Is Uber a good full time job?

Trouble

So I've been driving for three months now on the weekends and a few times during the week here and there. On the weekends I average $20-30 an hour. Is there anyone in here that drives full time that can tell me if I should quit my $17 an hour job to Uber?

CarterPeerless

I would say right now you are using Uber in the most efficient way. Your profitability would decline if you start adding the less lucrative hours.

It's not a good idea to make life decisions based on this model. The day after you quit your day job, they could lower rates again. Or increase their cut. Or terminate you because some pax makes a false report against you.

Trouble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate my current job though. I'm just wondering if most full time drivers are making $20+ an hour on a 40 hour week.

CarterPeerless

I'm happy to share my data. It's not a perfect match to your question, but close. In July I drove about 20 hours per week, equally spread over 6 days of each week. I grossed about $15/hr.

Extrapolating to 40 hours, I wouldn't expect much more than $15 average because you are going to add a lot of slow hours to get to full time. The 20 hours that I had available in those weeks included several slow hours.

Not perfect data, but after this I will exit the conversation and let the full timers can chime in.

If you like the work, maybe you can go through the process of getting your car fully kitted out as a taxi. I don't know how much work or money that requires, but it would create more opportunities for revenue.

Hey now

I did almost $25 Saturday and $27 on Fri
That's pretty good but remember to factor in expenses (gas, repairs, oil changes, insurance, car washes, etc.) and taxes. The govt wants their share of your untaxed income come next April 16th.

Trouble

I get that. I figure I'm making $17 before taxes,and gas now at my current job so if I can do $20+ with uber full time, I'll be better off. I think lol

Trouble

That's pretty good but remember to factor in expenses (gas, repairs, oil changes, insurance, car washes, etc.) and taxes. The govt wants their share of your untaxed income come next April 16th.
All of that I pay for now anyway. Just looking to see if I can gross $20+ going full time (40 hrs/week)

Trouble

Why don't you take a week off from work and drive full time during that week to see if it woks out. Would suck if you quit and your uber dreams don't come true.
I did that exact thing and averaged $19.50 for that week without factoring in the weekends pay. I'm just wondering how consistent that is amongst other drivers.

Hey now

I did that exact thing and averaged $19.50 for that week without factoring in the weekends pay. I'm just wondering how consistent that is amongst other drivers.
For me it's been hit or miss. Some days I get your numbers others not even close. Today I averaged $8 an hour. But, I only drive 3-6 hours a day.

Mr Magoo

My best average in my short time driving was about $22/hr. My worst was my first day at $12/hr. Running about $18 on average BUT with days like today that is not going to keep up. This work is an eye opener after leaving a job that paid well. I don't honestly see how you make up for a consistent paying full time job with this, if you hate your job, I would Uber and send out those resumes.

Hey now

My best average in my short time driving was about $22/hr. My worst was my first day at $12/hr. Running about $18 on average BUT with days like today that is not going to keep up. This work is an eye opener after leaving a job that paid well. I don't honestly see how you make up for a consistent paying full time job with this, if you hate your job, I would Uber and send out those resumes.
Right on, and you probably received benefits at that full time job. Medical, dental, 401k and paid time off and holidays. Kiss that goodbye.

Mr Magoo

401K with a match. 4 paid weeks vacation. 6 figure income. I am too young to retire, but testing the Uber waters as a bridge to sitting in a barcalounger and ogling my navel. The one thing I can say is it is a lot of fun meeting so many different people, but at the same time it might test my faith in humanity over the long run. Probably just going to polish up the resume and go back into the 8 to 5 rat race.

I have pretty consistently been making 120-150 per day driving for multiple platforms including Amazon Flex and putting in 6-10 hours per day to accomplish those numbers. As a supplement to Social Security it's a pretty good gig but if I needed to support a family it would be difficult.