1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Just applied for a real job and got turned down...

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by NJDriver, Sep 12, 2015.

1. NJDriver

NJDriver

I do look on Indeed.com for real jobs as my contracting business is very soft. I throw applications at jobs that I think might be a fit and I get turned down almost every time. Actually, Ive been applying for real jobs at corporations since 2008 and been turned down. Before 2008, I could always find jobs, but now my success is as an independent contractor as the job market has been crap. Well, I wouldnt call it success in the same way the billionaires define success, but just working and bringing in income is success for me.

I still throw applications at real jobs I see on Indeed.com. Who knows if those jobs are actually available. They probably go to someone they already know and advertise them publicly just to say they did. The value of Uber is that anyone can jump on board and make a go of it.

Its funny how everyone quizzes me asking if I use my car for business use as if they already know. I got on the phone with my insurance company and they asked if I used my car for business use...haha never got that question asked...I lied and told them no. I traded in my car and was asked "Did you use this as a taxi?" and I told them no. The Port Authority cops come up to me and dont even ask. They just start writing tickets.

Its kind of funny how a lot of people dont want you to work even though you are perfectly able and willing. I enjoy Uber because they provide that opportunity. I was sitting in the Defensive Driving course at Uber office in Queens. People from the Middle East, Black guys from Brooklyn, etc. All these guys are willing to work but society doesnt want them working. Uber gives them a shot.

So, whatever you think of Uber, it keeps people working. People who would otherwise have no shot. The next question is how to keep it profitable which is what we will discuss here on this message forum...

2. Realityshark

Realityshark

If you live in a market where Uber has slashed rates to below $1 per mile, you'll find it is very difficult to show much of a profit.

Uber thrives on people who can't find work elsewhere. They get inside your head and make you believe that this is better then nothing. In reality, you will need to log in so many hours per week, just to keep from drowning in day to day debt, that you will be taking away from the time that you could be focused on finding a real job.

Your desire to keep this thread focused on ways to make a profit is admirable. I fear that trying out various scenarios and tactics will only suck up your time that you could be using to build a real future.

What about finding a 3rd shift warehouse job to help pay the bills? This would allow you to have the days free to keep searching for something you are qualified to do and would enjoy.

One thing really stood out in your post. Your insurance company asked you if you are using your car for business. You answered "no" and are driving for Uber. Lying to your insurance company when they asked you, is called insurance fraud. Not telling your insurance company allows them to deny claims. I really don't care, but I would suggest you play out the following scenario to gauge how much risk you are willing to take. The following has happened to many other drivers. Here's something to think about:

You get in an accident while driving an Uber passenger. The passenger gets injured. Your insurance will deny the claim because you lied to them about driving for Uber. Uber won't pay because you did not have proper insurance. When you logged on to Uber you agreed to obey all local laws. Proper insurance is one of those laws and Uber uses this to walk away from serious accidents. It happens all the time. The injured Uber passenger's lawyers will destroy you. You will have your future paychecks garnished to pay the lawyer bills, medical bills and all kinds of **** you never imagined. This has happened to many other drivers who played this game without proper insurance.

You could potentially be working for the injured passenger for decades.

Your post thanks Uber for helping people like you who can't find work elsewhere. Actually, they are exploiting people like you, while making you take all the risks for them.

Good Luck.

3. NJDriver

NJDriver

Your logic is perfect and reasoned for a college educated Caucasian man. What about insurance fraud? What about getting sued?

Look my man. In this room of Black and Middle Eastern men and one woman from the Dominican, not one of them is worried about that. In NJ, you have more white men who are down on their luck who also have similiar problems as the Black and Brown over in the NY boros. They are not worried about getting sued or charged with insurance fraud. Their main worry is staying employed.

As for that warehouse job, its not available, not hiring and when they do hire they find someone they know. All of the warehouses in NJ and NY have closed, moved out and the ones that are left are not hiring. No job is easy to get here.

I can tell you are not from around here. Maybe you own a limo company and I do feel for you, but you have to feel me too. I am one who needs the cash and thats my position.

As for insurance fraud, its rampant around Jersey and NY. No one is going to get prosecuted for lieing to the insurance company about business use. Show me one news article where the cops collared someone for it. They do arrest for fraud but its always for huge operations involving body shops not some dude lieing on his application.

As for Uber turning down injured passengers claims that doesnt happen. Show me one news article where it happened. Uber has a large insurance and claims department. They dont deny claims like you say. If they did deny a claim it would be in the news.

As for Uber using us, haha, we already know they do. Our presence on this message board is to figure out ways to use them...

mizzrock and Luberon like this.
  4. Realityshark

Realityshark

I don't own a limo company and I don't live anywhere near your market. I'm one of those college educated, white guys you referenced.

You are very wrong about Uber's insurance game. Saying it doesn't happen just proves to me that you haven't done your homework, which is cool since your post also shows that this is not a concern for you. I get that. Everyone is different. Acting like I'm lying when in fact, the truth is at your fingertips is pretty naïve and insulting. I care about liability, risks and profit and fully understand the "partnership agreement" that I was forced to sign when I logged in.

As far as ways to scam Uber, I know many ways which is why I still keep their app on my phone. But since you consider my posts lies, I won't bother sharing them since you would think those are lies as well.

mizzrock likes this.
  5. NJDriver

NJDriver

If you go on the Glassdoor and look at these new companies like Zulily or other tech startups you find reviews from low level employees which tell of a horrific working environment. Sexual harassment, discrimination, slave wages and worked to the bone, etc. I have to laugh. That is the modern day slave plantation with the rich wealthy tech billionaires and their slaves the employees.

Now with Uber I have received a lot of support. When I got those tickets at the airport all I received was support and the guarantee they would pay them. Uber also walked me through the NYC TLC process making it a bit more friendly. Uber is somewhat supportive to a point but yes you still have to guess your way around for the first few months.

I am not trying to "Scam Uber", but I will be taking advantage of the situation where I can. Im sure Travis is living a very well to do lifestyle unlike myself. He is taking advantage of the situation too. Champagne, prostitutes and yachts...thats Travis lifestyle now.

I dont paint Uber as an extravagant job. In fact, I posted here about sleeping in the car at the shore on the Parkway as shelter for the night. I talk about going online at 4am and picking up people on heroin on the weekends. Making good fares by picking up drunks and its always a long fare with them. I can hear their bottles clanking in the back. Pulled over 6 to 7 times, issued 5 tickets and rousted by the crooked cops on the take with the limo/taxi companies. Look, thats not what I want to do with my life, but for some of us here its not a choice. This is what is here for us so we take it. Its not the best, but its here.

You do need a very thick skin for it. No doubt! This is the life of the working man in NJ and NY.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  6. Uber is the primary insurer in NJ when a passenger is in the car. That's a relatively recent change and is not true in all states. I also haven't seen any published stories about Uber drivers getting snafu'd by a passenger injury due to lack of proper insurance -- if you have any links you could share I would be really interested to read them.

Alex12 likes this.
  7. If you're still getting the same results after applying for a job maybe it's time to take yourself to an employment agency or job coach who can help you with the process. Is it something on your resume that turns off employers? You'll answer no but you really need an objective eye to look at your resume and tell you how things could be better

I just got a new job off Indeed. I've gotten several responses for follow-ups but it took a lot of trying. I understand your frustration but don't give up. As they continue to advertise , this Uber thing may not be making much money in the Newark future.

mizzrock, The_One and UberRidiculous like this.
  8. NJDriver

NJDriver

I think the limo and taxi companies are on their last legs. Flyte Tyme based in Mahwah has six offices in different states and at its height did 6000 trips a day. Now it just posts anti-Uber messages on their Facebook page. The Yellow cab line at Newark airport does not have one new vehicle. Mainly old Crown Victorias at least 10 years old. They never move. Taxi medallion prices keep dropping and one taxi owner in a video says he cant sell his because the market is not liquid. No one wants to buy it. All these guys pay big bucks for insurance. 10k for each car per year in NJ. So the future for Uber will be brighter as the taxi and limo companies fold.

Im not sure how the silver Crown Vics or Class A limo or the yellow cabs in Hoboken continue to operate. The yellow cabs by the Path in Hoboken seem just to sit there now never moving. On occassion I do see them move and in the streets, but its rare. Once they are gone no one in Hoboken will have a choice.

I know NJ and NY people. The cabs and limos will continue to operate until they literally fall apart. Everyone is stubborn and wont admit the future. The future is Uber. There is nothing else.

Even if I got that job, I would still continue to Uber. The job would make money, but not Travis champagne and prostitute money. More like just enough to eat a ham sandwich money. So Im in this for the haul.

mizzrock, Paul Smith and USMCX like this.
  9. atthehop

atthehop

What type of jobs are you applying for?

10. NJDriver

NJDriver

I dont want to get into specifics. Lets just say the area unemployment rate is higher than the national average. Companies have moved out of Jersey like Mercedes Benz recently.

If I knew a young guy just starting out I would give them the list of areas of lowest unemployment and tell them to start there, but not in Jersey or NY. Ive even considered moving to Austin and other places because of the lack of good jobs in Jersey. I dont see a great future.

I have had success on the independent contractor front. A year ago it started to get soft so I decided to get into Uber. Now its really soft and thats why Im applying for NYC TLC and got the minivan. I figure we might be falling into a recession and Ubering might be the only work in town. Every 7 years give or take there is a recession.

Looking at the Uber passenger app there are guys who look like they are already there ahead of me Ubering late at night or Ubering 12 to 16 hours per day. So there are plenty of guys who might not have any job pushing the old car picking up whoever.

mizzrock and Paul Smith like this.
  11. The_One

The_One

He is not applying for any jobs, he is an Uber driver. He does not want to work for someone that will tell him what time to be in and what time to leave, Uber is the lazy man's job with no future.

mizzrock likes this.
  12. NJDriver

NJDriver

I am applying for jobs and I am a contractor with my own business. Everyone I know in Jersey works multiple jobs or has multiple streams. Thats how average Jersey Joe affords the house. Even if I got the job I would still Uber.

gmc likes this.
  13. The_One

The_One

You mean do illegal Taxi, that is what you are doing.

14. NJDriver

NJDriver

Its amazing how a guy can get a ticket for giving someone a ride, but nothing happens to the guys who destroyed the United States economy. The reason why that guy is getting a ticket and why those guys are not getting arrested for destroying the economy is one simple reason...MONEY IN POLITICS or another word my Jersey brothers can better understand which is BRIBES. The taxi companies are ready to dish out the money in white envelope form to the Mayor of Newark, to the Mayor of New York City and everyone else who has that hand out.

So come get me, arrest me, for operating my illegal cab around Jersey....but if you arrest me arrest the Mayor of Newark while you are at it. If you want to come down on me, come down on me but dont leave anyone else out!

gmc likes this.
  15. The_One

The_One

He is doing illegal Taxi, it's not something I just made up, lying to his insurance company, and doing Taxi without commercial insurance is illegal, that's the reason uber drivers are getting jacked by the authorities in NJ "because they are illegal", if he was doing it legally be would not have to hide to his insurance company what he uses his car for, so how am I am *******.

16. The_One

The_One

The fact is you are operating an illegal Taxi, no way to sugar coat it.

17. atthehop

atthehop

UBER is the drug LORD and all the illegal UBER Taxi drivers are their dealers since UBER gets a cut for every sale they make when they pick up a pax and money changes hands.

gmc and The_One like this.
  18. Luberon

Luberon

Insurance risk is directly proportional to the total value of assets one owns. A 'white' suburban middle class homeowner with a college and retirement fund is risking way, WAY more than a freshly minted immigrant with a spanking new social security card. For the immigrant the only immediate impact could be very high auto premium following an accident.

19. NJDriver

NJDriver

BTW, I am applying for the NYC TLC license so I wont be an "illegal taxi" in the eyes of New York City in the future. As for the laws of New Jersey, clearly they are outdated drawn up decades ago and the law isnt very clear on the issues. I do know that bribing public officials is against the law and that taxi/limo associations have contributed generously in that regard to those politicians who seem against Uber.

As Luberon stated, risk is directly proportional. Someone with no assets isnt really risking anything. That guy from Egypt has not much to lose. That said, there are quite a few of those no asset guys around Jersey. In any event, what are we risking exactly? Each Uber ride does have a 1.5 million dollar policy and I have posted Uber's insurance card on this website which you can download. Those people who say that Ubers cars are uninsured either dont know or are spreading false rumors. Uber rides have better insurance than some taxi-cabs. In fact, Ubers insurance department is MUCH BETTER than any of the rinky dink TLC insurance companies in NYC.

As for Uber denying or rejecting claims, if it did it would be all over the news. There were a few questionable claims in the past and ultimately they ended up honoring them. Specifically, Uber had stated in its policy that if you dont have collision insurance on your personal policy than you are not getting it on Ubers policy. There was a guy in Texas who totalled out his vehicle on an Uber ride. Since he had no collision coverage on his personal policy Uber didnt grant him collision. It was a POS junk car that he was using in any event. Because of bad press Uber decided to pony up and grant him collision coverage. Keep in mind, his car looked like it was worth about 4-5 grand at most and it was OBVIOUS why he didnt have the collision coverage. So thats why I say if a claim is denied its all over the news.

20. atthehop

atthehop

You can surely believe if I was injured in an accident riding in a UBER vehicle my lawyers will be going after any and all assets they can get at. Remember they get 30% of all they can suck out of even if it means you go homeless. But if you don't care why should I?