• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is Lyft stealing extra from drivers?

Is Lyft stealing extra from drivers? We all know they take way more than they should. We also know they will try and avoid paying cancel fees, surges, etc, if at all possible. But I am talking about direct THEFT, in the form of intentionally underpaying on a ride.

I have been paying more attention to my individual ride payments lately, and have discovered that Lyft has been shorting me on the mileage portion on 1 out of every 5 rides, on average!

1570640293812.png

See the pic? I gave that Lyft ride and the app lost connectivity - supposedly. You will recognize the route that Lyft says I took. The other part drawn in is the actual route that I drove.

Did the app bother to tell me they lost connection? No. It simply assumed that I drove in a straight line from the point of lost connection to the point of reconnection, which (in this case) was the dropoff. Lyft then paid me for the time, the base, and the mileage that they calculated. But the mileage was calculated based on a straight line. The truth is, my car does not fly. My car does not magically drive through buildings and other structures that happen to be in the way. My car does not hop on or off the freeway when we pass over a convenient street below. Which means, that Lyft shorted me on the mileage.

It has been happening over and over, again and again.

1570640273871.png

I would restart my phone, and sometimes it would work fine and sometimes it wouldn’t. I would close all my other apps (and keep them closed). I would do anything and everything I could think of to not mess with the workings of the Lyft app. Wi fi on, wi fi off. Send texts during rides, or not. Make a call during a ride, or not. Use Maps, or close it out. Close out Spotify. I don’t just minimize apps, I close them. When I restart the phone, I don’t open anything except Lyft, just to be sure. But it doesn’t seem to matter … on average, Lyft loses connection on one out of every 5 rides, and never when the ride is less than 10 minutes long.

1570640248432.png

Just looking at the pictures, you can tell there are issues. Why doesn’t Lyft alert the driver? Why doesn’t Lyft tell me “Oops, there was a problem, and we underpaid you.”

Yes, I know… stupid question, Mista T!!

Is there a pattern here?

Many times Lyft has paid me as if I magically floated across a river. They turn a 10 mile trip into a 6 mile payout. They typically short me anywhere from 25 cents to $3. When I submit a ticket, they start the process by playing games with me. Do I have the passenger’s name and point of pickup and dropoff? Do I have the time that I began the ride? Can I give them odd details about the ride (that happened yesterday, or maybe three and a half hours ago)? Do I have the pax’s last name? (WHAT????)

1570640229096.png

Look, it’s not my fault that Lyft’s system has connection issues. And the fact that they don’t say ANYTHING to the driver, they just short our pay and move on, is infuriating. Criminal, really. It makes me think that the connection issues aren’t an accident, it feels like they are done intentionally. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they correct it as soon as it is brought to their attention? And why wouldn’t Lyft take immediate corrective action when the oh-so-intelligent AI recognizes that there was an issue with the ride? It’s almost as if they were doing this on purpose, to skim a little extra off the top.

Don’t worry, just keep driving

Both companies design their apps to make it all feel like some sort of video game, and less like work. Stacked rides are one way of gamifying the app, especially on Lyft.

*** Mista T, what do you mean by “gamifying”? ***

In a video game you are given a goal or object or mission. When you complete it, the game says “Congratulations, you are amazing! Now here is your next objective, go here and do this to succeed.” You don’t really think about past goals or objectives anymore, you simply clear your mind and move forward.

In this case, Lyft sets you up with an auto-stacked ride – a goal right before you complete your previous task. As soon as the ride is done, you don’t need to think about anything (like your money, or ratings, or taking a pee break, or surge prices that might exist). You just drop off someone and keep driving towards the next pax, which is conveniently stacked for you. In fact, you don’t even need to rate the pax, the app will do it for you! And on a stacked ride, the Lyft app will NOT show you how much you made (on that last ride) until you are done with all your rides (in case they stack 1 or more rides). How convenient that I can just drive around and trust that Lyft will take care of the money portion for me, isn’t that terrific?

The ongoing saga

Now I check the map on EVERY single Lyft ride that I do. I have noticed that they short me on perhaps 1 out of every 4-7 rides, somehow. It’s amazing how they manage to try and skim an extra $5-12 from me every shift! It’s also amazing that I never have “connection issues” when it is a minimum ride. I wonder if I’m the only driver they do this to…

1570640202196.png

I use two phones, both of them on the same cell service. They are the same exact phone, also. My Uber phone NEVER has connectivity issues, which leads me to believe that Lyft is shorting me on purpose. The pattern is this: I pick up a pax and drive. Then connection is lost somewhere, and does not reappear until I hit the dropoff button (or very close to dropoff), at which point connection is “miraculously” made once again.

How is it that Lyft loses connection with my phone, and doesn’t seem to be able to regain connection for over 5-10 minutes, until I hit the dropoff button? Hmmm. Why is it that they ONLY lose connectivity when I’m on a ride that lasts for over 10 minutes?

1570640180304.png

I don’t care if the missing amount is as little as ten cents! It’s not okay for them to steal from me.

Possible causes

Is it just me? One possibility is that my phone is bad. I don’t like the idea of having to spend hundreds on a new phone just so I can continue to give rides for $3.75. I will admit that my phone is over 2 years old and has had issues in other areas. But if this is the case, then why doesn’t Lyft acknowledge the problem as soon as is it brought to their attention? Why don’t they spot the problem right when it happens? What’s the point of being a tech company if you can’t manage your tech properly? I’ll bet if the app accidentally overpaid me, they would recognize (and fix) it right away! And why wouldn’t there be any issues with rides that are minimum paying rides, ever?

Perhaps it is my cell carrier. Is anyone else noticing that Lyft has been having random 5-10 minute “connectivity issues” and shorting your mileage pay because of it? If anyone else catches Lyft stealing in this manner, please post screenshots, and indicate who is your cell carrier. Perhaps there is a pattern here.

A third possibility is that Lyft is stealing from drivers intentionally. Let’s see… if I give 5 Lyft rides and they skim $.25-2.50 from me…. that’s about $1-2 for every five rides…. Lyft does about 1.5 million rides a day, give or take… that would be an extra $3 million dollars (or so) per week that they are skimming from drivers. There’s $150+ million a year that goes directly to their bottom line, taken right from our pockets!

Is it just me, or are they stealing from all of us? If this is happening to anyone else, please speak up! If so, maybe Jalopnik will pick up on this and start a new investigation, that would be cool. Even better would be if the DOJ gets involved.

Then again, maybe it’s just my phone.

Mr T

tohunt4me

Is Lyft stealing extra from drivers? We all know they take way more than they should. We also know they will try and avoid paying cancel fees, surges, etc, if at all possible. But I am talking about direct THEFT, in the form of intentionally underpaying on a ride.

I have been paying more attention to my individual ride payments lately, and have discovered that Lyft has been shorting me on the mileage portion on 1 out of every 5 rides, on average!

View attachment 365465

See the pic? I gave that Lyft ride and the app lost connectivity - supposedly. You will recognize the route that Lyft says I took. The other part drawn in is the actual route that I drove.

Did the app bother to tell me they lost connection? No. It simply assumed that I drove in a straight line from the point of lost connection to the point of reconnection, which (in this case) was the dropoff. Lyft then paid me for the time, the base, and the mileage that they calculated. But the mileage was calculated based on a straight line. The truth is, my car does not fly. My car does not magically drive through buildings and other structures that happen to be in the way. My car does not hop on or off the freeway when we pass over a convenient street below. Which means, that Lyft shorted me on the mileage.

View attachment 365464

I would restart my phone, and sometimes it would work fine and sometimes it wouldn’t. I would close all my other apps (and keep them closed). I would do anything and everything I could think of to not mess with the workings of the Lyft app. Wi fi on, wi fi off. Send texts during rides, or not. Make a call during a ride, or not. Use Maps, or close it out. Close out Spotify. I don’t just minimize apps, I close them. When I restart the phone, I don’t open anything except Lyft, just to be sure. But it doesn’t seem to matter … on average, Lyft loses connection on one out of every 5 rides, and never when the ride is less than 10 minutes long.

View attachment 365463

Just looking at the pictures, you can tell there are issues. Why doesn’t Lyft alert the driver? Why doesn’t Lyft tell me “Oops, there was a problem, and we underpaid you.”

Is there a pattern here?

Many times Lyft has paid me as if I magically floated across a river. They turn a 10 mile trip into a 6 mile payout. They typically short me anywhere from 25 cents to $3. When I submit a ticket, they start the process by playing games with me. Do I have the passenger’s name and point of pickup and dropoff? Do I have the time that I began the ride? Can I give them odd details about the ride (that happened yesterday, or maybe three and a half hours ago)? Do I have the pax’s last name? (WHAT????)

View attachment 365462

Look, it’s not my fault that Lyft’s system has connection issues. And the fact that they don’t say ANYTHING to the driver, they just short our pay and move on, is infuriating. Criminal, really. It makes me think that the connection issues aren’t an accident, it feels like they are done intentionally. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they correct it as soon as it is brought to their attention? And why wouldn’t Lyft take immediate corrective action when the oh-so-intelligent AI recognizes that there was an issue with the ride? It’s almost as if they were doing this on purpose, to skim a little extra off the top.

Both companies design their apps to make it all feel like some sort of video game, and less like work. Stacked rides are one way of gamifying the app, especially on Lyft.

In a video game you are given a goal or object or mission. When you complete it, the game says “Congratulations, you are amazing! Now here is your next objective, go here and do this to succeed.” You don’t really think about past goals or objectives anymore, you simply clear your mind and move forward.

In this case, Lyft sets you up with an auto-stacked ride – a goal right before you complete your previous task. As soon as the ride is done, you don’t need to think about anything (like your money, or ratings, or taking a pee break, or surge prices that might exist). You just drop off someone and keep driving towards the next pax, which is conveniently stacked for you. In fact, you don’t even need to rate the pax, the app will do it for you! And on a stacked ride, the Lyft app will NOT show you how much you made (on that last ride) until you are done with all your rides (in case they stack 1 or more rides). How convenient that I can just drive around and trust that Lyft will take care of the money portion for me, isn’t that terrific?

The ongoing saga

Now I check the map on EVERY single Lyft ride that I do. I have noticed that they short me on perhaps 1 out of every 4-7 rides, somehow. It’s amazing how they manage to try and skim an extra $5-12 from me every shift! It’s also amazing that I never have “connection issues” when it is a minimum ride. I wonder if I’m the only driver they do this to…

View attachment 365460

I use two phones, both of them on the same cell service. They are the same exact phone, also. My Uber phone NEVER has connectivity issues, which leads me to believe that Lyft is shorting me on purpose. The pattern is this: I pick up a pax and drive. Then connection is lost somewhere, and does not reappear until I hit the dropoff button (or very close to dropoff), at which point connection is “miraculously” made once again.

How is it that Lyft loses connection with my phone, and doesn’t seem to be able to regain connection for over 5-10 minutes, until I hit the dropoff button? Hmmm. Why is it that they ONLY lose connectivity when I’m on a ride that lasts for over 10 minutes?

View attachment 365458

I don’t care if the missing amount is as little as ten cents! It’s not okay for them to steal from me.

Possible causes

Is it just me? One possibility is that my phone is bad. I don’t like the idea of having to spend hundreds on a new phone just so I can continue to give rides for $3.75. I will admit that my phone is over 2 years old and has had issues in other areas. But if this is the case, then why doesn’t Lyft acknowledge the problem as soon as is it brought to their attention? Why don’t they spot the problem right when it happens? What’s the point of being a tech company if you can’t manage your tech properly? I’ll bet if the app accidentally overpaid me, they would recognize (and fix) it right away! And why wouldn’t there be any issues with rides that are minimum paying rides, ever?

Perhaps it is my cell carrier. Is anyone else noticing that Lyft has been having random 5-10 minute “connectivity issues” and shorting your mileage pay because of it? If anyone else catches Lyft stealing in this manner, please post screenshots, and indicate who is your cell carrier. Perhaps there is a pattern here.

A third possibility is that Lyft is stealing from drivers intentionally. Let’s see… if I give 5 Lyft rides and they skim $.25-2.50 from me…. that’s about $1-2 for every five rides…. Lyft does about 1.5 million rides a day, give or take… that would be an extra $3 million dollars (or so) per week that they are skimming from drivers. There’s $150+ million a year that goes directly to their bottom line, taken right from our pockets!

Is it just me, or are they stealing from all of us? If this is happening to anyone else, please speak up! If so, maybe Jalopnik will pick up on this and start a new investigation, that would be cool. Even better would be if the DOJ gets involved.

AMERICAN MOTORS WAS A GOOD COMPANY.

THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS.

THINK ANYONE WILL REMEMBER LYFT ?

jazzapt

There are only 2 direct ways to get to Logan Airport from the Boston area by car (other than driving up north the city through then back down south through Everett, Chelsea, and/or Revere): The Callahan Tunnel or the MassPike via The Ted Williams Tunnel. Both routes require tolls.

Lyft, however, seems to think there is this mysterious 3rd tunnel that appears off the MassPike. It somehow has a quick, straighter, and more direct route that also has no tolls. And Lyft seems to think I use this tunnel about 50% of the times I go to the airport.

You think I jest, but on more than a few occasions when reporting this to Lyft, I have been told the route is valid. I have had to send them screen shots of Boston area maps showing the only two tunnels, and comparing them to the route Lyft says I took to convince them otherwise.

It is one of the multitude of reasons I rarely ever drive for Lyft anymore.

Dekero

Sounds to me like you need a new phone service with some reliable Data.. especially if your losing connectivity that much.. that's a bit extreme... However I'm sorry you're getting shorted by Lyft .. noone deserves that..

XPG

Rigged taxi meter on steroids! I don't know how else i can describe this engineered digital robbery. I hope one of those tech journalists report your 1st hand invegestigation. Great work.

Amos69

Conversationally, I noticed the examples you presented seem to be very curly. Now I am a Long tripping MFer and make it my point to squeeze as many dollars as I can from each fare. On Goober they always show me an adjustment made and then I can protest the change. This I believe only happens when a customer complains. Doesn't happen often.

Gryft never tells me of adjustments. I also do not find any adjustments when I review. I just audited my last month of Gryft fares and did not find a single anomaly. Perhaps they are adjusting for LT complaints without telling you?

Also the connectivity thing, we have a fair amount of that here but I have never had it drop while driving that I noticed.

Nats121

View attachment 365465

View attachment 365464

View attachment 365463

Is there a pattern here?

View attachment 365462

The ongoing saga

View attachment 365460

View attachment 365458

Possible causes

The people who run these companies are dishonest, greedy, immoral scumbags, period.

This is why I've been saying that the drivers in California and elsewhere need AB5 to be EXTREMELY HARMFUL to both companies.

The worse AB5 is for the companies, the better it will be for drivers in California and the rest of the country.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps they are adjusting for LT complaints without telling you?
Most of those screenshots were taken seconds after I hit the dropoff button.

I don't long haul often (my bad); the freeways are just curvy around here. In the cases where it appears to be long hauling, more often than not I was actually following the Lyft suggest route!

Crosbyandstarsky

View attachment 365465

View attachment 365464

View attachment 365463

Is there a pattern here?

View attachment 365462

The ongoing saga

View attachment 365460

View attachment 365458

Possible causes

They have both been gone over and over and their programs do not steal from people. They have been proven correct a million times

The Gift of Fish

View attachment 365465

View attachment 365464

View attachment 365463

Is there a pattern here?

View attachment 365462

The ongoing saga

View attachment 365460

View attachment 365458

Possible causes

This happens when your phone's GPS craps out. When this starts happening it's time for a new phone. I've had this happen on several phones.

AngelAdams

View attachment 365465

View attachment 365464

View attachment 365463

Is there a pattern here?

View attachment 365462

The ongoing saga

View attachment 365460

View attachment 365458

Possible causes

Yes, lyft is a predatory sub prime employer. Stay as far away from this company as possible. If you drive knowing the truth then it’s on you, and you shouldn’t look for justification or empathy.

KK2929

All maps show you driving a longer route then recommended. In Calif., Lyft pays a set fee for the route taken and recommended by the GPS. If you take a longer route, you will not be paid extra.
In Calif, effective on September 30, 2019, Lyft stopped showing the trip payment breakdown. We will no longer see how much the pax pays nor what Lyft is taking from the fare.

CTK

View attachment 365465

View attachment 365464

View attachment 365463

Is there a pattern here?

View attachment 365462

The ongoing saga

View attachment 365460

View attachment 365458

Possible causes

I'm going to confess up front that I didn't read all of that. I do think I got the point though.

I started driving with Lyft about two years after I had already been driving with Uber, so I was pretty familiar with what a ride should pay. There is a particular highway in my city, and every time I took a Lyft ride on that highway they shorted me on the fare. I called after each one and was continually told that I lost connectivity during the ride, and the fare was adjusted. The last time this happened, I sent them an email pointing out that I ran Google Maps, Pandora, and Uber all while taking these trips and none of those apps ever lost connectivity, there's no reason the Lyft app should be losing connectivity. They adjusted that fare and it never happened again.

I was convinced then and I still am now that Lyft was trying to see what they could get away with as far as ripping me off. Lyft, in my opinion, makes Uber look full of integrity.