• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

It's confirmed Amazon takes 30% of you tips. Here is how we know.

Transporter316

Here was the first sign that we knew Amazon took some of our tips they don't give you a detail of what the customer has tipped you out like doordash. The second sign was that Amazon tells customers to tip in the app instead of giving them the option to tip in cash. So how did we find out? We have asked each customer on our route, "How much should you tip?" And when the total comes out in 2 days we saw a difference from what was paid out. You can do the same and then you can see the Amazon steals your tips! Tell customers to tip in cash.

rozz

We need more evidence than this. So you mean you asked each and every customer how much they tipped? Could very well be they lied. I'm not saying you're wrong as I've seen a lot of zero tips for one hour orders.

Wasn't this confirmed a along time ago. A Driver in SF,CA got a 1Hr block and then ended up with a package going to their friends . they took photos and and very thing but they never received that tip.....I believe that how the was...:confused:

dkcs

With the new instant offers they are broken out by delivery so you can go back and ask the customer why they stiffed you or thank them for the great tip.

soupergloo

hahaha I’m not going to ask each & every customer if/how much they tipped, some people might be really offended by it.

I tested it when my bf delivered an order I placed for a 2-hour route, and they passed the whole tip along back then, but that was nearly a year ago.

another driver at my warehouse said he placed a 1-hour order, tipped $5, driver said he didn’t receive it, emailed Amazon and then had a tip adjustment for the next pay statement.

they’re not allowed to make our tips part of our hourly wage in California, so stealing tips would be a huge lawsuit

rozz

I just find it very odd that very decent and seemingly kind people I deliver to don't tip for 1 hours. Perhaps they put 1 hour tips towards the block that the order was placed in or delivered in which makes it hard to pinpoint.

soupergloo

I just find it very odd that very decent and seemingly kind people I deliver to don't tip for 1 hours. Perhaps they put 1 hour tips towards the block that the order was placed in or delivered in which makes it hard to pinpoint.
I agree with this .. I went from either making $5 or being stiffed completely on 1-hours, and to all of the sudden everyone making $1 exactly on every 1-hour. seems shady

Transporter316

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We need more evidence than this. So you mean you asked each and every customer how much they tipped? Could very well be they lied. I'm not saying you're wrong as I've seen a lot of zero tips for one hour orders.

3 of us did this on a 4 hour shift, a customer has no reason to lie, sounds like you are trying to defend Amazon!! You need to prove they don't steal tips, not the other way around, what a shady company!

They don't steal the whole tip, just a percentage. Their are cases were customers wanted to tip they just closed out the ap to quick.

These F@$& Gig economies companies...
Get away with it because... you're not an actual employee.

Agreed!!

dkcs

hahaha I’m not going to ask each & every customer if/how much they tipped, some people might be really offended by it.

I tested it when my bf delivered an order I placed for a 2-hour route, and they passed the whole tip along back then, but that was nearly a year ago.

another driver at my warehouse said he placed a 1-hour order, tipped $5, driver said he didn’t receive it, emailed Amazon and then had a tip adjustment for the next pay statement.

they’re not allowed to make our tips part of our hourly wage in California, so stealing tips would be a huge lawsuit
On the one instant order I delivered the other night I ended up with no tip. $8 to deliver 6 pizza's on an $80 order to a million dollar beach home and not a penny. I find that hard to believe. Pizza's were fresh, delivered early and stored in a pizza bag for the 5 minute drive from the restaurant.

I've seen a marked decrease in my tip amounts from 6 months ago. I believe Amazon is now allocating tips in California and are taking the position that the California law does not apply to us because we not are employees.

Last edited:

kmatt

They take $3 of our tips per half hour. If we receive tips on a 2 hour Prime now block, Amazon takes the first $12 of tips and we get the rest. I proved this awhile ago. I wanted to prove my theory as I was on an 830-10 block. It was slow and I had no orders so I decided to place a one hour order as a customer myself as I knew I would be the next driver to deliver this one hour to my house. I "tipped" myself what I thought was $12.27 but Amazon only gave me a $3.27 tip. If they weren't taking $3 per half hour of our tips then I should have been paid $27+12.27tip=$39.27 for the block. Instead I was paid $27+3.27tip=$30.27?!?
See the $9 difference? That's Amazon's cut. Mafia style

Attachments

Hambone

We already know amazon has a set amount they will pay for that shift. If the amount they set for that shift is less than the "Guaranteed" amount they will cover tips until you reach the threshold and you will get the extra. If the "Guaranteed" amount is already set at $18, you will get all the tips on top of that and you will not notice. It all depends on what that amount is set before the shift and we will never know since Amazon will never tell us.

soupergloo

I've seen a marked decrease in my tip amounts from 6 months ago. I believe Amazon is now allocating tips in California and are taking the position that the California law does not apply to us because we are employees.
I’d love to test it again, especially for 1-hours, but my address is outside of their delivery region for one hour deliveries.

Flexist

They take $3 of our tips per half hour. If we receive tips on a 2 hour Prime now block, Amazon takes the first $12 of tips and we get the rest. I proved this awhile ago. I wanted to prove my theory as I was on an 830-10 block. It was slow and I had no orders so I decided to place a one hour order as a customer myself as I knew I would be the next driver to deliver this one hour to my house. I "tipped" myself what I thought was $12.27 but Amazon only gave me a $3.27 tip. If they weren't taking $3 per half hour of our tips then I should have been paid $27+12.27tip=$39.27 for the block. Instead I was paid $27+3.27tip=$30.27?!?
See the $9 difference? That's Amazon's cut. Mafia style
Wow.

I am sure a good attorney company would be more than happy to jump on that class action lawsuit.

rozz

Rozz is not a defender of Amazon. What I'm saying is more testing needs to be done. Customers are not a good source of data as they will not respond IN EARNEST to questions asking HOW MUCH THEY TIPPED. I would be offended as hell if asked that and would go back in the app to TAKE THAT TIP AWAY.

grams777

Author
It’s been discussed a lot elesewhere but the bottom line is that each market and each block has a variable base amount. This can be equal to or less than the hourly guarantee amount. Tips are then added to this variable base. If the variable base was less than the hourly rate, your tips start to get applied toward the hourly minimum.

Some markets and blocks may have the base equal to the hourly rate. This means you get all your tips. In my case, when this started it equated to about a $13 base per hour. Then the first $5 per hour of tips got applied toward the $18 (or taken away basically).

Before all this started, my one hour, one delivery blocks were almost always $23. After it, they all went to down to $18. One time I saw one for $19.

The rest of my blocks similarly went down about $5 per hour or about $200 per week.

Some states and areas and times can be different. So some people’s experience does not mean it is the same company wide.

Amazon flat out refuses to give the actual amounts. But they will reply with an email about how they used to do it is different because now there is a variable base component. You just won’t know what it is.

Try asking them sometime exactly how much your tips were for a block, day, week, or anything. They’ll refuse on a so-called privacy concern.

Lyft used to do this with their hourly guarantees also (except they did disclose the tip amounts). They recently just changed it though to give you your tips on top of the hourly guarantees.

It’s not likely to change for the better at Amazon. Their delivery costs are always under pressure for this segment of their business. There’s not much, if any profit here for Amazon like there is with their web services.

Last edited:

kmatt

That is the exact opposite of what Amazon states. At least for my market.

Has Amazon disclosed that they do skim tips in any market?
It's true that technically we get all of our tips from customers. What is also true is Amazon can lower their base pay to us anyway they want as long as we are getting at least $18/hr. Amazon basically pays $12/hr base out of their pocket to drivers. Hell of a deal for them and still not a bad deal for us when we have a lot of stops and make good tips.

grams777

Author
That is the exact opposite of what Amazon states. At least for my market.

Has Amazon disclosed that they do skim tips in any market?
It’s a word game. You do get all of your tips. What they don’t tell you is how much they lowered the base pay to which they add all of your tips.

It’s a similar thing with restaurant hosts etc. They get around $3 per hour base pay plus their tips with a minimum wage hourly guarantee.

Flexist

The way the estimated block earnings are presented, every reasonable person understands that as $18/hour being the base pay.

"Varying the base pay" is just a weak gimmicky justification for stealing tips.

I did not think Amazon was actually doing this until I saw the screenshots posted by the guy above.

What a shady scummy company.