1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I've got 200,000 miles on my car.

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You get 17 mpg????

You suuuuuure about that?

2. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  3. Kembolicous

Kembolicous Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My 07 Town Car has 310,000. Doesn't smoke or rattle. Idles smooth as glass, the riders love it, easy maintenance, even gets decent milege. I got it from an Uber guy that was running 4 of them. I am strict about the maintenance, and think I can get it to 500K miles. And best part, paid cash for it $2250. Perfect body and interior. Great quality car.

grams777 and Michael - Cleveland like this.
  4. Nice_Guy

Nice_Guy Active Member

That's a big lie! No Prius can reach that level, 300k + miles is unheard of

5. Kembolicous

Driving:
    UberX
    No way will I use synthetic again. The car has an oil life monitor. With natural Pennzoil, monitor wants it changed at 4500. With Pennzoil synthetic, monitor wants changed at 5400. But the big problem was the leaks the synthetic caused. Just changed to Quarter State high mileage oil, hopefully it will seal the leaks. So not much better life for more expense, oil leaks that were not there before, and mpg didn't change much. With the QS oil, the monitor says 82% oil life left, with 1018 miles on the oil. At this rate the natural oil will last almost as long as the pricey synthetic. I was planning on 7500 miles on the Pennzoil Synthetic. Didn't mind the extra cost for the extra miles between changes, but that didn't work out. And now, going from the syn 5W-20 to 5W-30 natural, that start up rattle is gone, common to Ford, another plus.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

6. merryon2nd

merryon2nd Member

Havoline is actually the same TYPE of oil as Quaker State high mileage, but a better grade oil. I'm personally a Castrol person myself. Though my work truck takes the Havoline like a champ. Pennzoil in general is actually not the best grade of oil anyway. However 110,000 isn't much wear on a motor that's well taken care of. And wear is a relative term in itself. A car that gets all its preventive maintenance within a reasonable time of when the manufacturer states can last forever, or until the body rots out. I've had cars that I've raced, never rebuilt once, and lasted over 400k. And then I touched them up and sold them on. People pay well for maintenance, sometimes regardless of mileage. If you're getting a rough start, or a rattle or shake as mileage goes up, sometimes just making the oil a little heavier does wonders, and even helps with small leaks and ring gaps.

Kembolicous likes this.
  7. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

It seems like a huge percentage of folks I know are working multiple part time jobs, i.e. the army of part-timers have already destroyed most full time industries, or perhaps more likely, companies aren't often interested in hiring full-time employees. I bet a lot of part-timers need Uber to make ends meet.

8. merryon2nd

merryon2nd Member

Exactly this. Most companies now are finding it more financially sound at a corporation standpoint to hire a bunch of part timers instead a steady stream of full timers. Hardly any benefits, can work as little as one day a week, no paid breaks under a certain amount of time, and they can be hired and let go as often as the company wants without much of a legal hangjob.

Because of this, many people are being forced to take multiple part time jobs, and I would put a track sized wager on the fact that its Uber that helps close whatever gap is left by having more than one job, no steady hours, and an uncertain future as employed.

Kembolicous and Trafficat like this.
  9. Kembolicous

Driving:
    UberX
    Both Pennzoil and Quarter State are now owned by Shell. The rattle at start up is, at least they say, is caused by a leaky anti drain back valve. I changed to 5W-30 from 5W-20, and the start up rattle is all but gone. 5-20 is what the manual recommends, but it think it is too thin. It could have been a leaky drain back valve, it is a Wix filter with a silicon drain valve. So we'll see.

10. merryon2nd

merryon2nd Member

Yeah. That's why I don't use QS or Pennz. Its actually common after a bunch of miles for certain things to go wrong. Sometimes the rings will stretch, or the valve heads will warp a tiny bit, both of which would also cause that sound as well. 5-20 is too thin in anything over 150k without a stabilizer. Wix isn't bad. I use Wix on my older trucks. Haven't had a problem. And silicone seals better longer. If the rattle comes back, a bottle of Lucas should do you nicely. Even helps deaden valve tap and knock in cars in bad condition.

Kembolicous likes this.
  11. Kembolicous

Driving:
    UberX
    The engine runs very smooth, and no ticks, other than the injectors firing. The Quarter State gets some very nice reviews at the "Bob is the Oil Guy" site. Engines using a quart every 1500 miles, now going to 3000 miles before using a quart, according to those guy, noisy lifters going silent too. The Corvette forum also gave good reviews to Quaker State. So far my MPG is the same as the synthetic, and at a little over 1000 miles on the change, I am at less than 20% life used up in the oil. I checked oil last night, it needed a half quart. It looks as though the valve cover leak has stopped, I see nothing there that was leaking on to the exhaust, at the right rear side of the valve cover. Seems it is doing as it claims, to seal up engines. So far it seems to be a good oil.

And yes, I did add the Lucas long before the change, but it did not help the rattle much. I think it was that 5W-20 causing it, even with the Lucas.

And for air filters, I just installed a GR8 filter. It is a washable/reusable filter. Looks like a K&N but without the oil to booger up the MAF sensor. Available on Amazon.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017