it's insane that uber doesn't show drivers the rider's desired destination

Yomann

I had that exact situation today.
Got a ping from 10 minutes away at 3.30pm.
Called and asked pax if 10 minute wait time is acceptable - it was.
Asked for destination and he mentioned a place 45 minutes away one way.
Told him I was very sorry, but I have a dental appointment at 5pm.
He blurted that he works for Uber, and I am not supposed to call and ask for his destination.
Told him I have a life, and I am available for a shorter ride, but will not miss my dental appointment.
He asked me to cancel, which I did and immediately went offline.
I get why Uber hides the destination, to prevent cherry picking and rejecting short rides, but the least they can do it to let us know if the ride is greater than 30/60 minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is set up in such a way that it benefits passengers (because they're more likely to get taken promptly to their destination if we don't have the option to refuse based upon location), which benefits uber because they make more money from more fares/unit time, while drivers are left holding the shit end of the stick, not knowing where they'll be taking this person and if it's worth their time.

Is there a cap on miles that Uber will send it's drivers or is it limitless? Is there a possibility that a driver from the Bay Area could be sent outside of it, if a rider requests it?

Last Friday, I drove a pax 51 miles one way from SJC to Oakland, it was painful to drive back encountering commuter traffic. The farthest I had to drive from San Jose is S.F. It seems once I drop off someone at SFO I somehow simultaneously pick up riders headed into the city where I spend my time responding to subsequent calls. I now know if I do not want to get trapped in San Francisco, to quickly go offline once I reach the airport, though Uber sometimes will ping me while I am still enroute.

I am not saying I would not be willing to drive a pax if they needed a long distance ride but, I would appreciate a heads up from the Uber coordinators, with the option to pass, if I had a time constraint..

LadyDi

I was on the highway and had a 25 min away ping. I called the client and asked if they knew it would take me this long to arrive. They said it was ok. The dropoff was 7 mins from where I picked them up. UGGGH. But... I keep getting hits once in the area so it worked out... that night.

Santa

You guys are picking away riders who are more than 5 minutes away????!!!!!! Come on people. Some areas are OK to go as far as 10 minutes but those areas need to be residential, with no markets/mall or entertainment areas near by. Most customers either go to these areas or work.

I don't pick up anybody who is more than 2 km not miles away. That's usually 5 minutes away.

Babs

You guys are picking away riders who are more than 5 minutes away????!!!!!! Come on people. Some areas are OK to go as far as 10 minutes but those areas need to be residential, with no markets/mall or entertainment areas near by. Most customers either go to these areas or work.

I don't pick up anybody who is more than 2 km not miles away. That's usually 5 minutes away.

Santa

It would've been nice to do that but no. I let it time out and go offline for a few minutes so i don't get the same ping again.