It happened again today: The groceries

Tars Tarkas

Pull up to Walmart picking up "Narwhal" or something. Oh, she's hiding behind a pilar until I get in close. Why? Goddamn cart full of bags, cases of water . . . but at least no drooling infant, so that's a plus.

When I first started Uber I'd have thought "Oh, this poor woman needs help carrying her 15 or so bags of groceries and a couple cases of water home. I'm here to help! It's only polite."

Now, it's "Shit! She's seen me! I have to cancel in front of her face or do this ride."

That's what public service does to me (if that's what I'm doing).

I did the ride. Her crap kind of filled up the whole cargo area. She'd also brought home a bag full of McDonald's "food," and the stench fille the air. I helped her but adopted an attitude of, "Well, this stinks, lady." Didn't produce a tip for some reason. But had I been Dudley Do-Right, I'd not have gotten a tip, either. I know these kinds of people.

UberPotomac

I don't Hate anybody.For me is a bussines decision.
5 min to arrive 3 min loading 5 min trip 3 min unloading for may be $5.Sorry I pass.

If you carry a couple of bags or luggage with you is fine but cart with groceries NONO.
Specially people go to their closest store means SHORT TRIP.
Nothing personal, I just choose to wait for other pax.

Bmore Driver

I had one good experience with a shopper. Mid 40 something woman. Her car got destroyed by a hit and run. She was a little bruised still and showed pics of her car. She was appreciative and gave a 5 dollar tip after a 12 dollar ride. Sometimes we just have to put the sword away, but keep it at the ready.

xjguarx

You are doing it wrong! When you accept a grocery trip, ALWAYS go to the back of the building ( truck's loading and unloading area) do not answer phone or simple make it go straight to voicemail.

When picking from an apartment complex always park in the far away section, and in between those cars (if they are trucks or vans that's even better) get out of the car and TAKE the phone with you (if you leave it, he/she can locate your position) walk around the property and return after 5 minutes to cash the cancellation fee)

Aztek98

You have to become an expert at the "distracted roll by". Look rapidly all around and roll by then hit cancel. That is unless you parked strategically out of their line of site to catch a few.

I do the roll by if the amount of items is huge or if there are kids involved.

I do identify if there are groceries involved because a lot of grocery store employees need rides and I don't like to hit a min wage working stiff with a cancel fee.

New2This

I don't Hate anybody.For me is a bussines decision.
5 min to arrive 3 min loading 5 min trip 3 min unloading for may be $5.Sorry I pass.

If you carry a couple of bags or luggage with you is fine but cart with groceries NONO.
Specially people go to their closest store means SHORT TRIP.
Nothing personal, I just choose to wait for other pax.

There's very little I agree with you on but this you are 100% spot on

NHDriver

I cancel "do not charge rider", now there is not record of it, when I see the address is a grocery store, wallmart, lowes or home depot. nothing good can come from that ride. to earlier post, almost always a minimum fare ride with no tip. no thank you. i am only driving nights now, back to work full time in corporate america. Nights = few grocery store, home depot, lowes. wallmart. baby mamas with no car seats, teen requests etc. mostly home from work, out for the night, back home after a night out. so much less stress. would rather deal with drunks than min fare grocery store type pick ups.

DCNewbie17

Maybe I'm lucky but my grocery store pickups have all tipped. I picked up a family of 4 on Sunday who were late for a flight (DCA). Got them there ahead of GPS with enough time (barely) to check in. Lots of compliments and thank yous. No tip.

I don't really expect tips and look at them as nice surprises when they come. I bought into the "no tipping" thing with Uber. Thought drivers were paid 80-90% of the fare. I liked Lyft because it was encouraged and I could tip on the app. I try to remember that now as a driver.

lcc421110

You are doing it wrong! When you accept a grocery trip, ALWAYS go to the back of the building ( truck's loading and unloading area) do not answer phone or simple make it go straight to voicemail.

When picking from an apartment complex always park in the far away section, and in between those cars (if they are trucks or vans that's even better) get out of the car and TAKE the phone with you (if you leave it, he/she can locate your position) walk around the property and return after 5 minutes to cash the cancellation fee)
take a break and get $3.75 gas

Tars Tarkas

Maybe I'm lucky but my grocery store pickups have all tipped. I picked up a family of 4 on Sunday who were late for a flight (DCA). Got them there ahead of GPS with enough time (barely) to check in. Lots of compliments and thank yous. No tip.

My record is full of compliments. It's nice but, in the end, doesn't pay
You have to become an expert at the "distracted roll by". Look rapidly all around and roll by then hit cancel. That is unless you parked strategically out of their line of site to catch a few.

I do the roll by if the amount of items is huge or if there are kids involved.

I do identify if there are groceries involved because a lot of grocery store employees need rides and I don't like to hit a min wage working stiff with a cancel fee.

That's perfect and what I needed. I'm basically honest, and when I see them rolling out and obviously have identified me, I cave in. But I could just roll past them at a steady pace, my head on a swivel, look like I'm looking around for them and be careful to never make eye contact with the potential pax, then go around the corner and kind of idle along . . . until the 2 minutes (it's always pool) runs out.

On that subject . . . last spring, when my cancellation rate reached 11%, I got an email that my cancellation rate had "exceeded what's normal in your area." Now, my cancellation rate is 14%, and I've not received an email.

Apparently, the cancellation rate that's normal in my area has gone up quite a bit!

roadman tactics are affecting the norm!

azndriver87

seriousily? if your pick up location is a GROCERY STORE. EXPECT GROCERIES and short trips.
I cancel on any rides that's pick up location is at groceries store

PoolBoy

I don't pick em up anymore at all. I'm far better at hiding than they can ever be. I've done exponentially more trips than they can imagine. I'll even call them and say, "Is that you with all the groceries?"
She'll (its always a huge beast) say, "Where you at?"
Always Pool, so at this point there's only about 20 seconds left. I wait it out and always cancel as No Show.
I'm not a low income transportation provider and they will always low rate you if you don't load their groceries and then carry them to their apt. I've never been tipped by any of them either.

New2This

I'm far better at hiding than they can ever be.

1tzupu.jpg

Disgusted Driver

I only do the local grocery store if I need the trip count or I'm on Select. The select ones are usually business travelers with a bag or two going downtown so I'm good for $10 and the X's are students, short $3.20 rides I can bang out in 4 or 5 minutes and they typically have 3 or 4 bags and are strong enough to handle them themselves.