• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Its just not worth it

joffie

Well, after over a year of driving and owing the tax office around $3K ($2100 income tax 2016 + $995 Q4 GST + PAYG Income tax installment) I have decided that UBER driving is just not worth it in 2017.

You actually end up losing lots of what you earn, and even though we get GST credits, after all the other expenses followed by the incredibly low rates it is just not a long term gig.

Unfortunally I cannot just rely on surges these days as everywhere has become saturated and places like South Yarra is now just filled with low rated idiots going 1KM despite trying to wait for a decent surge job.

I will still drive for a little bit but not as much as last year. I am focusing my energy in getting a proper job in Logistics.

TBH the gig has been fun however my poor car is starting to smell like a tip, and all the KM's have all added up over the last 12+ months.

Note, I was never driving full time just part time but most Sat nights and some Monday mornings ect ect.

If Uber ever raised the rates to an acceptable level ie $1.50 then it would be better however its just garbage.

Ubernaut10

Well, after over a year of driving and owing the tax office around $3K ($2100 income tax 2016 + $995 Q4 GST + PAYG Income tax installment) I have decided that UBER driving is just not worth it in 2017.

You actually end up losing lots of what you earn, and even though we get GST credits, after all the other expenses followed by the incredibly low rates it is just not a long term gig.

Unfortunally I cannot just rely on surges these days as everywhere has become saturated and places like South Yarra is now just filled with low rated idiots going 1KM despite trying to wait for a decent surge job.

I will still drive for a little bit but not as much as last year. I am focusing my energy in getting a proper job in Logistics.

TBH the gig has been fun however my poor car is starting to smell like a tip, and all the KM's have all added up over the last 12+ months.

Note, I was never driving full time just part time but most Sat nights and some Monday mornings ect ect.

If Uber ever raised the rates to an acceptable level ie $1.50 then it would be better however its just garbage.
Yep.

If you business planned it at $1.50..it just doesn't work at $1..
All you say is correct.
You just understand better than most drivers
$200 is NOT $200...

Good luck...
See what the future brings..

And when it surges nuts , and you feel like it, ...
Have fun and grab some decent coin.
.$2+ per k.

See you during red?

everythingsuber

Hopefully you keep posting here on a regular basis.

Footscrazy

Tend to agree. After doing my Q4 BAS I calculated my hourly rate (less GST and car costs but not incl depreciation) for the same timeframe. It was well north of min wage but well short of what I charge per hr as a freelancer in another gig. But that's not including depreciation as I said, I drove 5000km last quarter. And it's only going to get worse, not better, as more ants onboard and govt introduces more costs for us to stay in business.

Infrequent

Agree. But if it goes up to $1.50 the place will be crawling with termites! It's a no-win situation.

x'ing

You've summed it up perfectly.

I first joined in December 2 years ago and I pretty much drove every second day after coming home from my main job. However, after 2 quarters of gst and then an income tax bill - it was just not worth it. FUN gig but the taxes kill you (if you play by the rules that is) .

offline4SURGE

Agree. But if it goes up to $1.50 the place will be crawling with termites! It's a no-win situation.
Wrong, we are talking about conditions, decent pax are ready to pay that price, it'll weed out the cheapskates, may be less Surge but overall bring in more jobs as service would improve bringing better drivers.

Good drivers don't drive because of nano peanuts on offer at the moments, I don't want en route stacked pings after pings as train, bus catchers ruin my car with filth and don't even give you chance to empty your bladder properly, no matter what, there'll be massive number of drivers even if you slash the rates by half, or increase it by 50%.
Mostly, uber game is run by surge lollipop making your phone screen go red, if rates are 50% more, that'll make it less attractive to come out and have your chances driving, while if it reduces the rates by another $0.20, it'll probably go brown colour surge screen but cheapos still wait to thin out, leaving rotten bitter peanuts in your pockets.

Qantas B

Uber is total joke! If you aim to drive for NO profit than Uber is totally worth it and Uber will happily screw its drivers.

Studies have shown any rate less than the yellow taxi rate will NOT operate to profit but will operate to loss.

PWC

Erc

Studies have shown any rate less than the yellow taxi rate will NOT operate to profit but will operate to loss.

PWC
Please reference your source.

I'm making a profit off Uber-ing because I've found a way to make it work for me.

Erc

You live near tulla somewhere and uber in and out from the city to/from work don't you?

Probably perfect location and times to uber..
they do exactly that but in reverse so got it made
Yup. Live in the CBD opposite QT and work by the Airport. I set destination going to and from work and making minimum $350-$400 a week from just that. Pays for my CityLink for me too! :wink:

Graham J

Good for you Joffie and your reasons are succinct and to the point for taking this action. I'm probably not too far behind because the last couple of months I've just been tinkering with Uber driving because I found it very depressing to head out and do a 6 - 8 hour shift to put a few lousy bucks in your pocket and to watch my car slowly falling to pieces. Stay on the forum because your (you're) insights are valuable.

As for Uber! Bloody words fail me where they prefer to see quality like you be replaced with 5 pieces of riff-raff who will cut each others throats and hide from the tax man just to survive. This gig economy has got whiskers all over it!

Slixx

Yup me too. Been driving 1.5years 35-40hrs a week. Never got to retain my 20% commission and got relegated to 25% without any explaination. Neither help desk nor Cremorne would explain it nor fix it

I understand the statement that "uber isn't a job" I never thought it be a career, but thought it was a good way to keep bills paid while I worked out my next step in life

Even if I only worked for surge, these days it's so hit and miss, I'd earn less than just taking whatever I can to makes ends meet. Definitely ready to move on and maybe just do it part time or weekends

Avago

Uber at $1.00 km is ridiculous, and I'm guessing, most pax would pay the $1.45/km as they do in Sydney without too much hesitation.
Or the cheapskates as already stated would go back to walking to the station.
As a regular part time driver in Sydney, my last full financial year ended up at an average of $2k pm but in all of that, there was less than $1k of surge, but overall, I'm happier with always getting a reasonable return than chasing the surge unicorn.
Uber Melb, and Bris should definitely adjust the rates to genuinely represent the cost of supplying the service, and $1 km does not meet this measure.

Drive safely.

Ubernaut10

Uber at $1.00 km is ridiculous, and I'm guessing, most pax would pay the $1.45/km as they do in Sydney without too much hesitation.
Or the cheapskates as already stated would go back to walking to the station.
As a regular part time driver in Sydney, my last full financial year ended up at an average of $2k pm but in all of that, there was less than $1k of surge, but overall, I'm happier with always getting a reasonable return than chasing the surge unicorn.
Uber Melb, and Bris should definitely adjust the rates to genuinely represent the cost of supplying the service, and $1 km does not meet this measure.

Drive safely.
How stupid is the pricing?
I dare uber to set Sydney at $1.00..
Its not 1987... when Sydney was way bigger than Melbourne,and way more expensive.
Its 2017... in a few years time, Melbourne will be Australia's largest town.

...sorry,gotta go ...
5 minutes up.

CANCEL.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Benjamin M Advice 12
J Washington DC 8
T Melbourne 15