Is this SXSW guarantee even possible?

thinpurr

Link to full guarantee (replace [.] with . and [/] with /)
goo[.]gl[/]5RFRrj
Hi. I'm very new to Uber and was offered this SXSW guarantee with a minimum of 40 hours online. "Must complete 2 trips per hour while online" - This seems almost impossible to reach in such a high capacity, city-wide event such as SXSW.

Is this possible?

Any insight would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Txchick

Link to full guarantee (replace [.] with . and [/] with /)
goo[.]gl[/]5RFRrj
Hi. I'm very new to Uber and was offered this SXSW guarantee with a minimum of 40 hours online. "Must complete 2 trips per hour while online" - This seems almost impossible to reach in such a high capacity, city-wide event such as SXSW.

Is this possible?

Any insight would be much appreciated
Hard to do if you have a full time job outside Uber.

thinpurr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to do if you have a full time job outside Uber.
Thanks for your input. This would be my first guarantee and I just want to make sure I understand. So I'll basically need to give at least 2 rides / hour for at least 40 hours (during the specified time)? Also, what is the opt-in they mention in the posted image?

Thanks for your time :smiles:

Tx rides

Thanks for your input. This would be my first guarantee and I just want to make sure I understand. So I'll basically need to give at least 2 rides / hour for at least 40 hours (during the specified time)? Also, what is the opt-in they mention in the posted image?

Thanks for your time :smiles:
This will be tough at times - trips can be very cyclical. Keep in mind there are shuttles running from hotels to CC, you will perhaps get people who missed shuttles, didn't want to ride, and have no idea how long it REALLY takes to make the conference they just HAVE to be at in 15 minutes :-)
If you are lucky enough to be 'shuttling" then sure (especially if it is raining) but if the weather is nice, you may be getting requests from outside of downtown, and GOOD LUCK doing two of those in an hour.

frndthDuvel

You think it's worth it to even try?
If you are going to drive anyway, you might as well opt in. If you are new I would certainly tend to doing the early hours rather than late. For your sanity and your rating that is part of the criteria. Get out early tomorrow and see what happens. You might be making more than the guarantee. With such a big event going on I can not see any advantage of "gaming" the guarantee. Nor do I really see it possible with the 2 ride per hour criteria. But just get out there and do your best and know you will not make less than 50 bucks minus 2 bucks minus 20%.
A newbie at SWXS, nice. I hope it works out well. Please give us an update.

Tx rides

oh - and the 4.7 rating - wow. Good luck with THAT! I've monitored Twitter/Yelp/Facebook for 3 years as they tore apart shuttle services for delays. Many of the cheapest passengers WILL expect you to know every inch of the city, be able surge past stopped traffic, arrive on time even if it hails, etc.
Interactive crowd can be brutal. Especially the unpaid blogger types. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great visitors, but there are many LOUD - OBNOXIOUS critics, too :-)

thinpurr

If you are lucky enough to be 'shuttling" then sure (especially if it is raining) but if the weather is nice, you may be getting requests from outside of downtown, and GOOD LUCK doing two of those in an hour.
Thank you. So if I don't make 2 rides in 1 hour, will that hour just not count towards my guarantee?

If you are going to drive anyway, you might as well opt in.
Thanks I went to the Hampton Inn today to get activated in person with Uber (I also mentioned the guarantee). It seems that's all that needs to happen to opt in from what I understand. So im hoping I am :smiles:

With such a big event going on I can not see any advantage of "gaming" the guarantee.
Thank you. What are the most common ways drivers game the system? I'm a little worried they may be common things that I might do without knowing. Is this the case?

A newbie at SWXS, nice. I hope it works out well. Please give us an update.
Thank you very much. I'll definitely post an update

be able surge past stopped traffic
Thanks. What do you mean by this exactly?

Make sure you do it or you won't
qualify for guarantees
For sure. I'll take a look around once my activation goes through. Thank you all :smiles:

Edit: BTW, does anyone know how to remove a vehicle from my dashbard? If it matters, i've already added a second

frndthDuvel

Thank you. So if I don't make 2 rides in 1 hour, will that hour just not count towards my guarantee?

Thank you. What are the most common ways drivers game the system? I'm a little worried they may be common things that I might do without knowing. Is this the case?
Well it is more like a figure of speech to most. LOL At least to those who never could figure it out. Mostly it might mean to hope for only short rides and hoping to be in an area of no calls. But with SWXS from what your local folks say, rides should be common. Just do what you are inclined to do. drive as hard as you normally would and when you get those couple of short rides some hours be glad you at least get the guarantee.

thinpurr

hoping to be in an area of no calls. Just do what you are inclined to do. drive as hard as you normally would and when you get those couple of short rides some hours be glad you at least get the guarantee.
Why would it be good to be in an area of no calls (sorry, i'm not yet familiar with the language :p)? By "be glad you at least get the guarantee" are you referring to others not even being offered it or is it guaranteed i'll get the $2000?

DO NOT remove it until your new one is activated ,It'll delay whole process,once new one is good to go then you can delete it.
Ok great. Maybe that's why i'm not seeing a remove option. Because both aren't yet activated.

:rolleyes: Thanks for putting up with such a n00b you all :rolleyes:

frndthDuvel

Why would it be good to be in an area of no calls (sorry, i'm not yet familiar with the language :p)? By "be glad you at least get the guarantee" are you referring to others not even being offered it or is it guaranteed i'll get the $2000?

Ok great. Maybe that's why i'm not seeing a remove option. Because both aren't yet activated.

For some, they would rather try to make that minimum with as few miles on their cars as possible. The requirement of 2 trips per hour, rather than average per hour takes that strategy away. As a new driver I would be excited to be starting with such a big event. You will gain much experience. Get out there and drive as many hours as you can safely and sanely do. My first weekend SD Comic Con. Quite interesting. There were no guarantees and none would have been needed. Of course that was 60% higher rates ago. LOL

arto71

1)You wold not mind get two $4 rides in one hour drive total of 2-3 miles and get paid $50 would you?
2)Or you get four rides in one hour each $8 to $10 drive 15 miles and get paid same $50.

Tx rides

Disclaimer :I don't drive for Uber, I own a limo/sedan company. That aside: do you have cab/limo background in Austin? Bless your heart if you don't , I hope they gave you a local driving mentor. SXSW is a zoo. Locations that aren't on GPS because they are temporary names, street closures, no place to park..... Hardly fair to subject you to rating system. I would never throw a new driver downtown during SXSW

thinpurr

1)You wold not mind get two $4 rides in one hour drive total of 2-3 miles and get paid $50 would you?
2)Or you get four rides in one hour each $8 to $10 drive 15 miles and get paid same $50.
I get what you're saying but if I don't make the 2 rides / hour for 40 hours, I won't get the guarantee. So it seems like I would rather have option 2 if I don't end up making the minimal requirements.

do you have cab/limo background in Austin? Bless your heart if you don't , I hope they gave you a local driving mentor. SXSW is a zoo. Locations that aren't on GPS because they are temporary names, street closures, no place to park..... Hardly fair to subject you to rating system. I would never throw a new driver downtown during SXSW
I don't have professional experience but I was born and raised in Austin so i'm familiar with the craziness of SXSW. Thanks for the info. I'll prepare even more now :smiles:

frndthDuvel

Disclaimer :I don't drive for Uber, I own a limo/sedan company. That aside: do you have cab/limo background in Austin? Bless your heart if you don't , I hope they gave you a local driving mentor. SXSW is a zoo. Locations that aren't on GPS because they are temporary names, street closures, no place to park..... Hardly fair to subject you to rating system. I would never throw a new driver downtown during SXSW
Man, I hate to think that so many SWXS attendees are such total @@@@@@ bags that they are not going to cut a break to a new driver. But like you said, thanks for giving that knowledge to her, better to stay outside the zoo. Chances are the experienced drivers will be there, as well as the guarantee chasers. So perhaps she should stay to the outside and pick off those longer runs. ratings may impact the guarantee, but UBER does not start to look at a new drivers ratings until around 50. Or so it is said.

frndthDuvel

I get what you're saying but if I don't make the 2 rides / hour for 40 hours, I won't get the guarantee. So it seems like I would rather have option 2 if I don't end up making the minimal requirements.

I don't have professional experience but I was born and raised in Austin so i'm familiar with the craziness of SXSW. Thanks for the info. I'll prepare even more now :smiles:
I would opt in, and then forget about it. Other than making it easy on yourself by logging in at the top of the hour. And why ever log out, even if you have to go to the bathroom. Riders can wait, you are a t a stop light or something. You know kaarazy? well then just do it and it will work out fine. Worst case? You earn the money you earn.