ITT Post if filed as IC AND got paid

DollarFree

wait until they send you a notice of claim and then you can write them a letter. You guys can all be doing this right now. Actually, you could just go ahead and mail it now as an addendum to ur application and just let them know your SS# on your correspondence. I still don't have a ten digit EDD # - so no need to wait for that.

If anybody out there did not give EDD your monthly and quarterly income as well as your income during your last week you may as well write to them and submit it now.

Send to:
UI Center Sacramento
PO Box 419091
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9091
I gave them the quarterly incomes with Uber as last employer and it made no difference, still got 0.0 award. If I was to write back inside the 10 days with copies of the U/L annual summaries maybe that'll make a difference.

Annoying thing is I had a chunk of W2 income in Q4, enough to get me $200/wk more than my best Uber qtr would get, but I didn't understand the Standard Base Period thing when I applied on 3/29, so the Q4 W2 income got ignored ('cos they discard the most recent complete qtr when deciding the award). If I'd applied the next day the claim would have gone to 4/5 and the Q4 W2 income would have counted...
So now I guess I should file another application for 4/12, put U/L income as IC instead with the W2 company as last employer. I've no idea how that works, putting in a 2nd claim when a prior one is still active, but it might just be so long as they can find a valid W2 employer to hit up for the increased UI taxes they they'll ok it, they got enough other problems as it is.
Post automatically merged:

I would definitely say with the passage of AB5 we are now employees of U/L by the State own definition, so the EDD should view us as such.
EDD have some blurb about 0 awards too at

Can I still qualify for Unemployment Insurance benefits if my EDD notice shows that I have $0 in benefits available?
Generally, a mailed notice showing a $0 benefit award available may mean that we have no wage records reported by an employer to support an unemployment claim, or we need to verify your identity for the reported wages that belong to you. Employers pay a contribution to the state’s Unemployment Insurance (UI) Trust Fund for each employee they have on their payroll. This pays for unemployment benefits — workers do not contribute to UI.
If you filed for UI and received an award notice with $0 benefits available, it could be due to one of three scenarios:
  • If we are unable to verify your identity with our records, we’ll mail you a request to verify your identity. You have 10 calendar days from the mail date to send us two forms of identity documents from the list of Acceptable Documents for Identity Verification (DE 1326CD) (PDF). Once we verify your identity, you’ll receive a new notice telling you what our wage records show for weekly UI benefit payments if you meet all other eligibility requirements.
  • You were misclassified by your employer as an independent contractor instead of an employee or your wage information may have been inadvertently transposed when your employer reported your information to the EDD. If you believe our record of your wages isn’t correct, follow the instructions on the notice to respond to the EDD. We will follow up with you and your employer for any details needed to make a determination, which may include your W-2, Form 1099, or a paycheck stub.
  • You’re self-employed or an independent contractor and have not paid contributions to the state Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund. As part of the federal CARES Act, the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program helps unemployed Californians who are usually not eligible for regular state unemployment benefits and are unemployed or not providing services due to reasons directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic, including business owners, the self-employed or those with limited recent work history. Visit the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance page for updates and information on eligibility and when to file.
They should really rename the EDD site Catch22 .com...

The PUA page

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance

As part of the federal CARES Act, the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program helps unemployed Californians who are business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, have limited work history, and others not usually eligible for regular state UI benefits who are out of business or services are significantly reduced as a direct result of the pandemic. The provisions of the program once operational include:
  • Up to 39 weeks of benefits starting with weeks of unemployment beginning February 2, 2020, through the week ending December 31, 2020, depending on when you became directly impacted by the pandemic.
  • An additional $600 to each PUA weekly benefit amount you may be eligible to receive, as part of the separate CARES Act Pandemic Additional Compensation program. Only the weeks of a claim between March 29 and July 31 are eligible for the extra $600 payments.
Important Information
Note: Because this is a brand new program, each state will need time to develop all of the necessary system programming, forms, processes, and procedures. This page will be updated as information becomes available, including when and how to apply for these benefits. Once this new complex program is built and staffed, it will likely rival the size of the regular UI program the EDD already administers.
As we work to implement this new program, you can:
Eligibility
The PUA benefits are payable if you don’t qualify for regular UI benefits in California or another state and also do not qualify for State Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. This includes:
  • Self-employed individuals
  • Independent contractor
You must also meet one of the following criteria:
  • You are unable to reach the place of employment as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
  • If you work as an independent contractor with reportable income, you may also qualify for PUA benefits if you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work because the COVID-19 public health emergency has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities, and has thereby forced you to stop working.
When to File a Claim
The EDD is sorting through details from the U.S Department of Labor as to how they want this complex program to work in issuing payments that the federal government will be funding. We have a dedicated team working around the clock with state partners to build this new program as quickly as possible. This page will be updated with instructions for filing a claim for PUA benefits when details become available.

If you are unsure if you are an independent contractor or an employee who could be eligible for benefits, file for regular Unemployment Insurance benefits and we will determine your eligibility.

Last edited:

5070bolo

It's frustrating how Easy it is for an w2 employee to qualify and how difficult it is for us... I feel like they aren't trying hard enough to approve us.. If they gonna put Rideshare drivers in the Headlines for us to qualify for UI Benefits atleast have their shiit together already

DollarFree

It's frustrating how Easy it is for an w2 employee to qualify and how difficult it is for us... I feel like they aren't trying hard enough to approve us.. If they gonna put Rideshare drivers in the Headlines for us to qualify for UI Benefits atleast have their shiit together already
I suspect EDD don’t want to do it and are so used to being an untouchable bureaucracy that they’re forgetting their place. Their place is to do what they’re told to do by Congress.

Robert Larrison

Republicans in Congress suck
they were against giving anything to peeps

They just wanted to do a To Big To Fail for business.
They still haven't clarified if IC loans are forgivable or must be repaid.

The last one that just went out for business is forgivable loans if certain criteria like paying employees missing wages,not 1099's/IC's

I just re certified again for my last 2 weeks and it took me about 5 minutes

DollarFree

Republicans in Congress suck
they were against giving anything to peeps

They just wanted to do a To Big To Fail for business.
They still haven't clarified if IC loans are forgivable or must be repaid.

The last one that just went out for business is forgivable loans if certain criteria like paying employees missing wages,not 1099's/IC's

I just re certified again for my last 2 weeks and it took me about 5 minutes
The first set of SBA loans are forgiveable at the rate of $1k per employee.
ICs can apply for the PP loans and are forgiveable so long as 75% is used for payroll and the rest for real business costs like rent. Of course ICs can’t qualify for a PP loan to maintain their own payroll and still expect to get UI.

Last edited:

Robert Larrison

The first set of SBA loans are forgiveable at the rate of $1k per employee.
ICs can apply for the PP loans and are forgiveable so long as 75% is used for payroll and the rest for real business costs like rent. Of course ICs can’t qualify for a PP loan to maintain their own payroll and still expect to get UI.
Thank The Donald

Misunderstood Pirate

The W-2 employees had companies that paid into it. Uber and lyft paid zero. What do u expect?