• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

FreddieMars

Hi all.
Last night (Sat 26.05.18) I was punched in the chin by one of my rider's friends who sat on the front seat for trying to close the window. When I asked them to leave the car he threatened to kick the sh.. out of me so I drove them to the city.
I picked up three guys whom later I found out were islanders from NZ from an address in Regent Parks around 9:30pm following another car with other 4 guys in it towards CBD.
I made a report to Uber immediately after they got out of my car and drove away only to stop a block later and called 000 which adviced me to lodge a report at the police station in Charlotte st.
Has anyone had any similar experience? What would you do in such situation?
What do you reckon I should do?
Thanks in advance for your advice

PS. I normally pay attention to riders ratings and in this case his rate was 4.88

Pen

No good that you were assaulted but your story is all over the place and hard to follow.

Hugh G

one of my rider's friends who sat on the front seat for trying to close the window
Unable to make sense of this, hopefully the police report you filed was a bit more explicit and detailed.

I made a report to Uber immediately after they got out of my car and drove away only to stop a block later and called 000 which adviced me to lodge a report at the police station in Charlotte st.

What did the Police in Charlotte st do, did you get a ref# or a copy of the police report?

Ensure you get medical treatment to ascertain the extent of the injuries. Take pictures, Xrays etc ( if needed) for evidence.

The more documentation you can forward to Uber the better, although the best Uber would do is tell you "we will note this on the riders file etc etc", the problem here is it was not the account holder who was the assailant .

If you are able to get the identity of the guy you might have a chance of a civil lawsuit against him.

Last edited:

Vic723

Hi all.
Last night (Sat 26.05.18) I was punched in the chin by one of my rider's friends who sat on the front seat for trying to close the window. When I asked them to leave the car he threatened to kick the sh.. out of me so I drove them to the city.
I picked up three guys whom later I found out were islanders from NZ from an address in Regent Parks around 9:30pm following another car with other 4 guys in it towards CBD.

PS. I normally pay attention to riders ratings and in this case his rate was 4.88
Oh my god, sorry to hear that

AvengingxxAngel

Hi all.

These things happen to Uber drivers, report it to the police and go into a greenlight hub with a copy of the report so they can take further action.
It's enough to put someone off Uber driving for good, hope you're ok.

tigermanmantiger5

Around Dec 2017 this was a similar discussion of what happened to the driver at the toilet block I think at the Story Bridge. Drivers commenting, giving advice of what should of done. I stated back then it is not a matter of if but when. There is no way to stop bad behaviour. All you can do is play the odds and use your street skills and smarts. So 4 or 5 clowns in a car. An assault occurs. Good chance there is no digital record of the assailant.
If security cameras were installed this could change the environment. Same as if the clown who stole a cab from Sunshine Coast and drove to Toowoomba didnt have on board gps. The thief would be so much harder to find and arrest if he could be found at all. And as for the vehicle you may never see it again.

Nod73

I think it would change if the taxi's switched to ordering a taxi solely through an app. I'm surprised they haven't switched to that system rather than hailing a taxi.
They are a bit "slow" on the uptake, hence the reason why rideshare exists :wink:

loinchop

out of curiosity what are the cabs slow at? Hence the reason the question is asked.
They were pretty slow at reacting to Uber entering the market. Customers were blown away that they could order through an app and the car would have mints and water. It would have been pretty easy for cabs to copy those things and take out Uber before it gained popularity. Even the cheaper prices could have been competed against if they wanted to.

tigermanmantiger5

They were pretty slow at reacting to Uber entering the market. Customers were blown away that they could order through an app and the car would have mints and water. It would have been pretty easy for cabs to copy those things and take out Uber before it gained popularity. Even the cheaper prices could have been competed against if they wanted to.
mints and water, really. I mean really is this the way of the future. No come on really

Nod73

mints and water, really. I mean really is this the way of the future. No come on really
You'd be surprised how many people appreciate it.

And for what, $1 for 50 bag of individual wrapped mentos, $3 for a 12 pack of water.

It's that attitude why the Taxi industry has fallen apart. No evolution, no forward thinking. Taxi industry thinks Uber exists because they are cheaper, it is a whole lot more than that. Even when Uber is surging and more expensive than a Taxi people will still pick Uber over Taxi's.

tigermanmantiger5

So cheaper prices could have been competed against if they wanted to. Govt regulate the prices per klm. So how to achieve your statement

You'd be surprised how many people appreciate it.

And for what, $1 for 50 bag of individual wrapped mentos, $3 for a 12 pack of water.

It's that attitude why the Taxi industry has fallen apart. No evolution, no forward thinking. Taxi industry thinks Uber exists because they are cheaper, it is a whole lot more than that. Even when Uber is surging and more expensive than a Taxi people will still pick Uber over Taxi's.
you are ill informed and self gratifying. People know what a dollar is worth.
You been back in forum jail?. Havent heard your ill informed comments for a short while now. Good to have you back.

Nod73

you are ill informed and self gratifying. People know what a dollar is worth.
You been back in forum jail?. Havent heard your ill informed comments for a short while now. Good to have you back.
How am I ill informed and self gratifying?

No forum jail here. Although admin did tell me that you had tried to report me a few times, well done.

Reporting "Mexican" as a racist comment? Really? Are you normal?

Nod73

How am I ill informed and self gratifying?

No forum jail here. Although admin did tell me that you had tried to report me a few times, well done.

Reporting "Mexican" as a racist comment? Really? Are you normal?
Still waiting

No mix up here cat :smiles:

Keyringbling

Can just imagine it now... taxi council board room... “an app to book our service. I mean really is this the way of the future. No come on really”

I used to get cabs religiously when it was a good ol Aussie driver who loved a chat and had local knowledge of the area...

When they started to be replaced by drivers who wanted you to guide them the whole trip while talking some jibberish on their blue tooth head set and the cab wreaking of garlic nan, that’s when I started using public transport and boycotting cabs. I would imagine there would be a lot of other people out there that may share the same thoughts.

Taxis can be popular again, just bring back the local good ol Aussie drivers who made the trip a pleasure with some level of customer service.

Last edited: