Is it worth it?

SmokeySammy

Honest question. Would it be worth it to drive part time for Uber?

I work full time M-F but have decided I need to find a way to make some additional income to pay off debts and wondering if driving a couple nights during the week and some on the weekends might be a good option.

I will have a 2014 Cadillac SRX with extremely low miles so I would qualify for Select fares.

Realistically how much can a driver expect to make per hour during the evening/night on a weeknight and on a weekend night?

Scissorz

Nice vehicle...and there is no good reason that you would want to subject it to the abuse that uberx pax would do. Just because it qualfies for select doesn't mean anything. Uber will force you to take the uberx pax.

If you really want to do this get a 10 year Camry and use that.

CarterPeerless

Consider also that you car may still be under warrantee. You'll want to check the language regarding commercial use.

I don't know enough about how uber is doing the select pricing - I.e. If they will let you only drive Select and not get bumped down to X. If they will make you take X rides, then don't waste your time.

Realistic hourly on X is $10-$15 per hour gross. Then deduct expenses (yours will be higher than most so you are probably below min wage on a net basis). If you catch a good surge or get lucky, you can do a little better. Someone who drives Select can help your with hourly rate expectations for that platform.

Build in some expectation of dead miles back and forth to your house. Laveen is not a typical start or end point for most trips.

The Camry idea is right. If you can get a POS car to run X you probably can cover costs and a little extra. Once it is paid off and you set aside some for maintenance, you can apply some earnings to your other bills.

But use caution when making a long term commitment to this idea. Most drivers burn out in a few months and you don't want another debt hanging out there if you can't hack it. And everyone lives under the constant threat of yet another rate cut. There is no predictability to this model and you are basically powerless to resist the changes.

CarterPeerless

Some data for you. Last night (Saturday) my schedule required that I end the night at midnight. Drove from 5-12. I grossed $13.42 per hour, which is a typical non-surge, non-tip enhanced night. I got about 37 mpg, spending about $9 on fuel, and $5 on snacks from home and a 5 Hour Energy. My car depreciated by a negligible amount and I don't account for the sunk cost of the financing.

Your SRX will have double the fuel costs and a more significant depreciation.

Of course, none of this takes into account the risk of a major event that will cost you the amount of the insurance deductible or the full cost of an uncovered event. We all live in fear of that unlucky situation.

AP92

Honest question. Would it be worth it to drive part time for Uber?

I work full time M-F but have decided I need to find a way to make some additional income to pay off debts and wondering if driving a couple nights during the week and some on the weekends might be a good option.

I will have a 2014 Cadillac SRX with extremely low miles so I would qualify for Select fares.

Realistically how much can a driver expect to make per hour during the evening/night on a weeknight and on a weekend night?
I do both X and Select also you'll see that 3 of 20 trips will be Select and passangers play the system Select NEVER surges and when Uber X surge passed 3.0 you'll magically get a request for Select because there cheap @@@@s trying not to pay the Surge.

tohunt4me

Some data for you. Last night (Saturday) my schedule required that I end the night at midnight. Drove from 5-12. I grossed $13.42 per hour, which is a typical non-surge, non-tip enhanced night. I got about 37 mpg, spending about $9 on fuel, and $5 on snacks from home and a 5 Hour Energy. My car depreciated by a negligible amount and I don't account for the sunk cost of the financing.

Your SRX will have double the fuel costs and a more significant depreciation.

Of course, none of this takes into account the risk of a major event that will cost you the amount of the insurance deductible or the full cost of an uncovered event. We all live in fear of that unlucky situation.
Fuel costs on a car making 27-37 mpg generally account for 10% of what you earn.

tohunt4me

Non stop rate cuts.
Flooding of market with new drivers.

Programs like Pool which cut YOUR earnings in 1/2 while doubling Ubers profits.

If something works for you at Uber,rest assured they will SCREW IT UP WITHIN 3 MONTHS !

Then they will print up and send out charts showing the best times and areas to drive.
So even the most IGNORANT of drivers are handed over 1/2 year of YOUR hard work for no effort whatsoever.

tohunt4me

SRX will probably get about 15 mpg in uber usage, so that's a tough one to use.
So that is 20% to25% of his earnings GONE,in fuel.
Another 25% to Uber.
So,right off the bat,you are only making 50% of whatever you earn.

Just gas & Uber.
Take away $2.00-$5.00 a day for phone & services.
Meals.
Drinks.
" Clothes and laundry"( Cadillac style)
Then 1/2 of the miles on the car will be EMPTY. FREE MILES,SO WHEN UBER SENDS YOU 20 MINUTES AWAY FOR A 3 MILE V.I.P.,you could LOSE $10.00 ON THE TRIP !

How much for 4 tires installed with pressure monitor valve stems and balancing ?
$800.00 ?
$1,200.00?

( one pothole and you could shred a tire and destroy the rim.$250.00 tire,$650.00 Cadillac rim.$900.00.
Uber insurance deductible$1,000.00.
Ramp tow truck $250.00
Storage for 2 weeks waiting for rim to come in $20.00 a day.$240.00)
Insurance will be high also.

Luxury must come at a price.
( a lesson Uber has not learned)

Then you will have to wash and groom the car daily.
Leather needs $$ upkeep.
Detail the car monthly.
Oil changes.

The POOL RIDERS WILL LOVE IT ON THEIR POOL PASSES !

Last edited: