• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is there a minimum tip amount you're okay with?

reg barclay

Is there a minimum tip amount you're okay with or is any amount better than nothing?

Any difference between in app or cash?

A dollar is definitely fine for me, and much better than zilch. I've had 50 cents before and that's okay too. Any less than that and I'd think it might be due to a decimal point error.

Kodyhead

Generally speaking any amount is better than nothing but I do not do anything lower than xl so when I get $1 tip on a $100 ride that's insulting lol

I always keep $165+ in change in the car and one time after a 45+ lux ride the lady asked if I had change for $100. So I gave her 4 x $20, $10, $5 and 5 singles. She said thanks and left lol.

reg barclay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Generally speaking any amount is better than nothing but I do not do anything lower than xl so when I get $1 tip on a $100 ride that's insulting lol
I forgot to mention the possible difference between longer and shorter rides. I don't do many long distance rides, so the majority of tips I get are $1-5.

Seamus

Anything is better than nothing. However, if I take someone to LGA, JFK, Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens then I'm not happy with less than $10-$20 tip to make the trip worthwhile, or at least pay the toll back to the suburbs. Staten Island would need a $25 tip minimum.

Staten Island is the worst. Twice I took a pax there. First guy begged me not to cancel as previous drivers had done. I explained to him how much money it would cost me to get out of there and he tipped me $25 up front. Second time the lady handed me $40 right up front before I even knew where the trip was going. Guess she had experience.

Last edited:

Boca Ratman

the lady asked if I had change for $100. So I gave her 4 x $20, $10, $5 and 5 singles. She said thanks and left
your mistake was not asking how much she needed.

when people ask me , change for a 20? I say I think I have 14.
I used to get a bit insulted at $1.00, I guess I'm getting used to it.

before in app tipping I only received a 1.00 tip once. I get a lot of $1 00 in app tips. I assume these are from people who normally wouldn't tip anything so I try to be appreciative. Honestly, 50 cents is insulting. when I see 50 cents I think they are trying to tell me i suck

Uber Crack

Author
I have been using the app as a rider a few times these past weeks, and I think it's utter BS that the app suggests a tip of $1, $2, $4 or other amount. "Other amount" is small, like an afterthought. I feel asif the app encourages small tips and that makes me struggle not to feel a bit cranky sometimes.

reg barclay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been using the app as a rider a few times these past weeks, and I think it's utter BS that the app suggests a tip of $1, $2, $4 or other amount. "Other amount" is small, like an afterthought. I feel asif the app encourages small tips and that makes me struggle not to feel a bit cranky sometimes.
There may be differences in what the app suggests in different circumstances. I've had a few trips where pax tipped amounts that looked like a percentage. Maybe it depends on the trip length IDK.

Kodyhead

your mistake was not asking how much she needed.

when people ask me , change for a 20? I say I think I have 14.
I used to get a bit insulted at $1.00, I guess I'm getting used to it.

before in app tipping I only received a 1.00 tip once. I get a lot of $1 00 in app tips. I assume these are from people who normally wouldn't tip anything so I try to be appreciative. Honestly, 50 cents is insulting. when I see 50 cents I think they are trying to tell me i suck
Usually as I am putting together the change they say something like give me 80 or 90 or something but nah lol

BigRedDriver

Tips the last few days have been almost nothing.

Yes a $1 tip on a short ride is fine. But 10 to 20% is more in order.

Which leads to something I’ve wondered. Do the riders see the amount the driver gets? If not, how can they figure a % tip?

I

Boca Ratman

Anything less than $1 is an insult.

Honestly, tho, I don't get many insulting tips. I get a lot more $3-$10 tips on $5 rides than I do tiny tips.

Personally, when I am a rider, it's $5 cash for X and $10 cash for XL. That's a bit much sometimes, but I have confidence some cheap @@@@@@@ will make it up to the driver.
oh I get more 3-5 than 1 or .50.

I would never tip .50 or $1 for anything, unless I was. trying to be insulting. If I ride I tip well. I don't think I've ever tipped less 50% of my fare.

Most of my tips are $3 or more. I added my in app tips up from last year and in app was 16% of my net from 36% of my trips. On a week to week basis, I almost always make more in cash tips than in app. I wish I kept a record.

I was really surprised at the # of pax who tipped. I would have guessed less than 20%
Tips the last few days have been almost nothing.

Yes a $1 tip on a short ride is fine. But 10 to 20% is more in order.

Which leads to something I’ve wondered. Do the riders see the amount the driver gets? If not, how can they figure a % tip?
they can not.
they tip on the total paid.

BigRedDriver

oh I get more 3-5 than 1 or .50.

I would never tip .50 or $1 for anything, unless I was. trying to be insulting. If I ride I tip well. I don't think I've ever tipped less 50% of my fare.

Most of my tips are $3 or more. I added my in app tips up from last year and in app was 16% of my net from 36% of my trips. On a week to week basis, I almost always make more in cash tips than in app. I wish I kept a record.

I was really surprised at the # of pax who tipped. I would have guessed less than 20%

they can not.
they tip on the total paid.
I wouldn’t.