Is the airport serious right now???

TaraVon

How is there a $9 surge on Uber right now at Logan Airport but yet 145 cars in the queue?!? It just doesn’t make any sense at all! Not too mention that I just counted 5 out state plates in one row. Mostly NY plates but the cars don’t have any rental decals on them like most “GetAround” vehicles do. Unless they are renting from Enterprise or another company... Out of the last 2 years of doing airport rides I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many cars in the queue or wait times this high! Very frustrating.... 😩

189CA611-5ED3-4D90-A684-9AAA35E198FA.png
f

Jaackil

Because there is over 1000 passengers arriving between now and 1:00 am. 145 ants isn’t enough to cover the requests. It’s not like in the city where they can just expand the radius assign drivers that are 10-12 minutes away. If cars aren’t in the queue or dropping off at central parking they can’t be assigned to a rider. Passengers at the airport have other alternatives they don’t wait around till the lot fills up. So the only way they can draw the ants to the lot is surge.

Goodellsux

They set the surge and it grows depending on expected requests. As cars enter the lot and cars in the lot turn on their app, the queue grows quickly, sometimes from 30 to 150 in 5-10 minutes, and the surge subsides quickly.

The key is catching the highest surge before the queue gets too large, in order to minimize your wait time.

In the past it was easier to play the airport game, as the surge was more predictable and more closely related to supply and demand. These days, they program the surge to ensure cars are available when requests come in, and your surge is less likely related to the riders surge. Furthermore, they cap the surge.

South Shore Driver

From Uber's point of view it probably is just a fraction. The numerator is the expected number of passengers arriving. The denominator is the number of ubers available for pickup. The best scenario for us is a big numerator and a small denominator.

So 900 arrivals divided by 100 ubers is $9. And 375 arrivals divided by 100 ubers is $3.75. Etc.
Post automatically merged:

Suppose your night starts at 7pm. You get a request that promises you priority queue access for Uber if you take the small trip to east boston. So you accept it, and from that point on it's Lyft only at the airport. Meanwhile you're waiting for this scenario, where it is $9 but 145 are already there. That's a good time to take the Uber trip and be first in line.

Last edited:

Uberexxel

@ TaraVon, Jacckil, Goodellsux, and South Shore Driver....Why don't you guys just have private conversations? You guys are close and always post on similar topics. You guys should meet up for a snack @ subway or even better have coffee at Logan

Jaackil

@ TaraVon, Jacckil, Goodellsux, and South Shore Driver....Why don't you guys just have private conversations? You guys are close and always post on similar topics. You guys should meet up for a snack @ subway or even better have coffee at Logan
What’s your problem troll?

Jaackil

The airport lot is now like the practice squad in the NFL You make less money, you never know when you will be needed, and there are is a lot of transient competition.
Hey unlike airport lot rats NFL practice squad players make pretty good money! I would be happy with $8,000 a week! Plus they are eligible for a share of all the playoff money if their team makes it to the playoffs. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

E30addixt

I'd love to hear how much an hour someone that works strictly airport runs makes. I can't imagine sitting in that queue regularly is netting you more than what you could make just working the city.
Considering it's taken some of them over a month to realize rematch changed the airport game do you really want them in the city with you?

I mean the OP is a self proclaimed lot rat but clearly still doesn't understand how the airport works short of manipulating surge there (which is now a thing of the past)...

Downtown will eat those drivers alive. Let them sit there.

SoxFan79

Just got back to the airport after a rematch ride to the Hilton on 1A....ride didn’t even register. At least there’s a surge here right now.

john1975

They set the surge and it grows depending on expected requests. As cars enter the lot and cars in the lot turn on their app, the queue grows quickly, sometimes from 30 to 150 in 5-10 minutes, and the surge subsides quickly.

The key is catching the highest surge before the queue gets too large, in order to minimize your wait time.

In the past it was easier to play the airport game, as the surge was more predictable and more closely related to supply and demand. These days, they program the surge to ensure cars are available when requests come in, and your surge is less likely related to the riders surge. Furthermore, they cap the surge.
I would say the key is probably to avoid the airport but that’s just me.