Is this guy for real?

Gilbert_Aus

So I was picking up a passenger the other night when this guy walked up to my window and started filming me. He shouted "leave now! YOU ARE AN ILLLEGAL"
When I asked him what organisation he worked for he wouldn't answer but just says that I would be receiving a fine in the mail for being in a taxi zone and also for being an Uber driver.

Later that night I had another pick up from the same location and this time he was even more angry. I couldn't help but laugh because he was jaywalking. If he was so concerned about the road rules why was he standing in the middle of a road filming people? Maybe I should buy a reflective vest so I can have these special powers too?

But seriously.. Is this guy going to fine me twice like he claims or is he just trying to scare Uber drivers? Who does he really work for? I should also mention that he was communicating my number plate details to someone on his phone.
image.jpeg

UBERxGc

Did you really accept another request at the same location? That is silly! You do realise you are indeed an illegal, right?
You'll probably get just one fine for each infringement though and uber won't help with traffic violations like stopping in a taxi zone.

Gilbert_Aus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you really accept another request at the same location? That is silly! You do realise you are indeed an illegal, right?
You'll probably get just one fine for each infringement though and uber won't help with traffic violations like stopping in a taxi zone.
It might be an illegal activity but I myself am not illegal. That's the kind of language our last prime minister used to describe boat people.

tohunt4me

So I was picking up a passenger the other night when this guy walked up to my window and started filming me. He shouted "leave now! YOU ARE AN ILLLEGAL"
When I asked him what organisation he worked for he wouldn't answer but just says that I would be receiving a fine in the mail for being in a taxi zone and also for being an Uber driver.

Later that night I had another pick up from the same location and this time he was even more angry. I couldn't help but laugh because he was jaywalking. If he was so concerned about the road rules why was he standing in the middle of a road filming people? Maybe I should buy a reflective vest so I can have these special powers too?

But seriously.. Is this guy going to fine me twice like he claims or is he just trying to scare Uber drivers? Who does he really work for? I should also mention that he was communicating my number plate details to someone on his phone.
View attachment 37464
Gramps escaped the nursing home again !
Please bring him back safe.

Gilbert_Aus

uber dont usually pay traffic infringement notices such as this.
Where am I supposed to stop? The street was barricaded off for Anzac Day celebrations and the only place to pull over is either in the no stopping zone or at the end of the taxi zone.
I'm just doing my job as an Uber driver. I need every fare I can get to cover expenses. I estimate that up to 1/4 of all pick ups are in situations like this. I would be really disappointed if I was fined for this because there is practically no other place to pick up passengers. If I cancel the trip Uber will just keep disabling my account like they have been when I don't accept far away trips.
image.jpeg

Ben Hall

Where am I supposed to stop? The street was barricaded off for Anzac Day celebrations and the only place to pull over is either in the no stopping zone or at the end of the taxi zone.
I'm just doing my job as an Uber driver. I need every fare I can get to cover expenses. I estimate that up to 1/4 of all pick ups are in situations like this. I would be really disappointed if I was fined for this because there is practically no other place to pick up passengers. If I cancel the trip Uber will just keep disabling my account like they have been when I don't accept far away trips. View attachment 37476
if you get a fine for stopping in a taxi zone you will need to do a lot more fares to pay the fine. Perhaps you should clarify with uber which fines they will pay for.

The state government in Queensland are not huge uber fans currently so i would be trying to keep a low profile as a driver to avoid the inconvenience of being pulled over by the powers that be.

Instyle

I know it's been said, but I'll say it again. Don't stop in Taxi zones, No stopping or Yellow lines, you will receive a traffic infringement notice for illegally stopping. Traffic violations are not Uber's concern and show a lack of professionalism. Your hand-balling the same problem to the next driver whereby that pax will continue to request from difficult or illegal pickup locations because "the last driver did it".

The person in your picture is a Taxi Marshal, Government employee not a Taxi company employee, he's been filming for about 6-9 months so far. TMR have used the footage to compile intel but nothing (to my knowledge) has come of it, in terms of fines or litigation, unless anyone else has any further info?

Gilbert_Aus

I know it's been said, but I'll say it again. Don't stop in Taxi zones, No stopping or Yellow lines, you will receive a traffic infringement notice for illegally stopping. Traffic violations are not Uber's concern and show a lack of professionalism. Your hand-balling the same problem to the next driver whereby that pax will continue to request from difficult or illegal pickup locations because "the last driver did it".

The person in your picture is a Taxi Marshal, Government employee not a Taxi company employee, he's been filming for about 6-9 months so far. TMR have used the footage to compile intel but nothing (to my knowledge) has come of it, in terms of fines or litigation, unless anyone else has any further info?
Thanks for the info, I will be extra careful now. I think I'll just avoid the city requests and do suburb pickups where it's not illegal to pull over.

SydX

U seem to know more than anyone here?
Please disclose what you already know...
How do u know they been filming for 6-9mths? How do u know hes a Taxi marshal?? Didnt even know they existed... how do u know its not some clown dressed up to act like one to scare Uber drivers away??

VooDoo

He has been doing it for 6-9months, We see them all the time
He has "Taxi Marshall" on the hi-vis
Nothing has happened

Not hard to get the facts.

Coconutz

you steal from the poor if you are illegal dog..
And that is a dog act
Such strong sentiment, the bitterness is strong in this one yoda. I'll tell you one thing about throwing words like that around, don't do that in real life. Stick to the safety of your keyboard. And this is being nice about it