• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Job transferring me to San Jose, CA

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently in South Florida and my full-time job is eyeing me for a transfer to San Jose.

After seeing what it costs to live out there and almost fainting, I decided I'll probably continue to uber out there at least until I establish myself in my commission based job.

I was wondering what the uber market is like in the San Jose area. My office will be in South San Jose, and I'll probably be trying to live in the "Alamitos" area.

Also if it's relevant I drive a 2018 BMW 320i, I don't qualify for LUX in my market, but I believe I'll still qualify for select in the bay area, right?

Pax Collector

Also if it's relevant I drive a 2018 BMW 320i, I don't qualify for LUX in my market, but I believe I'll still qualify for select in the bay area, right?
Your car does qualify for select down here, but word is the market for select is slowly diminishing. People rather pay for X and get the same high end car as it's the case with most drivers. Don't be surprised if you start hauling X and Pool in your fancy beamer because you won't make any money by sticking to select only.

As far as the rest of the market, it is oversaturated, our rates got slashed again, there's no multiplier surge as of yesterday, and rideshare is generally not what it used to be anymore. Unless you dedicate a significant amount of time to driving, you won't see much meaningful income.

Like you said, it is pretty pricey out here. Hopefully your fulltime job gets you far financially, but I wouldn't depend on ridesharing. With minimum wage expected to rise to $15 and $16/hr, you're better off flipping burgers. At least you know you'll get a paycheck at the end of the week.

See you on the streets! And remember, our drivers aren't the best out here so be sure to invest on a good commercial insurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At least the rates will be substantially higher than Miami!

I'm only planning to drive 20 hrs a week max, mostly nights/weekends.

Thanks for the advice!

on an off topic...what are some areas I should avoid looking for apartments in?

I'm not looking to live lavish, just want to avoid any areas I might get broken into, robbed, etc.

observer

At least the rates will be substantially higher than Miami!

I'm only planning to drive 20 hrs a week max, mostly nights/weekends.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not looking to live lavish, just want to avoid any areas I might get broken into, robbed, etc.
When I was looking to move up to the Bay Area in 2001 I looked in Milpitas. One bedrooms back then were only 2,400 bux.

I decided it was cheaper in my case to commute by airplane from LAX.

Pax Collector

It depends how much you're willing to pay. Most of San Jose is relatively safe as long as you avoid the East side, so is the peninsula (But extremely pricey) with the exception of maybe East Palo Alto. Anyting south of San Jose is also safe and isolated for the most part.

With a bill that passed reducing most property crimes into misdemeanors we've seen a rise in break ins and auto burglaries. Using common sense and hiding valuables out of sight should help in avoiding being a victim.

Pax Collector

is $1900/mo realistic to pay for a studio/1br?
Last time I went apartment shopping in San Jose, which was three years ago, most one bedrooms were going for $1500-2100, and studios for $800-1200, so if you look around you'll find one for your price. Paying less for apartments means living in a less than favorable area. Don't even think about the peninsula for that price, as most places start at around $2500. You also have to realize that most places see an average of 10-15% annual increase in their price.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you aren't moving to a renter friendly area.

observer

Last time I went apartment shopping in San Jose, which was three years ago, most one bedrooms were going for $1500-2100, and studios for $800-1200, so if you look around you'll find one for your price. Paying less for apartments means living in a less than favorable area. Don't even think about the peninsula for that price, as most places start at around $2500. You also have to realize that most places see an average of 10-15% annual increase in their price.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you aren't moving to a renter friendly area.
Once you get moved in it's hard to move so landlords know they can raise your rent.

If you find a building you like it may be a good idea to talk to some of the tenants and ask about the frequency of increases.

In LA I've heard of some places increasing rents by a 100% over three years. Landlords are experimenting with how far they can push tenants before they move out.

is $1900/mo realistic to pay for a studio/1br?

Cableguynoe

I picked up a guy at Apple that was going to the airport.
He had flown in just for an interview at Apple.

I know he had to be applying for a pretty high end job because he said his interview was 5 hours long with 5 different people.
They even continued the interview while they fed him.

He said he liked his chances at getting the job. But before coming his wife and him looked up housing and wasn't sure he could afford to live there even with that good job. I forget what state he was from but it was obviously a drastic change.

He started asking me about Oakland lol

Pretty sad that even with a good job people can't afford to live here.

Last edited:

observer

I picked up a guy at Apple that was going to the airport.
He had flown in just for an interview at Apple.

I know he had to be applying for a pretty high end job because he said his interview was 5 hours long with 5 different people.
They even continued the interview while they fed him.

He said he liked his chances at getting the job. But before coming his wife and him looked up housing and wasn't sure he could afford to live there even with that good job. I forget what state he was from but it was obviously a drastic change.

He started asking me about Oakland lol

Pretty sad that even with a good job people can't afford to live here.
It's not just housing that is more expensive.

Everything is more expensive.

When my excompany wanted me to transfer up there, I looked at everything.

Gasoline was higher.

Insurance was higher.

Food was higher.

Schooling costs were triple what they were in LA.

Housing was double to triple the cost.

In order for me to live a comparable life, I would have to move to Modesto or Oakdale or some other inland community and commute one to two hours each way.

It wasn't worth uprooting my family for double my salary.

So, I commuted by plane, three days a week for eight years. Sometimes I would stay at a hotel overnight but mostly I flew up and back the same day. My commute time was about two hours each way, door to door.

NorCalPhil

It's not just housing that is more expensive.

Everything is more expensive.

When my excompany wanted me to transfer up there, I looked at everything.

Gasoline was higher.

Insurance was higher.

Food was higher.

Schooling costs were triple what they were in LA.

Housing was double to triple the cost.

In order for me to live a comparable life, I would have to move to Modesto or Oakdale or some other inland community and commute one to two hours each way.

It wasn't worth uprooting my family for double my salary.

So, I commuted by plane, three days a week for eight years. Sometimes I would stay at a hotel overnight but mostly I flew up and back the same day. My commute time was about two hours each way, door to door.
I've picked up several people who do this - mostly from Reno. Commuter flights are pretty cheap.

Just BS

I picked up someone in Walnut Crerk yesterday and took her to the airport. She works here but lives in SLC, UT. She said she sees the same people on her flights doing the same thing. She used to live here but got out. Is just waiting to retire.

As to the OP's question, San Jose surge map lights up bright red every night. While Uber pay and surge has dropped, there appears to be plenty of opportunities to rideshare.

observer

I've picked up several people who do this - mostly from Reno. Commuter flights are pretty cheap.
Back then filghts were 80 bux round trip. You also got one free roundtrip flight for every four purchased so that brought my cost down to 60 bux.

The hotel was a 140 bux a night. So it made more sense to commute.

Right after 9/11 flights dropped down to 19 bux each way, LAX-OAK and OAK-LAX, plus you got the extra free flight for every four purchased.

I flew well over 3,000 flights on Southwest plus several on Jetblue when they started flying out of LGB. Jetblue was nice but coultdn't compete with Soutwest on frequency of flights or the frequent flyer program.

Jack12345

Found a place for 2100 for 2BD/1.5BT townhouse on Landess ave by 680. I think it’s a fair price. 12 miles commute to work with no traffic. Used to live in Hayward 34 miles commute with 9am traffic for 1900 2BD/1BT apartment. I work by Santana Row. Check out that neighborhood, 95132, very reasonable price. Maybe very traffic if you have to take 237 to work