• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

IS there really a difference between driving for a cab Company or uber

Uberberber

So i keep seeing this trend about people referring to themselves driving for Uber as being entrepreneurs . I honestly don't see how we can justify that . i get the flexibility aspect of the gig ,but to make money now-days we have to put in an insane amount of hours . Cabs get better pay than us . i mean unless somebody gets a commercial insurance ,forms an LLC and gets his own customers outside of Uber, then we probably should face the reality that we are just cab drivers working for 10 or 9$ per hour or maybe less .

Last edited:

radicalX

Cab drivers might have cages in their cars. I've questioned my sanity more than once when Uber has sent me into a bad area for a pool ride to pick up a rider reeking of illegal substances, and then I have to drive with my back turned to this person? But Uber knows who he is! Hell, all Uber knows is somebody asked for a ride. Could be with a stolen phone. Could be someone else ordering the ride without ever even being there.

Cab drivers also get tipped.

I did an hour with Uber tonight. Got one Pool ride right away and it ended up paying me $9.50. Minus out gas ($2.00 or so) and taxes (another $2 or so) and my net was maybe $6. For an hour. I can make more than that raking leaves, making telemarketing calls, playing games on Twitch, or walking neighbor dogs. Well probably.

About $10 an hour is my typical gross so the math is just bad. Probably going to just hang it up.

ShawnsUber

I've never driven a cab, but they surely are paid better than us Uber scrubs. The livery business has been around a long time. Uber, while initially seemed very threatening to cabs in general to me, has taking crazy progress to step on their own toes and screw up that advantage.

Dontmakemepullauonyou

So i keep seeing this trend about people referring to themselves driving for Uber as being entrepreneurs . I honestly don't see how we can justify that . i get the flexibility aspect of the gig ,but to make money now-days we have to put in an insane amount of hours . Cabs get better pay than us . i mean unless somebody gets a commercial insurance ,forms an LLC and gets his own customers outside of Uber, then we probably should face the reality that we are just cab drivers working for 10 or 9$ per hour or maybe less .
The difference?

Yeah here cabs are set at $2.30 a mile and $0.40 a minute when their "minute" is actually only 40 seconds. Cab drivers have sometimes with cab rental and insurance pay $300-500 a week but they get to keep 100% of the cab fares which are double uberX rates.

Yeah my city cabs $2.30 mile $0.40 minute and uberX $1.15 mile and $0.20 per minute but uber takes 20-25% of that.

So cab driver starts the week off paying off his cab rental which by the way includes ALL MAINTAINCE covered but keeps 100% of the fare which is always essentially 2X surge if you compare cabs rate to uberX.

TwoFiddyMile

I own my cab, in a city where I can't buy or sell the medallion. I break even at $500 gross per week, because I'm a Truther and understand every penny a mile actually costs me.
Uber kills us here. Pre Uber in a market like this, I'd be broken even by the end of my Tuesday shift. Every penny of Wed-sat would be profit after that.
Uber would be better if they charged enough for owner operators to make a living, which they do not.
I'd never Uber for less than $1.50 per mile. And besides that, I don't trust Uber. They change the rules every few months.