It's been a long time

Mjbfan79

I have not drove for uber or lyft in almost a year. I seee uber has tipping now how is that working an I see now you can cash out with lyft after you've made five dollars anything else new?

karachi

Yeah, 2 million more Uber drivers on the road. Oh, and hardly anyone uses the tipping option. And Uber has all but killed the surges. They are more like Pink Unicorns in that sometimes you catch a glimpse and POOF!! just like that they vanish!!!

Last edited:

WestSubDriver

Oh man, have you missed alot with Uber. And, as you can probably imagine, it is not for the better.

In app tipping is probably the "biggest" thing they've done for drivers. But, you know Uber riders. In app tipping has not increased their propensity to tip. Just means it has suppressed cash tips and now in app tipping will be reported as income.

The most egregious? The enshrinement of Upfront Pricing into a new Driver Agreement they rolled out about 4 months ago.

WestSubDriver

Wha is that?

Shortly after Uber pushed Travis out as CEO they announced an initiative called "180 Days of Change" that is supposed to make it better for drivers. Most of it is just tweaking around the edges with the appearance of benefits to drivers but really don't mean that much. No real gives from Uber. Just some changes that provide a little more flexibility. Things like:

- In app tipping
- 6 Destination Filters per day
- Requests for trips expected to take over 45 minutes now have a notice included in the request
- Added the ability for Driver to select/deselect which platforms to receive requests from (X/Select/XL/Delivery) based on your qualifications

One telling thing is that they announced that your acceptance rate will not affect your promotions or account standing. So, they basically admitted they were holding acceptance rate against drivers for promotions. Something they had never publicly stated before.

Uberanović

Shortly after Uber pushed Travis out as CEO they announced an initiative called "180 Days of Change" that is supposed to make it better for drivers. Most of it is just tweaking around the edges with the appearance of benefits to drivers but really don't mean that much. No real gives from Uber. Just some changes that provide a little more flexibility. Things like:

- In app tipping
- 6 Destination Filters per day
- Requests for trips expected to take over 45 minutes now have a notice included in the request
- Added the ability for Driver to select/deselect which platforms to receive requests from (X/Select/XL/Delivery) based on your qualifications

One telling thing is that they announced that your acceptance rate will not affect your promotions or account standing. So, they basically admitted they were holding acceptance rate against drivers for promotions. Something they had never publicly stated before.
Promotions work differently for me , if i do them , they up them , could be me only

Dan Ryan

The Surge Map now looks like a honey comb -- and is much more specific.

You have to zoom in on the honey comb -- to actually see the rate of the surge down to the very block.

Back in the day -- there were those huge zones with the surge throughout.

I think all of Chicagoland was broken up into about 5 zones. The strangest one was the one that ran from Evanston all the way up to the Wisconsin border. If there was a surge in that zone, you could get the surge if you picked up anywhere near the I-94 / Edens - Tollway. Those days are long gone. Now you will see one or two of those honey comb things at random times, literally out in Lake Michigan or specifically on Franklin Street around O'Hare.

It's [almost] funny.

Pchi

It's been spotty at best from Jan on... It started picking up recently and we all hope it becomes a trend...

Mad Medic

Completely opposite for me. On multiple occasions, after completing a weekend incentive, the next weekends quest adds 5 or 10 more trips while cutting the monetary amount in pretty much half. I believe many others are in the same boat
Yep. Same boat. Do the promos and meet their quota for a few weeks and then they require more trips for the same $$$ or make it less $$$$.

Seems like some drivers get penalized for actually achieving quest on a regular basis

The Surge Map now looks like a honey comb -- and is much more specific.

You have to zoom in on the honey comb -- to actually see the rate of the surge down to the very block.

Back in the day -- there were those huge zones with the surge throughout.

I think all of Chicagoland was broken up into about 5 zones. The strangest one was the one that ran from Evanston all the way up to the Wisconsin border. If there was a surge in that zone, you could get the surge if you picked up anywhere near the I-94 / Edens - Tollway. Those days are long gone. Now you will see one or two of those honey comb things at random times, literally out in Lake Michigan or specifically on Franklin Street around O'Hare.

It's [almost] funny.
Im jealous. I never get a surge ping for lake Michigan
I'm still waiting for Uber to tell us where the official pax pick up location is.

Uber X Uber Pool, Uber Eats, Uber Walmart, Uber WAV, Uber Amazon soon.

Can't wait for Uber Water Taxi. I'd actually be happy to accept a long trip for the little Uber pay we get.

Give me Chicago to St. Joseph Michigan. Then pull me further from home with a St. Joe to South Haven short hop. Take that every day with a smile

northsider87

the quest for me was 30/$40 this past weekend. drove mostly on Lyft and only did 12 on Uber. this week's quest is 25/$40. i've had a lot on my plate so i couldn't work. i wonder if they're gonna increase the payout for the weekend.

uber increases the cost of uber x rides for passengers which encourages more to take pool rides. this cuts down on drivers needed. rider can't know if it's a surge driving the price up or not as they do not get notified the surge rate.

the quest has been good enough for many so drivers are accepting more rides at drop off which eliminates those who dead-head back to a busier area after a drop off. they're more interested in that extra $40-70 than a surge that may not even be that much if the ride is short.

let's face it. uber is running the show. you don't think their algorithm is made in a way to not punish you if you try to play the system? i bet their tech/developer team is coming up with covert methods to curb bad driver behavior like canceling/rejecting a ride for a higher surge, or desired pick up.

i know this is long... my bad