1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is ubering from home a viable option for anyone?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Mordred, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ANT 7

ANT 7

Driving:
    UberX
    I used to do that, but I started at 400 AM and went right into my car and always got a ping within 30 minutes as I drove across town from my home to my staging area. Stopped doing it though, as the app wouldn't let me make any more money on a daily basis, because I was an eager and early bird. Now I log on at 600 AM, and usually end up with the same amount of money by 600 PM.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    I do check the rider app to see the position of other drivers sometimes I drive to another location if I’m surrounded by other drivers, but that’s not usually the case, usually there is a good portion of the map where I’m the closet driver

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. I do it - log-on at home, that is. I check the rider app to see who else is around, but it's almost meaningless to do that. Uber's algorithm does not always give the trip to the closest driver. I used to leave the house and drive ten minutes up to my honey-hole, only to get a ping that's right back by the house! And sometimes there are closer cars! I don't quite understand how Uber assigns trips, but I repeat that it is *NOT* always to the closest car. At least not in my town (Pensacola, Florida).

The key with being logged-on at home is to be ready to walk out the door as soon as you accept the ping. On cold mornings, I go out and start/warm-up the car so that if I get a ping in my subdivision the rider doesn't have to get into a cold car with fogged-up windows. Then I go back in and pour myself a cup of coffee and relax.

Ms.Doe and Grillmasterp like this.
  4. Correct, be ready to go, rider needs to get somewhere, not wait for you to fluff about at home,

Uber’s algorithm almost never goes to closest car, usually goes to Highest rated first, if you know a prime hotspot, don’t be at front door, it’s too close, the app needs you to be at least 1min away, it will then think you need to drive around the block which could take 6mins, another car could be 3-4mins away. I’ve had This happen to me many times

Rider App can be delayed by quite a few seconds,it also shows cars on trips, it’s not entirely accurate but can be used to know who’s around you when it’s quiet, and if you should move on

5. I always start from home. I get home from my daytime job, take a shower and log on. Sometimes it takes up to an hour for the first ping, depending on what time I get home.

6. I start from home quite a bit but usually the first ride takes me far enough from home that I won’t drive back and waste the dead miles.

7. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    You shower just to drive? I feel much filthier AFTER driving pax holes around.

8. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    I figured this out quickly. The few hotspots in my area are like magnets to other drivers. I sit just outside of them as they sit right at the business. I almost always tend to get the ride request over them.

As far as sitting at home and getting a ping, if the ride is close to me which is rare I use the remote start on my car the get it going and get the A/C running. Those 30 second can make a difference on a close pick-up.

9. It depends on what I am doing during the day. If I turn the app on early enough I can get a ping that's going to cause me to drive 12-15 minutes (I am in a rural area) but it will take me to a busier area.

10. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    The other thing about leaving from home is that I'm worried one of the animals may try to sneak out while I'm going out the door.

I think I've only had the driver app on line once while I've been indoors at home.

11. How do you ever leave the house if you are afraid an animal will try sneak out the door? Do they know your Ubering and only try to sneak out on those occasions?

12. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh gosh, no. They'll try to sneak out any time.

However, it would be more of a hassle if one of them gave it a real good try when I'm focussing on needing to get to a pickup.

13. jack1981

jack1981

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Hope she washes that phone in addition to her hands :)

I strongly ** suspect ** that both Uber and Lyft give less rides to those waiting at home. Definitely cannot prove it.

14. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It's funny because I participated in a food prep safety experiment at a local college and afterwards they told me that they were surprised that I did not play with my phone while I was cooking. Apparently phones are a huge source of contaminants along with keyboards.

15. Fozzie

Fozzie

Driving:
    UberX
    I just moved to a house closer to town, so rather than drive in the morning to look for pings, I drink my coffee, auto start the car to get it nice and warm, and start my Uber and Lyft apps. I don't go anywhere until I get a ping.

Ms.Doe likes this.
  16. I live in your town and do the same - except I have found that going online at 3:45am rather than 3:30 works just as well for getting airport runs, but avoids most of the late drinkers (though I still get a few). If I go online before 3:45, I seem more likely to get a drunk which takes me out of the loop for early airport runs.

17. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I rarely leave home in the morning without a ping first. I live about a mile from the highway and a half dozen hotels, however the first flights out in the morning are at 6, and I'd have to be online about 4:30 or so. I don't mind getting up early, but that's not really worth it, since the airport is out in the country and the miles back will be empty.

Most of the time, I drive until after 8 a.m. and then go offline at home for some breakfast, then back online. After ending a ride, I look for a good place to sit. I have a book or read the Wall Street Journal online. If it is bitter cold and sitting in the car will be uncomfortable, I go to the office where I work part time and sit and read in the lobby.

18. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing!

Hmm... wiping from the back... signifying deuce! Somehow more captivating than had it been from the front...

Cableguynoe likes this.
  19. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    Ill have to try that.. The last 2 days , thats exactly what happened; 3:30 drunks

After you drop your early airport rider; then what? I head south, and if I dont get something on the way, I end up in Naples

20. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Especially for women, there are good reasons to wipe from the back.