• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is there money to be made?

Darkwing115

Hello
I have a very general question and I realize that a lot of folks dont like to talk about the bottom line, money.
I just need to know if I'm working the San Antonio Texas market can I make a minimum of $400.00 in a single week?

Capathy21

Can you? Sure. Just depends on how many hours you are wanting to work, or what times of day. I came from Houston recently and I just thought Houston’s market was bad.

Most rides in S.A. are short. In Houston, an airport ride from IAH would generally net you at least 20 bucks. I thought most drivers who waited in the lot for over an hour were crazy. I come to S.A., and see as many as 70 drivers waiting in the lot for rides that typically net 5-10 dollars. You can’t make this stuff up.

I used to hear about the S.A. market being a good place to drive. Clearly that is no longer the case.

I would guess that, to make $400 per week, you’d need to drive at least 30 hours. Then of course you have to calculate your operational costs and such.

Another factor is, have you done Uber before in a different market? If you have, then you know how to play the game. Customers don’t care about you and you can’t care about them. Your time is money. Never wait past 5 minutes for a customer(cancel at 5:01 and get your fee) and never drive more than 2 miles for a pickup without calling first.

All of these drivers that think Uber is awesome, who wait 10 minutes for a lazy pax, who think 8 dollars an hour is good money, really need to calculate their actual operating costs. Once you do that, you’ll realize that Uber is pure evil and the laughable per mile rates they charge are barely enough to break even in the long run.

tldr; only do it if you really need the money.

ubering101

According to survey, Uber’s driver retention rate is merely 4% after the first year, obviously most are not happy with pay, among other issues. Nevertheless, Uber unwilling to raise the pay indicates that there’s no shortage of drivers. As a independent contractor, you’ve a choice, drive whenever you want, don’t drive if you think the pay is not reasonable. Uber will be forced to adjust the pay or something to attract more drivers, that's just business. But unfortunately, Uber ultimate goal is to get rid of all drivers as soon as possible with driverless cars. UBER = Unacceptable Business Extremely Ridiculous!!!

Arnie123

Hello
I have a very general question and I realize that a lot of folks dont like to talk about the bottom line, money.
I just need to know if I'm working the San Antonio Texas market can I make a minimum of $400.00 in a single week?
As an UBEReats driver myself, one month in you can definitely hit the 400 mark per week. In fact, I work when my wife gets off from her full time job and I average around 365$ to 420$ per week.
Smart driving, key areas and boost are your best friend. On my wifes days off, I simply ride the Uber wave, in other words, I just let the pings take me all over SA, instead of log off, drive back to my area and re log back in.

Arnie123

Uber is a lucrative business and tons of money is being made. The drivers don't get any of it however......
I'd wager the money is being spent on infrastructure and other things.
15 to 25$ per hour is a half truth, in areas with established footholds, sure, like parts of California.
Here, like San Antonio, the market is barely 6 to 7 months old, its system is still settling in place. The result is anywhere from 9$ to 12$ per hour.

Today was the first day I got extremely mad at Uber. I was on a roll, early AM log in, about 3 hrs in at $44 then...nada, nothing. From 1230PM to 250pm, I did not recieve ONE PING.
5 star rating, 100% Delivery, 0% Cancellations, middle of a hot zone (Wurz and Fred), full 4GLte signal. I didn't recieve NOTHING, NADA.

I them sent a complaint up to Uber support about pings, BOOM, instant ping 2 minutes later. Too bad, it was already time for me to log off and go home as to wife had to go into work. As a result, I got a paltry 51$ and some change.
2hrs and 20 mins would have seen me make around an additional 20$.
This is absolutely disgusting and pathetic to put drivers in such a position, like we are here to work, why no pings? under the best of conditions?

Yes, Uber has a lot of money, plus we can get in on it, only if the system is WORKING.

satxsatx

$12 GROSS / hour has been my average with Uber in SA. Too many drivers, not enough riders, too much dead time, esp in summer parked burning gas to run the A/C.

One Sat night, $35 with Uber, drove 70 miles for the evening (with and w/o riders), x $0.53/mile,

... so that my IRS mileage deductible exceeded by Uber gross revenue.

Uber CEO whining that Lyft is too tough a competitor. But Lyft only matches whatever Uber, as market leader, does. Uber's poverty-level fares was supposed to deter/kill competition. Just another failed Uber strategy to match its failed corporate culture.

I don't know how to drive? I've made $1000s driving in Austin, for Ride Austin, Fare, Fasten.

karenftx

Enough to pay my bills and have money left over. What that means to you and what that means to me are most likely different things.

Darkwing115

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello
Post automatically merged:

I made this post about 2 years ago and then forgot all about the forum. 2 years later and retired I am now driving for UBER only for the past 6 months and I've completed just under 1,300 rides.
I have only a few complaints. Uber needs to come up with a way for drivers to see their passengers prior to our arrival just like passengers see our smiling faces. If the passenger isn't the account holder then we should know that we might be looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend.
San Antonio is one gigantic construction zone and I understand that apps can't read the minds of city planners but I get routed is some seriously out of the way directions. It would be great if the option to avoid highways was available. Being directed to get on the highway from the Riverwalk to the Pearl district is a bit silly. IMO
My doors stay locked until I have the riders name or the account holders name.
In the past 6 months I've had 3 clean ups on isle 1 and 2. One womans husband got clean wet towels and cleaned up after his wife who let dinner and drinks leave her small body after too good a night. I didn't file a claim based solely on his effort to make it right. The others laughed and thought it was funny so they got hit in the funnybone.
Since we need to do quarterly taxes it would be awesome if uber supplied quarterly earnings reports for the drivers.

Last edited:

satxsatx

Uber is a lucrative business and tons of money is being made. The drivers don't get any of it however......
Uber and Lyft have been for a fe in
U/L have NEVER EVER made any profit, many years after startup

For the past few years, eg, Uber losing appx $4B/year, Lyft $1B/year.

Investor pros saw many ref flags in the Lyft prospectus that would keep investors away

Lytf's IPO prospectus said they cannot predict when Lyft will be profitable, and Lyft doesn't control its fares, Uber is as the "price leader" that Lyft must and does follow.

at $0.60 / mile driver payout and total-cost-of-car-ownership at $0.50 - $0.60 / mile, drivers' NET is $0.10 / mile or less on mileage, then add in driver time payout, and now any infrequent, puny "bonus".

==============

7 Worst Parts of Being an Uber Driver

1) You Are Not Going To Get Rich Doing This

2) Your Body Will Hurt

3) Uber And Lyft Are Not Your Partners

4) I Bet You Did Not See That Coming (Hidden Expenses)

5) What Did You Say To Me? (Nasty Passengers)

6) Oh Boy, Another Airport Run! (Boredom)

7) There Is No Future Here

$400 GROSS / week?

400 / (.60/mile) = 700 PAID miles / week x 48 weeks = 34K /miles year

That's PAID miles, you'll probably DOUBLE that in unpaid miles: driving to pickup, driving back from dropoffs out-of-the-way, driving around to new waiting locations, meaning for $400/week you'll drive probably 50K+ miles / year.

2/3 of U drivers quit after 6 months, which driver "churn" is why U/L are ALWAYS recruiting to sucker in more drivers.

"I can drive if and when I want to make severely depressed poverty income. I love it" LOL

For a $10 fare, U/L will take 40-45%, even more for lower fares.

In SA, badly over-supplied in drivers, you will avg under 2 trips / hour, GROSSing about $6 / trip.

Scoutz

I'd wager the money is being spent on infrastructure and other things.
15 to 25$ per hour is a half truth, in areas with established footholds, sure, like parts of California.
Here, like San Antonio, the market is barely 6 to 7 months old, its system is still settling in place. The result is anywhere from 9$ to 12$ per hour.

Today was the first day I got extremely mad at Uber. I was on a roll, early AM log in, about 3 hrs in at $44 then...nada, nothing. From 1230PM to 250pm, I did not recieve ONE PING.
5 star rating, 100% Delivery, 0% Cancellations, middle of a hot zone (Wurz and Fred), full 4GLte signal. I didn't recieve NOTHING, NADA.

I them sent a complaint up to Uber support about pings, BOOM, instant ping 2 minutes later. Too bad, it was already time for me to log off and go home as to wife had to go into work. As a result, I got a paltry 51$ and some change.
2hrs and 20 mins would have seen me make around an additional 20$.
This is absolutely disgusting and pathetic to put drivers in such a position, like we are here to work, why no pings? under the best of conditions?

Yes, Uber has a lot of money, plus we can get in on it, only if the system is WORKING.
If I go more than 10-15 minutes without a ping I go offline and wait a few seconds then back on, usually works.