber drivers. Big deal if you are better at navigation. Should we stand up for you when you are deactivated for a false report of intoxication. Should we standup for you if there is a false report of flirting made against you. if you drive reckless thinking you know it all should we help you when you are bleeding in your car from a car accident. Call me rookie again and if you have a flat tire on 47 the street at ten o'clock at night I might not bother to call 911 when four dudes wearing gang colors sgressuvely approach you. I stand by my belief that the dangerous short routes need to stop because they are trimming routes to save time and energy in tight and busy locations. They have the technology to avoid these nasty routes.
Boo hoo! You gotta be tough to drive a cab in this town, Snowflake.....

karachi

Your post is pure comedic gold!!:laugh: (I wish I could double-like your post!!)

DrinkSoda

Once you learn how to anticipate your turns, you'll do better...Wait until you get the N/B Kennedy from Jackson and exit at Lake St.
Same with Lake St going south to any of those right side exits.

Common sense. Something that some people don’t have.

App says drive to the bottom of Lake Michigan. Some people might actually do it.

quesie

The fact is that all GPS systems use the same basic technology. They have no ability to reason the difference of a through street or a side street. So they can tell you there's traffic, but they don't have the ability to logic the repercussions of trying to cross 4 busy lanes during rush hour. I've said it before and I stand by it, GPS is a wonderful tool if you already know where you're going.

I don't want to contradict you, but no, the technology to avoid these kinds of boondoggles does not exist. Technology has limits, it all works on an if/then scenario, it does NOT have the ability to make abstract decisions based on experience. Only people can do that. I've seen you on the forum for a while, so I know you're not a newbie, I'll give you the same advice I'd give them. Every driver should know at least 3 additional ways to get where they're going without using GPS. I feel very lucky that i grew up in the age of maps, we HAD to know where we were going or have the ability to figure it out. I remember carrying the 7 county atlas. Fun times.

That's the quirk I mentioned. Death awaits if you try to follow it!!
That's the only time i actually like doing those is in bumper to bumper stopped traffic. It's actually easier to get people to let you change lanes when everyone is stuck than if traffic is moving.

Last edited:

northsider87

I flirt with my female passengers and they flirt back. It’s usually them initiating it. I never got reported. I’m not a creep.

But there are people who will make false reports. Those are the ones you gotta watch out for. That’s why if I have ANY kind of issue on a ride, I say something to uber. If I know the ride is gonna suck before I start the ride, I just cancel immediately. I’m so paranoid of them scratching something inside the car without me knowing, in a spot I won’t see.