"It's go time"

Benjamin M

I was talking with a pax yesterday about an incident that happened a few months ago. Let's just say that he was "street smart," tough neighborhood but he was great. After I told him the story, he said exactly the words that came to my mind - "bro, it was about to be 'go time'".

It was around midnight in a tough part of Richmond. I wasn't very familiar with the area, pax had a decent rating.

I noticed during the trip that he was getting amped up as we got closer to the destination. He didn't speak the whole time. His body language raised the alarm, I'm coming from a career where I learned to read it well.

It was a short trip, the destination was a dark lot. He scanned the area, leaning forward towards me, and was fidgeting. He was clearly looking to see if anyone was around. Then he saw the camera.

He mumbled something and finally got out, about three minutes after we stopped. It was about to be go time, I was ready.

My pax are paranoid after the abduction and murder all over the news (even though it sounds like the victim simply jumped into a random car), what about us?

Place yourself in that situation and let's say that he actually started something. What is your plan? Consider it.

Uber Crack

Author
That must've been a tad frightening. I started to type that I've only been spooked twice but as I typed that number went up and up as I thought of more! Some silly some a bit more sketch but all okay in the end. That's the chance you take being a driver, especially a late night driver.

All you can do is be very, very alert at all times. Think positive thoughts and have a very calm vibe in the car. Never ever get confrontational. There's a much higher chance of being in a car accident than another incident so pay attention when driving. That's my plan :smiles:

FLKeys

Sounds like you are carrying a gun...
Post automatically merged:

I just rely on the Destiny. His Majesty The Chance.
Situational Awareness is Key it buys you time, time buys you options. Every person has their own physical capabilities and their own environment they have created. No one plan is universal. Have a plan, an know it.

I have a 1500 lumen strobe light that will temporarily blind/disorient someone even during the day.

FLKeys

All plans go to shit once the shit hits the fan. That is just how it works...
Plans only go to shit if they are just plans. Training goes a long way to properly execute plans. Have a plan and practice it often execute different scenarios. Have a family member sit directly behind you and attack you, see if your plan works, adjust as needed. Learn to deflect, learn to dominate, have the surviving attitude. Learn voice judo, learn to deescalate situations, learn when to comply and not fight. This is not just for driving, this is for everyday life.

I was fortunate to learn life security at 18 when I just got out of high school, took it serious and have built on it all my life. It is not just about physical abilities it is more a mind set than anything.

Taksomotor

Absolutely most people will never learn life security and will get to live until non-aggression related death. Practicing an attack response on your relatives is just paranoyed.

FLKeys

Absolutely most people will never learn life security and will get to live until non-aggression related death. Practicing an attack response on your relatives is just paranoyed.
Difference between paranoid and prepared.
Does your house have smoke detectors and/or fire extinguisher? Most people will never have a house fire.

Life is great, we all have our own levels of comfort, mind sets and freedom of choice. There really is no wrong or right answer that fits everyone.

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All plans go to shit once the shit hits the fan. That is just how it works...
This is true, however being somewhat prepared mentally for a bad situation can make a huge difference.

Late night in the hood is a no, no. At least for me it is.
Absolutely. I was brand spanking new to living here, didn't realize where I was. Now I know to avoid that area.

Seamus

I was talking with a pax yesterday about an incident that happened a few months ago. Let's just say that he was "street smart," tough neighborhood but he was great. After I told him the story, he said exactly the words that came to my mind - "bro, it was about to be 'go time'".

It was around midnight in a tough part of Richmond. I wasn't very familiar with the area, pax had a decent rating.

I noticed during the trip that he was getting amped up as we got closer to the destination. He didn't speak the whole time. His body language raised the alarm, I'm coming from a career where I learned to read it well.

It was a short trip, the destination was a dark lot. He scanned the area, leaning forward towards me, and was fidgeting. He was clearly looking to see if anyone was around. Then he saw the camera.

He mumbled something and finally got out, about three minutes after we stopped. It was about to be go time, I was ready.

My pax are paranoid after the abduction and murder all over the news (even though it sounds like the victim simply jumped into a random car), what about us?

Place yourself in that situation and let's say that he actually started something. What is your plan? Consider it.
Once I was chasing a stupid $100 Lyft bonus and needed 4 more rides by midnight the last day. Of course Lyft sent me every garbage ride they could find to deny me the bonus. With 35 minutes to go I figured no more rides were coming. Then got pinged to the most dangerous area of a high crime city. For the sake of a lousy $100 I took it and they were 3 serious gang bangers wearing colors. Stupidly took the ride instead of giving up the bonus. A 2 stop trip to East Harlem. These guys were the real deal and I was very nervous. It was just before Christmas so I was wearing a Santa hat which they liked. Just kept cracking jokes and making them laugh. After the second stop in the Bronx one of them asked what I thought they were doing. I said I don't have any idea but I'll assume you are taking up a collection for Christmas gifts for under privileged children. They thought it was funny. Stupid dangerous situation I put myself in for a Lyft bonus.

RideshareUSA

If you can, drive daytime hours only. Works great for me!

Benjamin M

If you can, drive daytime hours only. Works great for me!
Daytime hours are dead here. I have a hard cut off of 11:30 pm, largely because of that particular incident.

Not worth it getting yourself into a precarious situation. Stay away from those areas. I don't bar pickups either. Safety first.
Bars are my bread and butter. Fortunately, most of the ones in my immediate area are upscale and the pax are rarely an issue.

Had a 14 mile ride from one of the local ones to a nice neighborhood, $5 tip and had a few great fares down in that area.

RideshareUSA

Daytime hours are dead here. I have a hard cut off of 11:30 pm, largely because of that particular incident.
My definition of daytime hours are:
4:30am - 5pm
If you are in a major market, it will pay off with proper strategy and positioning.
Getting accustomed to the hours is another story!

Taksomotor

I went chasing a bonus from Lyft driving 12am - 2am on Fri and Sat night. Got the bonus. Every single pax was drunk. But none were really bad. But I didn't like going to bed so late. I prefer early to bed and early to rise...

Benjamin M

My definition of daytime hours are:
4:30am - 5pm
If you are in a major market, it will pay off with proper strategy and positioning.
Getting accustomed to the hours is another story!
Trust me, doesn't really fly here. 5 pm is generally when the stacked pings begin. I have started around 11 pm a couple of times, rides were like 20 minutes apart and lousy.

Also, I'm a hopeless insomniac at this point of my life. 24 hour shifts destroyed any normal sleep pattern, I went to sleep at 6 in the morning today.

RideshareUSA

Trust me, doesn't really fly here. 5 pm is generally when the stacked pings begin. I have started around 11 pm a couple of times, rides were like 20 minutes apart and lousy.

Also, I'm a hopeless insomniac at this point of my life. 24 hour shifts destroyed any normal sleep pattern, I went to sleep at 6 in the morning today.
Sooooo.... like....ummm...no airport where you live? Hotels?