Is Surge a Deceptive Marketing Practice?

Papa Sarducci

It never fails, I'm driving in an area that is surging and, ding, I get a ride request. I'm thinking YES, I finally got a ride that might make me some decent money. Then I look down as I go to accept it, 15 minutes away in an area not surging, total bullshit, ignored. If the area I'm in needs drivers and I'm there then that area should get priority. It defeats the purpose of surge if you lure drivers there only to send them away from the area.

Maybe that is the ironic twist in all of this, Uber is playing the drivers for suckers. Surge actually draws drivers away from an area with demand when there are too many drivers in an area.

Think about it, Uber wants to make make money, right? Why would they want Surge to end? What better way to maximize profits than create a system that artificially inflates the price based on imaginary 'demand'. Send drivers away from the real area with demand to raise the prices on actual rides while the lemming drivers chase the dangling carrot.

This is brilliant, albeit a bit deceptive, I wonder if an investigation into this could lead to a deceptive marketing practices lawsuit.

UberIsAllFubared

This happened to me last week in Woodland Hills around 11:30 PM, whole area is surging, and I get a non surge ping 10 minutes away, of course I let it ping out, and it so infuriated me, I just logged off and went home.

hulksmash

Those 15 min non surge pings are requests made right before surge hit that have been ignored by other drivers and bounced around since no one else wants them either. Best bet is to let them expire until a better request comes along. However you will get put on timeout if you ignore too many in a row. So try not to ignore pings unless it's really too far or you're in the middle of surge and get crap.

Uber can never have too many drivers in an area. The more flooded the better. Less chance of surges and more happier pax. Which is why in some markets the map will light up yellow or orange to lure drivers. It will only turn red when all else fails.

UberIsAllFubared

Yeah but hulksmash, what I have noticed is, you don't get put on time out (2 missed pings in a row) if there aren't a lot of cars aournd or its surging around you and not enough cars to cover the damand... uber is a @@@@@ like that :biggrin:

hulksmash

Yeah but hulksmash, what I have noticed is, you don't get put on time out (2 missed pings in a row) if there aren't a lot of cars aournd or its surging around you and not enough cars to cover the damand... uber is a ***** like that :biggrin:
I've gotten timeouts while in the middle of a surge, in places where it's usually cleaned up quickly. Only when there is a dearth of cars is when they've let me get away with more missed pings. I've noticed the radius for eta increases during those times

UberMeansSuper

Surge pricing is a very delicate scale used by Uber to decide whom they'd like to screw.
2016_07_14_11_18_29_scales_147219_960_720.png_742_720_.png

When it is surging, they are screwing the pax (passenger/s) on a higher rate. Although, if it's surging up to 2x, I wouldn't say it's really screwing them, they're just paying what our service is really worth.
On surge, the newbie or Uber-loving drivers also get screwed because they're chasing the surge and wasting fuel only for the surge to end when they get there.

When it's not surging, we're getting screwed because we are getting paid crumbs.

hulksmash

I've encountered many passengers who didn't mind paying 3x and up just to get a quick ride in a nicer than taxi car. Most of these have been my nicer passengers. Its the cheapie that don't know the true value of the service that Uber caters to by trying to artificially keep prices down.

Chasing surge requires skill. There's been times where I didn't chase it only to see it would have been bigger by the time I got there, and times when I chased only to find it disappear. You must know market conditions at a specific point, and if other cars are around.