Uber Drivers Forum banner

Jamming GPS at Pearson airport

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  One Star 
#1 ·
Since UberX has been allowed at Pearson, has anyone noticed their GPS signals have been out of whack? Does anyone else suspect GPS jamming from taxi drivers as retaliation?

#6 ·
Let's face it only newbies need GPS to get around airport. I say you should quit asap if you still using GPS to get to the airport.
This comment makes no sense. Of course I know where the airport is. Uber needs my GPS turned on so it knows my location and can match me with riders. How would the app work if I turned off my GPS?

Magnet mounts usually throw the GPS off
Vertebrate Gesture Font Happy People

#14 ·
So, a friend of mine told me that this has been happening at the shitter quite a bit to allow people to skip the que. I have no idea how it works but supposedly there are a lot of scams at YYZ involving Uber drivers.

Can anyone provide details as to how it works?
I had success by parking just outside of geographical area for 15 mins, then leaving the the spot by approx 150m and coming back right inside the geographical area. It alters the queue by big margin. Cons- always get the shortest ride. Didnt tried it from the last couple of months. Maybe changed.

#21 ·
Ok, I'll come clean, I'm doing it. Idea is to get everyone kicked out of the queue so I will be next in line. Considering on average I get $25 rides from there the $2,500 radio equipment I bought for that purpose will pay itself off in 100 rides, I'm about 35 rides in so far. ...........Unless someone can tell me if it is tax deductible.

#24 ·
Your analogy is meaningless. You made an assumption that cabbies didn't have the intelligence and it was refuted with proof.
To suggest that one countries' drivers aren't as intelligent as anothers' is merely grasping at straws and only makes you look like the one who is "less intelligent".

Give it up, admit that you've been "owned" and save yourself from further embarrassment.

#25 ·
Your analogy is meaningless. You made an assumption that cabbies didn't have the intelligence and it was refuted with proof.
To suggest that one countries' drivers aren't as intelligent as anothers' is merely grasping at straws and only makes you look like the one who is "less intelligent".

Give it up, admit that you've been "owned" and save yourself from further embarrassment.
Owned.......Lol.
Just because an Aussie land Cabbie did it doesn't mean Canadian ones have the balls or brains to do it. Definitely no balls for sure.

I also have proof to show that cabbies here don't have brains. Look below.

Attachments

#29 ·
Anyways, I seriously doubt it's happening here either but I had to make a point.
Kurt said it best, there's no monopoly on stupidity.

Too be honest, I believe a lack of gps or cell reception is more to do with the placement of the phone in the vehicle than anything. Especially if it's a cheap android phone which in many cases my have less than top notch antenna components.

Since so many people are afraid of being fined, they keep them mounted lower in the vehicle. The signal is trying to go through the tin roof of the vehicle as opposed to someone that has a standalone gps unit which in most cases people would mount in the windshield area where it can get a clearer signal.

Probably lots of rebar in the terminal buildings and all the roadway over/under passes as well as the shuttle tram rails all which act like Farady cages in absorbing signals.

When you keep your phone low and away from the windshield, you're going to have these problems. If you have a panoramic roof then you might be ok but it still wouldn't be good for cell reception as the lower the device is in the vehicle, the more metal that will surround it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.