Is Uber testing a self-driving auto in Austin?

F-uber

About 11:30 AM this morning at the corner of E Oltorf and S Congress a brown sedan with a round, metal-like object on the roof stopped next to me at the red light. It had Uber Technologies labeled on the side of the car and a hipster looking guy behind the wheel.

satxsatx

Uber is spending $500M for their own mapping system, to escape dependence on Google maps, and to prepare for self-driving vehicles.

F-uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense. The auto I saw didn't have the sensors all over it like the Google self driving car has. I believe you are correct.

Ziggy

About 11:30 AM this morning at the corner of E Oltorf and S Congress a brown sedan with a round, metal-like object on the roof stopped next to me at the red light. It had Uber Technologies labeled on the side of the car and a hipster looking guy behind the wheel.
You didn't try to block him?

Jay Dean

I know they were excited about Uberpool before, I think this is a perfect time for them to UberPool while mapping.

F-uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You didn't try to block him?
Nah. I sent Uber the good vibes of peace, love and understanding as I felt smug and totally convinced that Uber needs no assistance from me on their determined path to self destruction.

I will let France, Mexico, and some of the other countries do the heavy lifting.

Ziggy

I guess it will be Uber's way to get around the fingerprinting ...
Uber: we got no drivers, so no need to fingerprint anyone
City: who's that guy in the driver's seat?
Uber: he's not a driver, he's a monitor; he's just monitoring to make sure the self-driving car is working properly
City: ok ... carry on
Pax to City: hey the guy in the driver's seat of the self-driving Uber car climbed into the back seat while the Uber was driving down the road and assaulted me. I want to press charges on that driver.
City: oh he's not a driver, he's only a monitor ... so we don't know who he is
Uber sweeps the incident under the rug
Pax is traumatized from the incident