July 31 GGB closure, sf marathon road closures. 26k runners

nash801

Anyone else going to stay home? Roads closed to 3pm.
Today, Friday sf traffic AWFUL! I turned off app at 6:45 hated the traffic so much
And next weekend Fri, sat, sun Lands End music fest.....traffic!!!

Uberdancer

Yeah...everybody stay home...no one will be able to cross the city ... Roads will be blocked from the bay to the ocean ... Everybody stay home ... Watch the football game ... Have a beer ... Stay home ... Too crowded ... Sweaty bodies ... Stinky body odor ... Stay home, everybody ... Stay home ... Please ... Stay home ... Spare the air ... Do your share ...

nash801

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. I will stay home.

And this afternoon/eve in sf was as bad as yesterday

manuella

Anyone else going to stay home? Roads closed to 3pm.
Today, Friday sf traffic AWFUL! I turned off app at 6:45 hated the traffic so much
And next weekend Fri, sat, sun Lands End music fest.....traffic!!!

Nah can't sit that one out lol just watch out for those bus stop tickets and very very unfriendly pax

Euius

such a nightmare driving tonight .. i should have never tried for the hourly guarantee
The 4 to 10 guarantee started up slow, was behind required ride count for awhile but by 9pm I had 15 rides with no passengers and was finally able to park in a quiet part of sunset

....only to get a 9:45 to Daly City. Thankfully I immediately (after 10pm guarantees started) got a ride to north beach.

Currently at 4 rides after 10, so on schedule but not ahead.

Only issue was this rude Chinese lady at Broadway & Columbus who wouldn't walk around the corner then called me back as I was circling back whining about how I was taking so long. Would have cancelled but for guarantee. On a Pool of course.

Finally got there and she refused to put her cigarette out, so I refused to unlock my doors. Unfortunately I had started the ride to check destination and (for only the second time ever) it didn't give me cancel options when I ended it.

A few minutes later the ride went from it's $8 to zero, probably an automated system. Still expecting a nastygram from support

Euius

Google maps will route around street closures, and very likely to surge

But I'm at my 100 already and will probably stay home

soupergloo

The 4 to 10 guarantee started up slow, was behind required ride count for awhile but by 9pm I had 15 rides with no passengers and was finally able to park in a quiet part of sunset

....only to get a 9:45 to Daly City. Thankfully I immediately (after 10pm guarantees started) got a ride to north beach.

Currently at 4 rides after 10, so on schedule but not ahead.

Only issue was this rude Chinese lady at Broadway & Columbus who wouldn't walk around the corner then called me back as I was circling back whining about how I was taking so long. Would have cancelled but for guarantee. On a Pool of course.

Finally got there and she refused to put her cigarette out, so I refused to unlock my doors. Unfortunately I had started the ride to check destination and (for only the second time ever) it didn't give me cancel options when I ended it.

A few minutes later the ride went from it's $8 to zero, probably an automated system. Still expecting a nastygram from support
it stayed pretty steady for me, but I only drove from 4-8 ..very first ping tried taking me to SFO (effing Uber ALWAYS gives me SFO pings during guarantees), so i cancelled and then I got an Uberpool that took me to chinatown and SOMA right as the giants game let out and then I kept getting surge pings by AT&T park before i could turn the app off to get outa there.

HansUber

Well, Im glad I came across this site/thread. Im a relatively new Uber driver and Im based in Modesto. I was going to drive the distance and do a long day for the guarantees, but from the sound of it meeting the quota isn't very likely and I also have no airport placard. I figure I should probabkly sit this one out. Are there ever times when it's worth it to make a long trip for the fares?

Uberbrethren

Well, Im glad I came across this site/thread. Im a relatively new Uber driver and Im based in Modesto. I was going to drive the distance and do a long day for the guarantees, but from the sound of it meeting the quota isn't very likely and I also have no airport placard. I figure I should probabkly sit this one out. Are there ever times when it's worth it to make a long trip for the fares?
Hans, you need to get an airport placard because you will surely get a ride to SFO from SF and you do not want the ticket. You can request one in the mail (but they might not send it) or you can go to the office they have in Daly City. As for making the long trip, with guarantees surge is way down so it might be hard to make it worthwhile - but maybe monitor the Bay area map from Modesto, look for a pattern you like and then go for it to see for yourself. Best,

seua_yai

Saturday's gross (for me) = $329.58
21 trips
8hr 52min online
made the 10-2 incentive by a hair...
last ride 2:02am Broadway SF to Tiburon (XL) -$82.15

...& yes, there was a lot of traffic.

NASCAR1991

Hans, you need to get an airport placard because you will surely get a ride to SFO from SF and you do not want the ticket. You can request one in the mail (but they might not send it) or you can go to the office they have in Daly City. As for making the long trip, with guarantees surge is way down so it might be hard to make it worthwhile - but maybe monitor the Bay area map from Modesto, look for a pattern you like and then go for it to see for yourself. Best,
How can you have a ticket in a mail. You dropping someone off don't mean you automatically an uber. If they going to airport and i don't have a card i ask them to sit upfront so looks regular. And also use it as an excuse to rejecf airoprt rides if im not feeling it. Cuz long fairs cost you money

Uberbrethren

How can you have a ticket in a mail. You dropping someone off don't mean you automatically an uber. If they going to airport and i don't have a card i ask them to sit upfront so looks regular. And also use it as an excuse to rejecf airoprt rides if im not feeling it. Cuz long fairs cost you money
Hi NASCAR, I meant request a placard in the mail. Your solution of having them sit up front certainly is a good one but my only hesitation is that it depends on the rider being able to follow through and act like you are friends or associates. To be candid, I don't know how well they are paying attention at the airport. I have all the placards and stickers and try to get out of there as fast as I can. Best,

HansUber

Thanks for the help, everyone. Like I said Im new to this and its part time for me so any info is helpful.

I was wondering if I could ask how common or uncommon it is to make $250-300 for say an 8 hour day of fares in SF? Since Im in the central valley my cost of living is substantially lower, so Im trying to figure out the logistics of what I'd need to make for a profitable trip considering the commute, gas, etc. here in central valley it's not really something you can do full time, mostly just an extra side thing to do now and then when you're running errands or something. I'm considering trying to do a full day in places like SF and Sacramento.

RedoBeach

it stayed pretty steady for me, but I only drove from 4-8 ..very first ping tried taking me to SFO (effing Uber ALWAYS gives me SFO pings during guarantees), so i cancelled and then I got an Uberpool that took me to chinatown and SOMA right as the giants game let out and then I kept getting surge pings by AT&T park before i could turn the app off to get outa there.
Have you used the no more rides feature yet? It worked pretty well for me the other day in a similar scenario, but no idea if it is still working?

Euius

21 trips
8hr 52min online
More trips (35), more time (10 hours-worked 4pm to 1:30am guarantee, offline until 2, then surge rides til 2:30)

...and lower gross. Pool4thewin. But I was in the guarantee almost all the time, and qualified for every full hour except 1-2am, which was only half of course.

The one time I'll do a ride to Palo Alto or Tiberon, I got a 3.0x at 2:02am, and took them to the Mission. Got back and got a couple under 2x

I went offline at 1am because Friday I didn't and at 1am I got a Pool, instantly a two pickup, then when I'm dropping off the first I get another. Drop off the second, I get a fourth. Drop off the third I get a fifth. I mean that literally, the fourth pickup was *at* the second's drop off, and the fifth pickup was at the thirds dropoff.

Then the fifth takes me to South SF, and it's 2:10am in the morning. At no point did I see the destination of the rider I was picking up as I was picking them up, so unless I started asking riders where they were going I couldn't just skip the pickup and didn't want to cancel in the guarantee as I already had three times in the period. Total pool ride was 1hour 10minutes, 21 miles for $26, and left me 20 minutes of dead miles from anywhere useful. Would have been at least $20 more doing the 2am surge, or possibly that $80 Tiburon ride.

I know eventually I'll have the drama of having to kick out a Pool ride because their Sunnyvale or Palo Alto destination was masked by the next pickup, but I didn't want the drama for only South SF. (Plus my "The fares are lower" reason doesn't work)

soupergloo

Have you used the no more rides feature yet? It worked pretty well for me the other day in a similar scenario, but no idea if it is still working?
that feature hasn't shown up in my app yet .. the only new feature i've seen so far is the uberpool countdown, but that has long disappeared as well :frown:

RedoBeach

21 trips
8hr 52min online

...& yes, there was a lot of traffic.
You mentioned this is "Gross" earnings, more importantly, what is your Net?

Are all your fares XL fares or do you drive both platforms?