Is uber black a good investment?

Hi guys, new member here been driving uberx for about 10months fulltime.

Started out ok then income went down the drain what with too many cars and fare reductions. Also the quality of passengers went down the drain too.

I no longer drive x anymore.

Anyways long story short I jumped over to uberblack and my goodness is their a massive difference! Polite, respectful customers who are a joy to carry around.

Please dont spam me with hate or why dont you read the forums because I already have and found no relevant information pertaining to August 2016.

Me and a mate were actually thinking about buying a 2015 holden caprice and getting the new CVL plates stuck on it.

Do you guys reckon its worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

From the short week that I have driven UberBlack (6 nights) I netted $1200 but hiring a car with a 30/70 split.

So he gets 30% and I get 70%. I pay my own fuel and car is fully maintained by owner.

I was thinking buy my own car, drive night shifts and lease out during the day.

I think uber black is the way to go! Higher pay, very relaxed working conditions, less kms on car and great customers!

This will be my only source of income so I need to make sure I get it right.

UberX is a scam. The biggest scam of our generation. Run around for peanut wages and get treated like a slave.

Last edited:

UberPig

Keep driving and give us the answer when you work it out. :p
Being Aug 2 the most relevant info will prob come from you...:wink:
On a personal note .. I wouldn't invest a cent relying on Uber for support...

Dog

Between us.. If I book black and someone accepts and has a Holden caprice, I cancel.. I think it's insulting that I drive around a car worth more than a caprice and get paid a hell of a lot less. I don't enjoy paying 2.5x or whatever it is to ride in a car that's worth 20-25000

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why mate whats wrong with a top of the line Holden Caprice?

Brand new it costs about 60K. So a 2015 model should cost about 50k. Its a powerful V8 engine, all leather interior, large seats and heaps of leg room, smooth and comfortable to ride. Why do you not like it?

Ofcourse its no Audi A8 but this is the best luxury car that Australia produces and I would even say competes with german quality luxury for a fraction of the price.

Im really confused, whats there not to like about the caprice?

Actually truth be told, you are probably the fourth person I have heard this from. 3 others were passengers that told me they do not appreciate a holden caprice, but why?

Please dont derail the topic UberPig. Your photo is highly inappropriate for this conversation.

On to another topic at hand; how do you guys find the money? I've heard rumours of drivers doing black fulltime and pulling 2.5k net payout from uber. I lack the experience others have here. Please share your thoughts.

Dog

Why mate whats wrong with a top of the line Holden Caprice?

Brand new it costs about 60K. So a 2015 model should cost about 50k. Its a powerful V8 engine, all leather interior, large seats and heaps of leg room, smooth and comfortable to ride. Why do you not like it?

Ofcourse its no Audi A8 but this is the best luxury car that Australia produces and I would even say competes with german quality luxury for a fraction of the price.

Im really confused, whats there not to like about the caprice?

Actually truth be told, you are probably the fourth person I have heard this from. 3 others were passengers that told me they do not appreciate a holden caprice, but why?
Yeah if someone's picking me up in a 60K car then that's fine, my annoyance is people buying older 20-25k caprices (which is just smart businss) to earn the black rates. I do not enjoy paying 2.5x (or whatever it is) the Uber x rates for a car worth less than mine.

HumungousDill

Anyways long story short I jumped over to uberblack and my goodness is their a massive difference! Polite, respectful customers who are a joy to carry around.
From the short week that I have driven UberBlack (6 nights) I netted $1200.
I think uber black is the way to go!.
I fail to understand why you are asking us Uber X drivers when you are already driving Uber black ?!!! Sounds like you've already answered your question in your post , if not just carry on driving black and you will find out. Failing that search the Uber black posts on this forum.

Grand

Holdencaprice
Is it correct that as an UberBlack you can also pick up UberX?
I read that pax can order black, wait until it is close, cancel, then book X - and as you are closest you get ping.

Yeh mate thats true. I have the option to log on as a black exclusive car or both black and x.

I refuse to pickup cheapskate x passengers in a top of the line lexus.

At 1$ a km they can get picked up in a rickshaw for all I care.

I only have 6nights experience. I would like to know what is the general consensus regarding uberblack?

For me to invest 50k on a car is not a cheap investment.

Uber states for a Holden Caprice to be eligible for uberBlack, it must be 2014 or newer.

joffie

Lets not forget most UberBlack drivers have private bookings off the platform and do UBER between jobs.
Sure the rates are higher however you would get less work.

Dog

Yeh mate thats true. I have the option to log on as a black exclusive car or both black and x.

I refuse to pickup cheapskate x passengers in a top of the line lexus.

At 1$ a km they can get picked up in a rickshaw for all I care.

I only have 6nights experience. I would like to know what is the general consensus regarding uberblack?

For me to invest 50k on a car is not a cheap investment.

Uber states for a Holden Caprice to be eligible for uberBlack, it must be 2014 or newer.
You're a schmuck if you buy a 2014 caprice... From a business point of view, not rider.. You hire a new caprice, buy a 2008 one. You swap the plates, take that caprice into Ubers checks with your plates on, get the account approved and then just use your 2008 caprice, no rider is going to know the difference and you save 30,000 on the cost

Potsy

You've answered your own question. To earn $1200 driving 6 nights once you've accounted for all your expenses you won't have much left out of that.

PerthMickey

Hey HoldenCaprice,

I am an assistant Accountant and I gt registered as an uber driver so that I can work out the costs and claims and tax theory (sorry a bit crazy cause I like to do my research) ,

So far the below is my research in regards to Uber.

1.Uber does not give a crap if you drive an X or Black. - They still make money at your expense.
2. Uber is good only if you have a full time job - If you plan to Drive Uber full time I can bet you taht you will be better off on Centrelink benefits than Uber payments.
3. Uber's concept has always been as a part time option for people who have a full time job ( Side income where both parties benefit).
4. Perth as a general Market is not that great for Uberblack (Considering PAX are either snobby or broke due to the Mining Downturn)
5.The number of ExTaxi drivers driving Uber is Ridiculous - when People work 10 hours and earn $2000 they need to take out the expenses of the petrol+Insurance+Wear and Tear +Water&Mints (If Provided) + Their own value per hour. + Ubers Share of GST payment to ATO.

If I were you I will consider other options for an investment of 50K which will provide you a better return than Uber.

Sorry Not trying to Offend anyone but this is my research.

UberDriverAU

No, UberBlack is not a good investment. It's a very risky proposition because Uber can move the goalposts on you at any time, and they won't let you keep a 2015 Caprice on the Black platform for more than a year or two, because it's a Caprice. When you factor in depreciation, you're probably not going to make much more doing UberBlack compared with UberX. Cash flow is not the same as profit, and I can understand the temptation of buying a car for the higher cash flow, but I can assure you that others have been burnt doing UberBlack. Perhaps Potsy and Silver Cap would care to share their experiences?

Potsy

Hey HoldenCaprice,

I am an assistant Accountant and I gt registered as an uber driver so that I can work out the costs and claims and tax theory (sorry a bit crazy cause I like to do my research) ,

So far the below is my research in regards to Uber.

1.Uber does not give a crap if you drive an X or Black. - They still make money at your expense.
2. Uber is good only if you have a full time job - If you plan to Drive Uber full time I can bet you taht you will be better off on Centrelink benefits than Uber payments.
3. Uber's concept has always been as a part time option for people who have a full time job ( Side income where both parties benefit).
4. Perth as a general Market is not that great for Uberblack (Considering PAX are either snobby or broke due to the Mining Downturn)
5.The number of ExTaxi drivers driving Uber is Ridiculous - when People work 10 hours and earn $2000 they need to take out the expenses of the petrol+Insurance+Wear and Tear +Water&Mints (If Provided) + Their own value per hour. + Ubers Share of GST payment to ATO.

If I were you I will consider other options for an investment of 50K which will provide you a better return than Uber.

Sorry Not trying to Offend anyone but this is my research.
Agree absolutely.....if I had $50,000 to invest their are far better options.

UberDriverAU

Because as a passenger you'd be ok with paying the same rates for a Caprice and a top of the line BMW or Audi? If you're going to pay premium rates, you'd be disappointed if you didn't get a (truly) premium car.

Potsy

Y
No, UberBlack is not a good investment. It's a very risky proposition because Uber can move the goalposts on you at any time, and they won't let you keep a 2015 Caprice on the Black platform for more than a year or two, because it's a Caprice. When you factor in depreciation, you're probably not going to make much more doing UberBlack compared with UberX. Cash flow is not the same as profit, and I can understand the temptation of buying a car for the higher cash flow, but I can assure you that others have been burnt doing UberBlack. Perhaps Potsy and Silver Cap would care to share their experiences?
Yes, at a moments notice they can decide that perhaps your vehicle is not as good as the rest of the uberblack fleet and drop you down to uberx. At best they will send you a smarmy message saying that Uber always endeavors to provide a quality product and your car no longer reaches the highest standards required for Uberblack.
We therefore wish to offer you a wonderful opportunity to get even more jobs on the uberx platform.
I kid you not.
But also, how much money makes you contented doing this? I for one expect to clear after all expenses, including hidden costs like depreciation, say $200 a day. If I cant get that I won't do it and will go and do something else.