• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is This Normal? New Driver Rating Woes

Ubermcbc

Hello friends,

I have been driving Uber for 1-week in the St Louis area. I drive a spotlessly clean black SUV with leather seats, with strawberry scent, free ice water, cell phone chargers available, I'm very friendly/courteous, very safe driver, doing everything I can to make people happy, and have received several 5 and 10 dollar tips, as well as numerous smaller tips. But... despite bending over backwards for people, I now have a 4.6 star rating after 50 trips. Here is what happened...

On day 1, a rider gets in and says her boyfriend will be here very soon, he's putting in laundry. So, I didn't click the pickup until he arrived at my car. Then she needed to charge her phone, but I didn't have an iphone charger. I didn't even know iphones use a different charger that android phones. Somebody gave me a 3-star rating that night, and I'm sure it was her. That brought my rating down to 4.85, and Uber sends me a message telling me "Your rating is low." Are you serious? 4.85 is equivalent to 97% on a college exam! That = A+ even at Harvard, but Uber calls it a low rating.

On day 4, I pick up two intoxicated ladies from a million dollar house in Ladue (most affluent part of St Louis). We arrive at the destination and she says "We need to change the destination." They wanted me to drop her off and take the other lady home, which I said I was happy to do, but I didn't know how to change the destination, so they had to request a 2nd Uber and then I took the 2nd lady home. These were only $5.00 trips. Somebody gave me a 1-star rating that night bringing my rating down to 4.6. I wonder who? I have since looked this up on the Uber website, and the rider has to add a 2nd destination, not the driver. (This morning I have printed this out and will keep it in my car from now on to show riders.)

On day 6, my rating had risen from 4.6 to 4.74, until 3 very stinky people got in my car. After accepting free ice water they inform me that they need to do a round trip. I politely explained that I'm a new driver and I don't know how to do that, but I will try. She says "I have seen other Uber drivers do it." I said, "When we get to the destination I will try my best to figure out how to do it." It turned out to be a short $3.00 trip to a convenience store, and of course I couldn't find a way to make the app do a round trip, but I offered to wait while they shop in the convenience store and request another Uber, and I would probably get the request, so they wouldn't have to wait for another driver. I even declined a ride request while standing there in the convenience store telling them this. I noticed they were acting funny, but I didn't think too much of it. A few minutes passed and I still didn't get the request, so I went back into the store and he said somebody else got the request, but he wouldn't look me in the eye. I told them to have a good night and left. Then sure enough, someone gave me a 1-star rating and my score dropped back down to 4.6. I wonder who that was?

Is this normal? It looks to me like this is how it's going to be, every 2 or 3 days someone is going to give me a 1-star rating, because they didn't get every detail exactly as they wanted it, or they didn't get 2 rides for the price of one. The saddest thing is that I have given every rider 5-stars. It makes you sick to your stomach to have someone give you 1-star after you have given them 5-stars and been so polite and courteous to them.

What should I do to change this and am I worrying too much about this rating?

Sorry for the long post, but this is important to me.
The more you try to bend over, the more people will take advantage of you. They take it as a sign of weakness. Stop offering them any free stuff. Forget about the cold water, don't even offer hot water. Always keep your option open for another job. Rating is not the only thing that may deactivate you. False accusations can happen anytime.

FLUBBER

The more you try to bend over, the more people will take advantage of you. They take it as a sign of weakness. Stop offering them any free stuff. Forget about the cold water, don't even offer hot water. Always keep your option open for another job. Rating is not the only thing that may deactivate you. False accusations can happen anytime.
I uploaded dashcam of last 12 months of rides my entire ride history to dropbox sorted by day and file name syntax is set by the camera makes it nice and easy to find any date or time you want to look at. The last false report that came in on me I asked UBER for time of ride so I could send them the link to the specific file. They refused to tell me citing rider privacy. I sent them the master link to 12 months of rides and told them feel free and look as they know the time of ride and I don't they don't even need to tell me. They refused citing rider privacy lol. What a joke hiding behind privacy when it's not even a valid excuse. If they don't want to review dashcams to defend ourselves they should just say so in the first place. Dashcam is good to protect you from criminal complaints the police will happily look at it at least.
Forget the 1* ratings and take the false reports is nothing you can do about it except drive until you can't and as UBERmcbc said get another job lined up as back up. You could get lucky and drive for a couple years or be done in 2 months depends on who gets in your car.

Mikeoftulsa

After 500 rated rides the worst drop you can get from a single rating would be if you get a 1* and a 5* drops off, which reduces your overall rating by 0.008 which might not even change your rating since it's rounded to the nearest .01.

For example, suppose you have 475 X 5*, 16 X 4*, 7 X 3*, 0 X 2*, and 2 X 1*. That's 4.924 which rounds off to 4.92. Then you get a 1* replacing one of the 5*s. Now you're at 474 / 16 / 7 / 0 / 3, which is 4.916, which still rounds off to 4.92.
Recently had a pax give me a 1 star. It dropped me from 4.91 to 4.90.

touberornottouber

Yes, this is normal. In fact you are lucky they also didn't do three reports for various things like "safety", "professionalism" and "car quality". A lot of passengers love to do this as soon as you tell them "NO" for anything. If you are really unlucky sometimes after you say "NO" they will contact Uber/Lyft and report that you were intoxicated or that you sexually harassed them. This then results in your account being deactivated.

zigo230

Recently had a pax give me a 1 star. It dropped me from 4.91 to 4.90.

After 1,300 rides i was sitting at a 4.96. Sometime last week after giving several perfectly good, safe rides, someone gave me a 1-star. It dropped me to a 4.95. As a natural human reaction i got pissed... and called Uber to find out what kind of feedback the rider provided to give me a 1-star?? The Uber rep thanked me for calling, said the ratings are given in anonymity and they cannot be reversed. She said they would not even know which rider gave the 1-star which i find hard to believe.
But whatever, i recalled that i had a few elderly passengers that week and I think one of them accidentally tapped the 1-star thinking that was the best rating,,,instead of a 5. It happens.

Mikeoftulsa

After 1,300 rides i was sitting at a 4.96. Sometime last week after giving several perfectly good, safe rides, someone gave me a 1-star. It dropped me to a 4.95. As a natural human reaction i got pissed... and called Uber to find out what kind of feedback the rider provided to give me a 1-star?? The Uber rep thanked me for calling, said the ratings are given in anonymity and they cannot be reversed. She said they would not even know which rider gave the 1-star which i find hard to believe.
But whatever, i recalled that i had a few elderly passengers that week and I think one of them accidentally tapped the 1-star thinking that was the best rating,,,instead of a 5. It happens.
got another 5 star that offset the 1 star the next day so I'm back up where I was lol.

R3drang3r

You are number one Uber driver👍👍
Post automatically merged:

The newest 5 star replaced an old 1 star and so i ended up back where I originally was.
It takes a lot of five star ratings to knock off a one.
What I don't understand is I see the same unchanged numbers for weeks. During that time I received a significant amount of rides that result in tips. Most Riders that take the time to give you a tip will also rate you a 5.
The question is where do all those fives go?
Yet you get one rating below a five and Bam your numbers change instantly.

This is Uber's cyber whip that they think will motivate drivers to do better. It has the complete opposite effect on me. I've reached a point where I don't even want to turn the app on and drive anymore.

Last edited:

Ubermcbc

You don't know that? The drivers who are about to get booted from guber's platform, get a anonymous call so they can buy those 5 stars in order to have a privilege to be a guber driver. You don't have to pay any cash. Just a promise that you will do minimum 100 trips a week.

R3drang3r

You don't know that? The drivers who are about to get booted from guber's platform, get a anonymous call so they can buy those 5 stars in order to have a privilege to be a guber driver. You don't have to pay any cash. Just a promise that you will do minimum 100 trips a week.
Do what???

pizzaladee

What I don't understand is I see the same unchanged numbers for weeks. During that time I received a significant amount of rides that result in tips. Most Riders that take the time to give you a tip will also rate you a 5.

This is Uber's cyber whip that they think will motivate drivers to do better. It has the complete opposite effect on me. I've reached a point where I don't even want to turn the app on and drive anymore.
You notice the 1 because it is replacing a higher number from 500 rated rides ago. All of the new 5s you get are replacing 5s from 500 rides ago, so you don’t notice any change in those numbers.

Uber is not being shady with your 5s, you just don’t understand how the ratings work.

R3drang3r

You notice the 1 because it is replacing a higher number from 500 rated rides ago. All of the new 5s you get are replacing 5s from 500 rides ago, so you don’t notice any change in those numbers.

Uber is not being shady with your 5s, you just don’t understand how the ratings work.
Please enlighten me then.

Up to the first 500 it's very simple to understand it's based on math how they achieve your rating. Now I have absolutely no idea what Uber is doing.

pizzaladee

Please enlighten me then.

Up to the first 500 it's very simple to understand it's based on math how they achieve your rating. Now I have absolutely no idea what Uber is doing.
Your newest rated ride is ride number 1. The rating from that ride replaces ride 501. More than likely they will both be 5* and you don’t notice a change in the numbers.

If rating 1 is different than than 501, you notice the change, and then it takes 500 more rated rides to replace that new rating. Each new rating replaces the rating from 500 trips ago.

I’m not trying to be a jerk about this; just trying to explain how it works.

DriverMark

About a year ago I had a PAX snap the end off the crapple charger.... mean iphone charger I had. I've never replaced it and don't plane to.

My standard line now is: "Sorry, had someone snap the end off the iphone cord I had and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet".
PAX usually say something like: "Dang, that sucks. Why would people do that?"

You will learn some standard lines to deal with things passengers ask. Instead of just "No" ...... engage them and get them on your side.

Like.... "Do you have water?"
Me: "No, sorry. I used to carry it but I found people would take a few sips and instead of taking the open bottle with them, leave it in door. And then a later pax would try and use it. Instead of risking "double dipping", I stopped carrying water."

This gets the PAX on your side. That you don't carry water for their benefit. And they appreciate it.

SuzeCB

Phone/app support can't reverse downrates. Only a GLH can.

R3drang3r

Your newest rated ride is ride number 1. The rating from that ride replaces ride 501. More than likely they will both be 5* and you don’t notice a change in the numbers.

If rating 1 is different than than 501, you notice the change, and then it takes 500 more rated rides to replace that new rating. Each new rating replaces the rating from 500 trips ago.

Thank you I appreciate the explanation.

Fuzzyelvis

I’m surprised Uber did not show you how to operate the App?
Are you? Are you REALLY?

It takes ONE five star rating to knock off ONE one star rating. It just has to be the first and last rating of the last 500. It just takes a long time to cycle through the 499 other ratings to get to that 1 star (if its the only one).

When most of your ratings are five stars anyway, then all you're doing most of the time is replacing a five that drops off with a new five, so of course nothing changes most of the time. For instance, if 90% of your ratings are 5 stars, nothing will change 90% of the time. And for another 5% or so you STILL won't see a change because it takes a few 3 or 4s dropping off to make a difference. That also means that most of the time you won't even notice a 3 or 4 as your rating won't change. What will happen is you get three or four of those in a night and your rating does change and you assume somebody gave you a one.

This is why I don't try to figure out who gave me a crappy rating. If you have a horrible passenger and you know that you're going to exchange one stars then you can probably guess what happened, but when your rating changes and it seems out of the blue there's no point in worrying about it.

Last edited: