1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Is this what surge is actually for?

Discussion in 'Charlotte' started by NCHeel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. NCHeel

NCHeel Member

The times of day I drive there is usually no surge pricing going on. Well this morning surges were popping up all over, got 2 trips from Uptown to the airport at 2.*x. The thing I don't understand was I was going offline, driving to the middle of the surge and going online. As soon as I would go online I would get a ping 15 minutes away in a non surge area. I would ignore it. Immediately I would get another ping that was still too far away. App would put me offline. Go back online and immediately ping for a pax across town ignore it and 2 seconds later a pax 2 blocks away.
    I realize that Uber has all this technology to predict future demand and they use surge to herd drivers around town in an attempt to stage cars. I see this all the time at the airport. Surge right beside the airport that magically disappears when you get close and a prompt from the app to head over the the rideshare lot and enter the queue.
    If this is what they use surge for, bait and switch, we as drivers would be better off heading away from surges and waiting for it to grow rather than shrink. It is my understanding that surging is triggered by people opening the ride app to see how long for a driver. I guess they see surge pricing is occurring and wait for it to decrease as drivers arrive in the area. Some get impatient and request a ride at the surge price and some driver gets lucky.
    Am I missing anything?

2. Notnownc

Notnownc Active Member

I have been saying this right along!

3. DollarStoreChauffeur

DollarStoreChauffeur Well-Known Member

Never chase phantom surges. Learn the trends for surge in the city and position yourself accordingly before they start. This is great advice, but for two facts: Charlotte is a fickle and inconsistent city, and surge has all but been done away with due to the saturation of drivers willing to get on the road for base rates.

4. TahoeUber

TahoeUber New Member

We should all be using the rider app and seeing how long for a driver to see how many drivers are nearby!

5. DollarStoreChauffeur

DollarStoreChauffeur Well-Known Member

Try a little experiment. Go ahead and canvass the area using the Epicenter as your center point. I bet virtually everywhere you go 5 miles west, east, and all cardinal points south of Epicenter will be crawling with at least 6-8 ants at any given time of the day.

6. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    ****in ants. I've found beatties Ford/tuckasegee area to be a pretty good spot actually

7. NCHeel

NCHeel Member

It comes with a huge set of risks though.

8. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What risks?

9. NCHeel

NCHeel Member

Being shot for one. Car jacked for another. I get drug over there early mornings if I get pinged while heading from the airport to uptown. #1 comment I hear is can't wait till I save enough money to get out of here.

10. Mike_CDN

Mike_CDN New Member

I have had a similar experience, UB messaged me to head to CLT so I did as I made the turn into the airport and about to turn into the lot, I get a ping for a pickup 19 min away, so I ignored it. Now I'm backed into a spot 8th in the queue, I get another ping, this ones 23 min away. I ignored it too. I believe I did the right thing!