1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Judge rules on taxi industry lawsuit: Compete with Uber or die

Discussion in 'News' started by Michael - Cleveland, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Judge rules on taxi industry lawsuit:
    Compete with Uber or die

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/articl...axi-industry-lawsuit-compete-with-uber-or-die

“Any expectation that the medallion would function as a shield against the rapid technological advances of the modern world would not have been reasonable,” he wrote. “In this day and age, even with public utilities, investors must always be wary of new forms of competition arising from technological developments.”

The plaintiffs, led by four Queens credit unions who lent heavily to medallion buyers, plan to appeal.

Taxi and Limousine Commission Chairwoman Meera Joshi said, “This decision is a victory for the riding public, and leaves no question as to the appropriateness of our regulatory approach to app-dispatched services. Passengers will remain free to continue to enjoy the many transportation options available to them."

2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    New York City, at least, does impose some regulations on TNCs. What is keeping it from capping the number of TNC vehicle licences that it issues, just as it does with medallions that it issues, escapes me.

It seems that the only thing that stops the TLC from capping the number of TNC licences that it issues is the TNCs' complaining about such a cap. The complaining from the regulated has not always stopped regulators. Marry, in recent years, such complaining has only made the regulators more overbearing than they had originally intended.

I guess that some TNCs make noise to make it look good while they "make arrangements".

3. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Serious question (really)...
    If there are currently 13,000 Uber drivers/cars in NYC, but only 2,000 of them are available in NYC during rush hours (as a recent report has shown), is it necessary to cap the number of TNC drivers/cars?

4. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I am not sure if it is or is not necessary to cap the TNC licences. I made my statements because I was aware that there was some agitation in the Upper Ranks of New York City government to do so, but, that it had not done so. I was more curious as to what was keeping it from doing so, given the imperious nature of most regulators.

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  5. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In my main city area ,<Edit: located in Texas> , only Uber knows how many U drivers it has. Only drivers who voluntarily went through the City's regulations have TNC permits. Uber staff tells drivers the permit is necessary to pickup w/n the City or at the airports.

One can pickup outside the Beltway without the permit, even if it is The City, b/c Uber Staff does not recognize The City as being outside the Beltway.

Needless to say The City really does not know the true number of U drivers in the area. It only knows the numbers of permits given out.

JM2¢W

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  6. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Understood.
    NYC is one of those cities that has negotiated with Uber to receive data on rides provided and number of cars online at any given time, so they do (reportedly) have accurate data.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    UberNorthStar likes this.
  7. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Michael, my apologies. I was referring to a city in Texas. I will clarify the post. :)

8. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No... I understood! That's why I said "Understood" :)

UberNorthStar likes this.