• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

It was never supposed to be a full time thing

DRider85

Well I wanna get to the bottom of this. The people that say this sound like they’re giving you an opinion. That’s not what I’m interested in. I want literal facts. Did Uber ever say it’s not supposed to be a full time gig? Again I’m not talking about common sense or your opinion. But I recall Travis saying it’s for both full time and part time. I don’t recall the company saying we don’t suggest this full time.

As a matter of fact, the way the companies operate is in order to get the real bonuses you need to do it not just full time, but FULL FULL time. They rely on full time drivers. So where does it say that you’re not supposed to work full time? Again I am not interested in your opinion or spin. I want to know where it says these things and then I will believe it if you can prove it. I’m not taking sides. But don’t jump on a koolade unless you can provide the facts.

DRider85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never seen them advertise for full time drivers 🤔🤔🤔

No, Uber never said it wasn't supposed to be a full time gig in it's literal sense but this is where common sense is supposed to prevail.
Well they kinda do advertise for full time drivers because when you sign up sometimes you have to drive like a maniac to get the promotions. And if you wanna continually get the promotions you have to drive like crazy. And they always text you non stop multiple times a day to get them.
Post automatically merged:

What they could do is just get rid of the ridiculous promotions. Or the deadline. Because in order to get them you have to be full time. And the company also has forces you to have good ratings. If they didn’t want you to do all those rides they wouldn’t have incentives like Uber gold.

Last edited:

Cdub2k

no 401K, no vacation days, no leave days ,no Overtime Pay, no Holiday pay, no union, no real job security (you can lose your driving privileges in an instant with one false report), and your pay can be zapped in half with one software update

Yep this sounds like a job I wouldn't do "Full Time" unless you are reinventing what a full time job actually means.

everythingsuber

Uber wore a 20 million dollar fine for telling drivers they could earn 100ks per year driving for Uber. Pretty sure that implies it's a full-time job. A career. A Screw college 100ks per year job.

Uber could not survive with part time drivers.

Uber suggests it's a part time gig then suggest only let drivers log in 20 hours per week and watch Dara choke on his scotch.

Uber needs most of its work force driving full time. Part timers are the ones who turn over quickest being the ones who tend have other options.

LoveBC

Early Uber ads claimed $90k per year

Uber in its original incarnation was for livery drivers only.

The side gig narrative was created once rates were slashed to justify the low pay.

The question is why would anyone put their safety in the hands of someone who just views this as beer money.

nonononodrivethru

Uber wore a 20 million dollar fine for telling drivers they could earn 100ks per year driving for Uber. Pretty sure that implies it's a full-time job. A career. A Screw college 100ks per year job.

Uber could not survive with part time drivers.

Uber suggests it's a part time gig then suggest only let drivers log in 20 hours per week and watch Dara choke on his scotch.

Uber needs most of its work force driving full time. Part timers are the ones who turn over quickest being the ones who tend have other options.
Dara drinks wine spritzers.

MiamiKid

Well I wanna get to the bottom of this. The people that say this sound like they’re giving you an opinion. That’s not what I’m interested in. I want literal facts. Did Uber ever say it’s not supposed to be a full time gig? Again I’m not talking about common sense or your opinion. But I recall Travis saying it’s for both full time and part time. I don’t recall the company saying we don’t suggest this full time.

As a matter of fact, the way the companies operate is in order to get the real bonuses you need to do it not just full time, but FULL FULL time. They rely on full time drivers. So where does it say that you’re not supposed to work full time? Again I am not interested in your opinion or spin. I want to know where it says these things and then I will believe it if you can prove it. I’m not taking sides. But don’t jump on a koolade unless you can provide the facts.
Will chime in on this a tad; however, not interested in solving a puzzle, or even presenting an argument. So, not going to counter the other side, or post documentation.

With that being said, I started four years ago and knew, right out of the gate, this job works ONLY as supplemental, part time and/or extra income. Cannot conceive it any other way.

However, do know Uber presents many things to "tee this up" as potential fulltime. These arguments can get extremely emotional; so, totally staying away from it.

From the beginning, just the name, "rideshare" tells me it's supplemental, extra income only. It wouldn't even work, for me, as a real part time job.

"Rideshare", to me, means just that. Sharing vehicle I already own, and am paying for, to earn some extra cash. Most of the television commercials, I saw, several years ago stated earn $300 - 600/week using your own car, in your spare time.

Started in 2014, with a two year old vehicle paid for. Am an investor, with several income streams, and did not need the money to pay, for my car nor any living expenses whatsoever.

The end game was to payoff several mortgages on income property I owned. Therefore, 90%+ of rideshare earnings went for that purpose.

Result: After 2 1/2 years paid off over $100K, in loans, netting a savings of more than $1,000/mo. That's residual income that will last a lifetime. Now it really is strictly "fun money".

But no, can't imagine it would ever work as fulltime. However, totally understand others may view this differently.

Thanks for listening.

MiamiKid

Okay big deal?

As stated at the beginning of my post, do care, at all, about this. And no am not going to post documentation or provide one shred of evidence.

Why? Because, as I stated, merely relating my perspective, on rideshare, and how it works on my end. Totally aware these ads were posted; however, would never believe them nor do I recall seeing them.

So, there's two completely different perspectives, regarding this gig, and am not even going to attempt to solve. My money's made and it's up to Uber, and their drivers, to figure out.

So whatever works, or doesn't, for you is cool. Good luck with whatever you do.
😎

rkozy

The debate will always rage as to whether Uber is a full-time gig, or merely a supplemental source of income.

I guess that's why this "job" is something I don't mind doing, because it can be whatever I choose it to be. My actual W-2 job is working in fleet logistics/re-marketing for a rental car company. During June and July we get very slow, and since my position is on-call, my hours there went from 30 per week down to 15 per week. Because Uber doesn't issue me a weekly schedule, I was able to backfill those lost hours from the rental car company with my earnings from Uber.

Yes. The mileage rates are lousy, and the wear and tear on your vehicle is incalculable. However, I was able to keep all my bills paid during the slow time at my other job. Uber is legitimate income. Not great income, and perhaps not full-time income...but without it, I'd be in the hole.

As with any job, I can choose to walk away when I feel it no longer serves my best interests. I've done that with dozens of jobs in the past, and I will do it with Uber should the facts ever lead me in that direction.

goneubering

The mist successful drivers here seem to be the ones with a real job and then they do rideshare as a side hustle.

dmoney155

I just ignore those people. There will always be shills or total morons around.

It really doesn't make sense. It isn't good part time either when you only get one $3 ride an hour. The same issues at full time also exist at part time.
I'm surprised there are so many who bought their kool aid/ads/marketing. Like seeeeriously.

The mist successful drivers here seem to be the ones with a real job and then they do rideshare as a side hustle.
Yep, thats the magic combo.

rkozy

Ironically, my "real job" isn't even a real job...but it does allow me to earn additional money without beating the Hell out of my own car. If you can find that balance between a W-2 income and revenue from Uber/Lyft, it makes doing this so much easier. Some people insist they can only drive rideshare, and that should be enough. End of story. Unfortunately, that sort of mental inflexibility quite literally drives these people nuts.

Uber should not be regarded as a full-time gig. People who buy into the belief that it is, are walking right into the imperilment of a false assumption.

MiamiKid

The debate will always rage as to whether Uber is a full-time gig, or merely a supplemental source of income.

I guess that's why this "job" is something I don't mind doing, because it can be whatever I choose it to be. My actual W-2 job is working in fleet logistics/re-marketing for a rental car company. During June and July we get very slow, and since my position is on-call, my hours there went from 30 per week down to 15 per week. Because Uber doesn't issue me a weekly schedule, I was able to backfill those lost hours from the rental car company with my earnings from Uber.

Yes. The mileage rates are lousy, and the wear and tear on your vehicle is incalculable. However, I was able to keep all my bills paid during the slow time at my other job. Uber is legitimate income. Not great income, and perhaps not full-time income...but without it, I'd be in the hole.

As with any job, I can choose to walk away when I feel it no longer serves my best interests. I've done that with dozens of jobs in the past, and I will do it with Uber should the facts ever lead me in that direction.
That's spot on the way it works for me. I own/manage two corporations as well as multiple miscellaneous investments.

Even a part time, 10 hour/week job, would not work for me. Need to be able to sign off, and tend to business, on a moment's notice.

We all have our complaints about Uber, myself included. But as a supplemental income vehicle, Uber's as good as it gets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for listening and good luck with everything.
😎

rkozy

We all have our complaints about Uber, myself included. But as a supplemental income vehicle, Uber's as good as it gets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's the fundamental truth about Uber. It's income on your own schedule and your own terms. Don't want to work weekends or evenings? Uber will never make you! Don't want to let that scummy person into your vehicle? Hit "cancel" and move on to the next ping.

There's no job which will allow you to make executive decisions like that. I'm not totally satisfied with Uber's pay rates, but I'm willing to settle for less money if I'm allowed more control in return. That's what I have with Uber...More control over my day.

SFOspeedracer

Will chime in on this a tad; however, not interested in solving a puzzle, or even presenting an argument. So, not going to counter the other side, or post documentation.

With that being said, I started four years ago and knew, right out of the gate, this job works ONLY as supplemental, part time and/or extra income. Cannot conceive it any other way.

However, do know Uber presents many things to "tee this up" as potential fulltime. These arguments can get extremely emotional; so, totally staying away from it.

From the beginning, just the name, "rideshare" tells me it's supplemental, extra income only. It wouldn't even work, for me, as a real part time job.

"Rideshare", to me, means just that. Sharing vehicle I already own, and am paying for, to earn some extra cash. Most of the television commercials, I saw, several years ago stated earn $300 - 600/week using your own car, in your spare time.

Started in 2014, with a two year old vehicle paid for. Am an investor, with several income streams, and did not need the money to pay, for my car nor any living expenses whatsoever.

The end game was to payoff several mortgages on income property I owned. Therefore, 90%+ of rideshare earnings went for that purpose.

Result: After 2 1/2 years paid off over $100K, in loans, netting a savings of more than $1,000/mo. That's residual income that will last a lifetime. Now it really is strictly "fun money".

But no, can't imagine it would ever work as fulltime. However, totally understand others may view this differently.

Thanks for listening.
Similar ballpark here, nonetheless .. well stated