Just bought my first car and need help with some questions.

Kai-21

Hello! I just bought my first car, Civic 07, I plan on using it for ride sharing but I need some help with some first time owner / Uber driver questions.

I bought the car from a used car dealer, (a first for me as well), and is currently being financed by the dealer itself. The dealer told me that they will call me once the licence plate arrives, (currently I have a paper plate and a temporary vehicle registration). My questions are:

1) Does Uber accepts Dealer paper plates and Temporary Vehicle Registration?

2) Do I have to go to my states vehicle commission for an official Vehicle Registration or do used car dealers typically mail it or call you for pick up within a few days?

3) I know Uber asks for a vehicle inspection document, do I have to go and have the vehicle inspected independently or is this a document that a dealer typically gives you in a few days along with your new plate and registration?

Thanks!

LakerLeBron

Congrats on your Civic 2007
I drive the Camry 2007,
If it can help you, this is my driving goals

5 hours in the morning
5 hours in the afternoon
5 hours in the evening

New2This

Hello! I just bought my first car, Civic 07, I plan on using it for ride sharing but I need some help with some first time owner / Uber driver questions.

I bought the car from a used car dealer, (a first for me as well), and is currently being financed by the dealer itself. The dealer told me that they will call me once the licence plate arrives, (currently I have a paper plate and a temporary vehicle registration). My questions are:

2) Do I have to go to my states vehicle commission for an official Vehicle Registration or do used car dealers typically mail it or call you for pick up within a few days?

3) I know Uber asks for a vehicle inspection document, do I have to go and have the vehicle inspected independently or is this a document that a dealer typically gives you in a few days along with your new plate and registration?

Thanks!
Hate to be a wet blanket here but two things:

1. Check the fine print of your financing agreement. It may specifically preclude using the car in commercial use.

2. You're financing an 11-year old car?

Kai-21

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
28% interest rate?
After everything is still 5k so maybe not.

Hate to be a wet blanket here but two things:

1. Check the fine print of your financing agreement. It may specifically preclude using the car in commercial use.

2. You're financing an 11-year old car?
They don't need to know...
Get a real job or start a bussiness. Don't waste your time with Uber.
I already have a job and Uber can also be good side money, it just needs a little "game planning".

tohunt4me

Thanks!
Make your dealer get an inspection.

Kai-21

07 civic is probably at least 5k.
Not exactly pocket change.

Even with bad interest it's still better then a new car for Uber.
Not to mention what I save on gas compared to the other options in my town!

I know 5k seems a little high and I agree, but the options around here weren't very convincing. Most where either big trucks or cars that were falling apart. At least the civic, in my opinion, is cheap on gas and cheap to fix. The car is also on good conditions unlike the other options.

Kai-21

Thanks for all your replies! Feel free to share your opinions even if you don't agree, I welcome all!

I'ts my first car and first dealer experience, I live by myself and I know there's much for me to learn. Pretty sure I could of gotten a better deal with more "hustling" experience but well, you gotta start somewhere :smiles:

Thanks for the reality check! I'm aware of the "volatility" of these type of app based "employments". I do have a job and I make enough for both my car and my rent, just thought of trying ride sharing out since I have a 4 door car and spare time.

Cableguynoe

Not to mention what I save on gas compared to the other options in my town!

I know 5k seems a little high and I agree, but the options around here weren't very convincing. Most where either big trucks or cars that were falling apart. At least the civic, in my opinion, is cheap on gas and cheap to fix. The car is also on good conditions unlike the other options.
5k is fine

If you decide uber isn't for you, you still have a good little car.

If It ends up not being a great car and takes a dump early, you're only down 5k.

Won't ruin you. You can bounce back quickly

Kai-21

5k is fine

If you decide uber isn't for you, you still have a good little car.

If It ends up not being a great car and takes a dump early, you're only down 5k.

Won't ruin you. You can bounce back quickly
I appreciate your thoughts, after reaching college I was kinda thrown into the world without much experience. Living by myself without anyone to guide me has been a little scary, but careful planning and plenty of research prior to making a big decision has proven helpful. That's how I ended up choosing this car! I researched fuel economy, maintenance and resale value. The civic scored great on all 3 compared to the other options!

LakerLeBron

I appreciate your thoughts, after reaching college I was kinda thrown into the world without much experience. Living by myself without anyone to guide me has been a little scary, but careful planning and plenty of research prior to making a big decision has proven helpful. That's how I ended up choosing this car! I researched fuel economy, maintenance and resale value. The civic scored great on all 3 compared to the other options!
Why don’t you choose the Corolla? It drives a long time.

Kai-21

I assume you're taking this attitude regarding insurance too.

They will find out when you have an accident. Then you're on the hook for everything. Luckily it's $5K not $35K but stoll a lot.
I understand and thank you for your followup comment. To give you a little peace of mind (and myself), I am currently investigating price competitive Rideshare friendly insurances to switch to as soon as I figure out my options. As for the dealer I didn't know about the fine print, I'll definitively give that a check to make sure. In any case the car should be paid off in a few months (big down payment and comfortable pay checks from my job).

Thank you for letting me know, I really mean it. It is my first car and I plan to keep it. I definitively want to be on the good side of the law and keep my insurance's trust.

Why don’t you choose the Corolla? It drives a long time.
There are none! I searched cars in my area for weeks to make sure I got the best car and deal my research could provide me. I found this hard to believe myself. The only corollas were brand new ones but I wasn't sure if I wanted a new car as my first since I think that a used car would make a good "beater" for a first car. I could be wrong though. Only time will tell. I do consider civics like the corollas cousin when it comes to fuel economy and reliability. So I feel a little more confident that if I bought that big wheel v6 truck that was a little too huge for my taste or parking space.