• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Just An Idea

DavieJUber

Hello Everyone.

Here's an idea; certainly not a new one, but one nonetheless.

I placed a 17 inch monitor between the two front seats of my Buick. On that monitor I have paid advertisements from local businesses with a QR barcode code so that passengers can scan them with their phones and go on the business websites.
I also use this same screen to play rated PG motion pictures. I realize that most of my passengers have smartphones, but for those who don't or those who simply want something to watch while they travel, it's a cool distraction.
Everything is powered by my laptop so I have complete control over what appears on the screen itself. I already had the laptop and the screen as well as the cables, so I didn't actually have to buy anything.
One word of caution. Under no circumstances should you give a passenger mouse control over what they see on the screen. While I've never done this, because I'm smart enough not to, I figured I'd mention it because it can give the passenger access to everything on your laptop.

MoneyUber4

Picture this:
You are in an accident, your screen fly and hit the pax/paxs face(s) and does a hugh cuts or the glass hit his/her/their eyes.

Would your personal insurance covers the injuries/surgeries or others? How much $ would they cover?

DavieJUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Posting something offensive can't happen if they don't have access to the laptop.
As for injury. I have people wear seat belts. In the end, there is no sure way of keeping ANYONE completely safe in an accident. They can say anything hurt them and YOU have to defend against it. I do the best I can.
One thing I never do is offer candy or other food items. You have allergies and choking hazards to deal with.
Surely Uber driving is in its infancy for the most part. What might seem like a good idea or work for some....

Slon

If I was a passenger in your car I'd 1 star you.

I don't want to stare at your stupid paid advertisements.

DavieJUber

I find it interesting how in ALL of the years online and using numerous user forums on a variety of topics, there is a reoccurring theme in responses to ANY AND ALL posts, (mine or from other people).
Rather than being helpful and encouraging the poster, respondents criticise, ridicule, and hamper posts.
Since I put up the screen, my star rating has gone UP! Passengers LIKE watching movies and learning what local bars, restaurants, and sites are in the area.
Let's try and keep negative responses to one's self. They serve NO good purpose, save demonstrating one's ignorance and possible jealousy over not coming up with the idea themselves.
I don't mind caution posting, but negatively I have no time for.

Slon

I find it interesting how in ALL of the years online and using numerous user forums on a variety of topics, there is a reoccurring theme in responses to ANY AND ALL posts, (mine or from other people).
Rather than being helpful and encouraging the poster, respondents criticise, ridicule, and hamper posts.
Since I put up the screen, my star rating has gone UP! Passengers LIKE watching movies and learning what local bars, restaurants, and sites are in the area.
Let's try and keep negative responses to one's self. They serve NO good purpose, save demonstrating one's ignorance and possible jealousy over not coming up with the idea themselves.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were a special fragile snowflake who can only take positive encouraging feedback.

Well hooray for you good sir! Your genius idea of sticking an ad screen inside your car has never been tried before. Maybe you can think of other genius ideas such as maybe ads somewhere else? Like maybe the sides and roof of your car? Maybe you could even have sound? Imagine that - screens with ads and sounds - just like they have at those annoying gas stations - except now it's in your car! I don't know how any of it all could be setup, I'm not smart like you and clearly this is a new idea in uncharted territory that has clearly never been tried before by every single cab out there.

I sincerely apologize for suggesting that I would rate the ride in your advertisement wagon as 1 star. You're right. It was just jealousy.

DavieJUber

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were a special fragile snowflake who can only take positive encouraging feedback.

Well hooray for you good sir! Your genius idea of sticking an ad screen inside your car has never been tried before. Maybe you can think of other genius ideas such as maybe ads somewhere else? Like maybe the sides and roof of your car? Maybe you could even have sound? Imagine that - screens with ads and sounds - just like they have at those annoying gas stations - except now it's in your car! I don't know how any of it all could be setup, I'm not smart like you and clearly this is a new idea in uncharted territory that has clearly never been tried before by every single cab out there.

I sincerely apologize for suggesting that I would rate the ride in your advertisement wagon as 1 star. You're right. It was just jealousy.
Wow!

sellkatsell44

is there somewhere in uber contract or manual that says you can't use your car as an advertisement?

because allowing a company to put sticker around your car, advertising for them (if you can convince them to pay you to do this) has merit.

better than QR scan because no offense, no one wants to download the QR reader app--that is pretty much dead.

some places (like AMC or Delta airlines) will use QR for in place of a ticket barcode *but* I don't have to download the app to use it kwim?

So i don't really see folks riding in the back of your uber caring enough to download an app to scan a QR code, and that is if they even pay attention to the screen. Usually they're on their phone no?

DavieJUber

What you say about the ads is absolutely true. Only folks with QR already installed might do it. It was just an idea. But they do seem to like the movies (PG-13). The only comments I ever get about the TV in the car are positive.

POMilton

It's the internet where people show who they really are. Everybody is a critic behind an anonymous name and a keyboard.

Backdash

Do whatever you want.
If someone here says it's great, what difference does it make?
If someone here says it's dumb, what difference does it make?
If you post your "idea" on an internet forum you are dealing with 6 idiots out of every 10 members.

Do your thing, if you try something and it works for you that's great. If it doesn't, stop doing it.

Why post about it?