I've asked Uber for a change to Pool. Thoughts?

NFIH

I let Uber know that one aspect of Pool that I don't like is that it potentially stuffs too many people into the car. Which makes for an uncomfortable ride for everyone. Which lowers everyone's satisfaction.

Technically, my car can carry four passengers. But you sure won't like it unless you all know each other. So what I suggested to Uber is that they allow the driver to set the max number of passengers he/she will take. I like to cap mine at two, three tops.

But with the new auto-accept system that won't be possible. Good idea to let drivers set a passenger mac independent of what the model of car suggssts is the max?

Myxx

I let Uber know that one aspect of Pool that I don't like is that it potentially stuffs too many people into the car. Which makes for an uncomfortable ride for everyone. Which lowers everyone's satisfaction.

Technically, my car can carry four passengers. But you sure won't like it unless you all know each other. So what I suggested to Uber is that they allow the driver to set the max number of passengers he/she will take. I like to cap mine at two, three tops.

But with the new auto-accept system that won't be possible. Good idea to let drivers set a passenger mac independent of what the model of car suggssts is the max?
Won't work... You need to a vehicle with capacity of 5 people including the driver .. SO saying you can't carry 4 PAXs will get you cancelled.

elelegido

I don't do Pool any more, but this was never a problem for me. For the riders, maybe, but never for me. As the driver, I always got my own seat.

Cheap pax know the Pool rules and know that they might get squeezed in. The matchups could be highly entertaining for me as a driver. 2 princesses + 2 potheads could be quite a fun match. The best one I had though was a male solo rider up front, two princesses in the back, and the final ping turned out to be this guy who looked rough as hell, like he'd just slept the night on a park bench. The two princesses went dead quiet when they realised he was going to be sitting next to them.

"Good morning, sir, welcome aboard!" :biggrin:

scott huston

I don't do Pool any more, but this was never a problem for me. For the riders, maybe, but never for me. As the driver, I always got my own seat.

Cheap pax know the Pool rules and know that they might get squeezed in. The matchups could be highly entertaining for me as a driver. 2 princesses + 2 potheads could be quite a fun match. The best one I had though was a male solo rider up front, two princesses in the back, and the final ping turned out to be this guy who looked rough as hell, like he'd just slept the night on a park bench. The two princesses went dead quiet when they realised he was going to be sitting next to them.

Exactly this. Having four cram into your car is the best part of pool.

Uber-AJ

I recently did the survey regarding the timer and the "automatically added" feature and asked them to remove it and tighten up pool matches. I recently stopped taking pool pings in Toronto because of this feature, it's way too stressful it not properly matched. I guess we'll have to wait and see....

Slim Pete

I recently did the survey regarding the timer and the "automatically added" feature and asked them to remove it and tighten up pool matches. I recently stopped taking pool pings in Toronto because of this feature, it's way too stressful it not properly matched. I guess we'll have to wait and see....
i never take pool. ever.
in fact, i am unable to take advantage of many of those guarantee offers they send me because they require 90% acceptance rate, and because i ignore pool i'm way below it.

NFIH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eh, I still feel bad for the riders when they're crammed in like sardines and I also still feel like my own personal space is being violated. It's one thing if you all know each other, but it's another if you're all strangers. Then it's just like taking public transit on a crowded subway/bus, but when you take an Uber you're expecting a better quality of experience than that.

Actionjax

It's funny, everyone here it's all about the money but now we are all worried about how comfortable the passenger is on a pool ride? Sorry, you order pool you are lucky you are not getting strapped to the roof with bungee cords. Last I checked the TTC during rush hour you will be standing in the subway. That's zero seats.

NFIH it's a good suggestion but one I think will get abused by the driver saying they only have 2 seats available. Just because they don't want to move their junk off the front seat.

Now I do think that the positive side of this is you can remove a seat when a pax has luggage and bags that take up a spot. And they are charged an extra fee for it. The other day I ordered a pool to test the new guaranteed time to destination feature on the rider app to see how accurate it is. The guy in my pool had his dry cleaning hanging in my spot so I couldn't get in and his bag on the seat. Told him would he like to move it or would he like me to throw it out of the car.

Was nice to give it back to someone as a rider for being a prick.

NFIH

It's funny, everyone here it's all about the money but now we are all worried about how comfortable the passenger is on a pool ride? Sorry, you order pool you are lucky you are not getting strapped to the roof with bungee cords. Last I checked the TTC during rush hour you will be standing in the subway. That's zero seats.
Everyone? As of this writing I believe I'm the only one in this thread who has cited rider comfort as an issue. Others seem to be revelling in maximizing rider discomfort. Awkward passenger situations make it awkward for *everyone* in the car, including me. And since I'm the one stuck in the car for hours, you can be sure I'm trying to minimize my discomfort. I keep my seats clear and my knapsack on the floor of the front passenger seat, not the seat itself. It's tidy. But I don't want more than two or three other people in the car at a time and I will continue to enforce that rule by declining additional pool requests that may take me above that number. After all, it's my car, I'm an independent contractor and good service *includes* the quality of the ride itself and not just the total number of rides (the latter being no doubt what the allegedly "customer-focused" Uber really wants).

Token44

I don't want more than two or three other people in the car at a time and I will continue to enforce that rule by declining additional pool requests that may take me above that number. After all, it's my car, I'm an independent contractor and good service *includes* the quality of the ride itself and not just the total number of rides (the latter being no doubt what the allegedly "customer-focused" Uber really wants).
Great thought, but with pool trips being added automatically now, the only way to ensure you will not have every seat occupied by a pax is to not accept the first pool ping. You can no longer decline additional requests.

Hannibalb

Here's another suggestion for pool- actually kick off problem pax from the platform. Now that drivers have no control over who they pick up based on the rating, this is more important than ever. Falling below a certain rating should lead to a ban for pax. A couple of major incidents reported by drivers should lead to a ban.

scott huston

Everyone? As of this writing I believe I'm the only one in this thread who has cited rider comfort as an issue. Others seem to be revelling in maximizing rider discomfort. Awkward passenger situations make it awkward for *everyone* in the car, including me. And since I'm the one stuck in the car for hours, you can be sure I'm trying to minimize my discomfort. I keep my seats clear and my knapsack on the floor of the front passenger seat, not the seat itself. It's tidy. But I don't want more than two or three other people in the car at a time and I will continue to enforce that rule by declining additional pool requests that may take me above that number. After all, it's my car, I'm an independent contractor and good service *includes* the quality of the ride itself and not just the total number of rides (the latter being no doubt what the allegedly "customer-focused" Uber really wants).
Why would you be uncomfortable, you have your own seat.

NFIH

Great thought, but with pool trips being added automatically now, the only way to ensure you will not have every seat occupied by a pax is to not accept the first pool ping. You can no longer decline additional requests.
That's what I thought, but as of last week--when I was last driving--I was still able to decline subsequent pool requests by simply letting the timer run out. Don't know what's up with that. But failing this, I'll just decline Pools from the start when it suits me, which is what I've normally done.

NFIH

Why would you be uncomfortable, you have your own seat.
Because as I said, if the car is crowded, I also feel crowded. Having my own seat doesn't change that. All the other riders have their own seats as well, but they clearly look and feel crowded. I just want all parties to be happy and being comfortable makes everyone happy.

One other issue I've had related to this is that on a number of occasions I've had pool riders who were very overweight or obese (incredibly, on two occasions it was a couple, both of whom were quite overweight and squeezing anothet person in the back would have been cruel). This literally shrinks the amount of space available though the number of seats hasn't changed. So I want to be able to control how many people get in the car to account for this as well.