1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Its not right, State farm!!!

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Jjkaemom, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Jjkaemom

Jjkaemom

Had to stop Ubering because State Farm wouldn't cover my vehicle because ubering was my only source of income? Has anyone heard of this before??

MoneyUber4 likes this.
  2. observer

observer Moderator

You are using your vehicle for commercial purposes, they have the right to cut you off.

Look up Metromile on Google, they will cover some of your TNC driving. Uber will cover part of it, but read your coverages carefully because there may be gaps.

3. XUberMike

XUberMike

Driving:
    UberX
    They just figured you were not going to make enuf money to pay the premium is all.

4. Just switched to Farmers for about the same price as 21st cent.

5. Yes, it is a sad state of affairs when we lose our right to engage in insurance fraud.

The American Century™ is surely over.

6. XUberMike

XUberMike

Driving:
    UberX
    Car
    Care to add where you saw insurance fraud mentioned in this thread?

7. Jjkaemom

Jjkaemom

I'm on SSI/Disability, do to having Metastatic bone Cancer, I've ALWAYS have paid my premium, I just wanted to do Ubering part time, and because SSI/Disability isn't counted as "earned income" State farm said that they wouldn't cover me, because Uber would count as my primary income?? I just don't think it's right!!

8. Jjkaemom

Jjkaemom

I thought Ubering wasn't consider a Commercial job, in California?

9. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    I find it interesting as they are the parent company of esurance that actually endorses lyft.

10. Jjkaemom

Jjkaemom

I think it's very wrong, that if I had a job that paid me more money then ubering, State Farm would then insure me, but since Uber would be my only source of "Earned income" they won't cover me, even though for over 2 yes, they have been insuring me and my 2014 car, with only being on SSI/Disability?

Luberon likes this.
  11. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

It has nothing to do with income levels. Using your vehicle for commercial purposes (yes, Uber is commercial) exposes you and your vehicle to more chances of an accident/claim. Thus, higher rates. Check with the firms mentioned above and you'll have coverage in no time.

12. observer

observer Moderator

Uber doesn't consider it commercial but insurance companies certainly do, Uber misleads its drivers on many things.

13. Gretzky

Gretzky

This ;)

14. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    Hi Jjkaaemom.

Welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement.

New Drivers have 30Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Your vehicle when used to earn money (pizza/newspaper delivery, transporting people) is called a
    "vehicle-for-hire" and is excluded from most (if not all) personal insurance policies for coverage. In essence you are driving a taxi cab which requires commercial insurance -- in any state.

Insurance fraud: Driving your car as a vehicle-for-hire and not informing your auto insurance company you are doing do. REASON: You are not paying the higher premium for using your car in a commercial way.

chi1cabby likes this.
  15. I think you need to look up the word "commercial" in a dictionary.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  16. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    Since you are new, do you know how the James River policy covers you and how it does not? This is the way I explain it . . .

My insurance agent reviewed the Uber insurance policy (aka James Rivers) for me. These were his comments.
    1. There is nothing in the JR policy to cover damage to my vehicle or my medical expenses. [Commercial (bodily, collision, comprehensive)]

2. Forget the contingency clause. If my insurance learned I was driving for-hire, they would cancel my auto insurance immediately. (So, I am not driving yet.)

3. The JR policy is liability insurance to cover my passengers' medical and property damage expenses, the "other guy's" medical and property damage. The $1M umbrella policy I consider to be a CYA for Uber incase it is sued.

In TX (where I live) most if not all policies carry an exclusion of coverage for vehicles-for-hire. This includes personal vehicles used for pizza delivery, newspaper delivery, and transporting people for payment, whether payment is immediate or a week later through a third party.

Many people in the States are driving on their personal policy not realizing they are committing insurance fraud by not letting their insurance company know they are driving on the Uber app. Should they need to file an Uber-related claim, their insurance could be cancelled with their name blacklisted for reference to other
    insurance companies. :(

Huberis and chi1cabby like this.
  17. Micmac

Micmac

Try Geico they have insurance for uber and left you can go to geico.com and get a quote.

18. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    Allstate is their parent company just needed to correct myself.

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  19. UberNorthStar

UberNorthStar

Driving:
    UberX
    Mom,

You are not an employee of Uber. You are an independent contractor. UBER is your vendor to whom you pay for the use of their technology.

Think about this. YOU are the driver. If, Good forbid, you are involved in an accident and someone wants to sue, they will come after you first and sure for everything you own. Is driving on the Uber app really worth the stress?

JM2¢W

20. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    Wrong, they would have to go after the insurance that is active at the time, if no insurance is active then they would go after the driver.

Insurance companies have much deeper pockets, people know this.