1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Jump Start Cars?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Karen Stein, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Well-Known Member

Back when I drove cab, every so often someone would call, just to ask if we could jump-start their cars. Naturally, there were all manner of reasons the cab company had a "NO WAY" policy. Risk of damage to radios, etc.

Now we're about to have the first really cold weather strike of this season. I'm thinking of carrying a separate battery and cables in the car. I figure the $5 cancellation fee plus $20 cash might be a good offer.

Anyone here provide a starting service? What do you think of the idea?

2. istravisthewizardofoz

istravisthewizardofoz Member

Better than driving.

3. A_Driver

A_Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Get a compact jump start box from amazon. No risk to your car that way. They run about $40-$50 for one large enough to start anything from 4cyl cars the V8 trucks. About the size of a small paperback book. Easy to use. Just don't hook it up backwards. I would bet it pays for itself in no time.

4. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Dback2004 and UXDriver like this.
  5. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    Look for a 600amp beatit on Amazon. $55, will start pretty much anything with a gas engine. Weighs 2lbs.

6. unitxero

unitxero Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That scenario is far too unlikely to happen to be profitable in the long term. You'll also be setting yourself up for general liability problems. Steer clear imo. You're more likely to make more money with a tip sign (lol).

7. Wardell Curry

Wardell Curry Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You're gonna charge people for a jump? They would probably just decline and flag down another person willing to do it freely. All they need is jumper cables in their xar and the probability of getting a jump is much higher.

8. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Flagging people down who will do it for free isn't what she is saying. If someone used Uber app to summon a driver to give them a jump, then upon agreement would it be appropriate to ask for payment. She would be going offline and driving to the stranded persons location to assist them. Almost like a AAA.

9. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

So if you could jump 5 cars a day , that's $125 for couple of hours

10. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    Around here not many people answer yes to that "do you have jumper cables" question. People are dicks.

11. RightTurnClyde

RightTurnClyde Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea, but I have never had any pax ask me to give them a jump before (sure it happens though). If this did happen, I'd certainly have no issue charging them $20 for it to compensate me for my time and if they didn't understand this I'd cancel/next em (elderly excluded since I like them).

Scratchington and Chris1962 like this.
  12. Wardell Curry

Wardell Curry Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    But why the hell would they call an uber when it's faster to just flag people down?

Flacco likes this.
  13. touberornottouber

touberornottouber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes. I keep a jumpstarter in my trunk but that is for me or any friends in case the battery gets ran down. There are liability issues as said.

I once let a another driver use my jumpstarter. Well they hooked it up backwards and ended up frying their battery and did some small damage to their vehicle. Thankfully it wasn't my fault though as I let them hook it up themselves (partially because I was aware of liability issues and the other part because I did not know their car, they did).

You never know what the state of that car is when you hook it up. Maybe some bonehead hooked up the terminal color codes wrong so that now when you put it on it is backwards? Or maybe the battery is dangerously faulty and might explode when you hook it up. If you do this make sure you know the safety issues.

14. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I may consider getting on of those all in one packs just to have it in case of emergency anyways, I wouldn't mind helping someone jump with it.

15. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Good question. Maybe they are stuck out in the sticks or they don't want to flag a complete stranger down. Atleast with Uber, you have a way to track the driver down if they got wierd. I agree with you but she did mention that occasionally as a cab driver she would get people calling for a jump. You ask why? Maybe you should ask the people calling the cab company for a jump. Lol

16. Donshonda

Donshonda Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I drove a nice 70's ish man from the airport to his apartment 30 miles away. He wasn't staying there, he just needed to get his truck so he could go to his families thanksgiving. when we got there, something told me to wait until he got it started. It was pitch black out in the woods and I told him I would stay until I saw his truck start. (He lived in Florida, so I knew his truck had been sitting in cold Maine temps for a while) Sure enough? Dead battery. I gave him a jump it started in seconds. Just needed 5 more min of my time. I refused a tip. I made $25 on the trip already. Dead heading all the way back to Portland all I could think about was the world needs more good gestures like that. Plus? My mom would have slapped me silly if I took a tip from that old man. (which he DID offer) Thanksgiving or not.

17. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    While we are on this topic, does anybody know how to open your trunk when your trunk has no key and your seat does not fold down and your battery IS dead? #firstworldproblems.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    negeorgia likes this.
  18. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  19. tradedate

tradedate Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not worth the risk. Something goes wrong on the spot, it's all your fault. They find out there's an electrical problem in the car two months later, it must be something that Uber driver did.

Carry a stand alone jump starter like others suggested for yourself, or if someone (non-uber) needs a good samaritan. If you're a stranger helping a stranger, they can't track down your identity and blame you after the fact.

melusine3 and mrpjfresh like this.
  20. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have one of the all-in-one things myself by Diehard (charger, air compressor, ac and dc ports, even a light) and it sure is handy. Heavy as a few bricks though. It is more for peace of mind though. AAA exists for a reason; this behavior is above and beyond the expectations for an Uber driver not to mention the added liability.

I jumped a girl's car at the gym last year (on my own time) and the leads on her battery were so corroded and crusty, it was like they had white covers. " It's not supposed to look like that?" "..." You never know what you're getting and just how in bad of shape their car and battery will be.

Another related story. My buddy and I were walking up the hill downtown to a bar this summer and saw some fire trucks and police on the way. Apparently some drunks tried to jump start a car, the cables went up and caused both vehicles to catch fire. Think Uber's insurance would cover that, worst case scenario? Lol.

melusine3 likes this.