1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is ubering from home a viable option for anyone?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Mordred, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Mordred

Mordred

I live close to the busy area of town. Thinking about just turning my app on at home and waiting for rides. Does this work for anyone?

Rakos likes this.
  2. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    That's what I do, at least for the first ride of the day. Subsequently, if I drop off pax within a few miles of home, and I don't get anything within 5 or 10 minutes, I drive home and wait (then Uber sends me a ping just as I'm entering my driveway lol). Just keep your keys next to you, and do something you can drop easily if you accept a ping.

3. TomTheAnt

TomTheAnt

Driving:
    UberX
    Sometimes I do drive a bit more towards downtown or the busy shopping area but usually I turn on the app at home once I’ve got everything ready to go.

4. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    I turn on the app at work when I am ready to leave. Get a ping and go, no ping in 10 minutes I head home.

If I am at home non work days, when ready to go I turn on the app and enjoy my Lazy Boy until I get a ping. On slow nights I can sit online at home for hours without getting a ping. Does not pay to drive around looking for work in my area. If I end up on the other side of town I'll sit at my moms house until I get a ping. No sense in burning gas for hopes of a ride.

5. i live in the suburbs and do this sometimes but if i want to make money i usually have to go fishing for rides by going to a busier area.

UberLyftFlexWhatever likes this.
  6. Like this?

010.gif

7. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I'd love to say that that's never happened to me, but unfortunately I can't.

8. I don't usually ask for likes but that gif wasn't easy ^

9. 105398

I do it all the time from home and my office. Have your stuff ready to go. Only negative is car is cold in winter, but heats up fast.

Rakos likes this.
  10. Mole

Mole

It is how I do it for the most part I would get some long hauls and I would dead mile it home with the app on and see what I hit kinda like a slot machine.

11. theMezz

theMezz

Driving:
    UberX
    I also do that. Within 2-7 minutes away are 3 hospitals three colleges 2 shopping centers and many nice housing developments, so my
    Home is a perfect base of
    Operations

Rakos likes this.
  12. xgamrgeekx

xgamrgeekx

Driving:
    Lyft
    I once logged off to take a pee break in a gas station, imagine my surprise when I heard the ping in my pocket. Accept, flush, and go lol

drunkinUber likes this.
  13. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    I start my day from home... at 3:30 am and almost always get an airport ride....or a left over drunk

14. jhearcht

jhearcht

It works for me. But I'm retired and not trying to make a living on UBER, Just trying to pay for my new car. So, I don't have to aggressively chase rides and promotions.

I live in a small city, in an ideal location midway between a wealthy suburb for pickups and the bar & restaurant districts for dropoffs within a five mile radius. On weeknights there's a lot of downtime between rides though, so I just go home and work on my blog until the next ping. It makes for a relaxed way to make a few bucks while driving about 20 hours a week.

15. It happen to me exactly like that one day, except cancellation: long trip, XL

Cableguynoe and Rakos like this.
  16. Seahawk3

Seahawk3

Driving:
    UberX
    That's all I do watch Netflix and take calls

Cableguynoe likes this.
  17. Yes.
    Depends where you live.

18. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    During the week I only do select so I sit home with the app on select. I'll get 2 or 3 calls during the week that way, quick 30 or 40 bucks and then I'll df my way back on x and Lyft. weekends I run a different strategy.

19. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    No because you are just fighting your neighbor for the same ping while you both couch surf.