Is it worth it?

Tessie

Hello, I'm from Denver, I'm driving a Tesla S p85+, I've been driving for over twenty years and just started "professional' three days ago. I'm a stay at home mom and thought ride share would be a good way to help with household expenses on my own schedule. First "shift" of driving went wonderful, second day was complete opposite and third day... I probably shouldn't have gone out. I've had 14 total rides 12 people rated me and 10 of them gave me 5 stars. I'm rated at a 4.5. I'm trying to get the 4.9 rating in 25 rides to upgrade my account to Select. Thanks for all the info on this forum.

Mountainsoloist

In my opinion it definitely isn't worth it. You have a sweet car but Uber is going to put many miles on it really quickly. The electric powertrain is going to have different maintenance requirements than a traditional gas powered car but it will undoubtably need additional maintenance as a result of these extra miles. Select pays better but the market for it can disappear leaving you the riffraff x passengers.

Remember, gas isn't the only cost of driving. The biggest cost is depreciation, which will be huge on your high end vehicle.

Tessie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My deprecation is a buck a mile. (I don't intend to ever sell this car profit or not.) Maintenance is included with my purchase for 5 or 8 years. I do have staggered tires with 21" rims. Electricity cost me $0.0002 per mile if I juice up at home and free if I hit a supercharger.

Tessie

Why does anyone with a tesla need help with household expenses? This is a joke, right?
Are you kidding? So because I have a gold ring that means I'll never want for anything? Yes, we as Tesla owners could use a bit more to cover things going on. (We pay some household expenses for my in-laws as well.)

EcoboostMKS

You're using an $80k car to drive kids around for less than half the price of a taxi and no tips. And you're asking if it's worth it? Think about your question. Even with taxi rates and tips, it's not worth it to use your tesla as a taxi. I drive limo for a lot more than uber's budget rates and would never use a tesla.

No, it's absolutely not worth it.

Wayne_brain

Hello, I'm from Denver, I'm driving a Tesla S p85+, I've been driving for over twenty years and just started "professional' three days ago. I'm a stay at home mom and thought ride share would be a good way to help with household expenses on my own schedule. First "shift" of driving went wonderful, second day was complete opposite and third day... I probably shouldn't have gone out. I've had 14 total rides 12 people rated me and 10 of them gave me 5 stars. I'm rated at a 4.5. I'm trying to get the 4.9 rating in 25 rides to upgrade my account to Select. Thanks for all the info on this forum.
It is worth it if your rides meet your goal. I have only 230 rides [all SELECT] over 9 months. My rating is 4.58 [not good] . But I'm OK because my goal was to make money over a period of two months when I had no income. I met my goal. My advice to you is to stay with "Select"; I've always wondered if I could make it as UBER-X but I've never subjected my BMW to be a UBER-X. I would have a crummy attitude if I downgraded.
Be patient as a SELECT driver, I notice that you can go hours without anything, even during "busy" periods. I average $100/day net/net.
In this forum there are drivers that make a lot more, but I'm OK with my $100.

Tessie

My goal is $25 per hour for x rides. I met my goal for the hours I drove over the weekend. I hope select will be $40 or more per hour of driving. It seams busy and profitable here, however, I had a problem Saturday with a very large and super drunk dude that was shockingly aggressive towards me and my car and threatened people on the street. I figured the safest way out of it was to have assistance, so I had someone call the PD to have him removed. I notified über and received a cleaning fee for his mess. How crazy are the Select riders and how profitable is Select in Denver would have been a better title for my post.

Wayne_brain

OK

I'm giving up my "Friday & Saturday giving rides to drunks": I think there is element of danger there; also they're ruining my ratings..
I'm OK with the rest of the business. Most of my clients are well to do people in Orange County [including drunks[

Tessie

I'm trying to stay in our business centers around town trying to avoid the danger. Do you think 9ish is a good cut off point? I'd like to build up clientele as well. What do I do when people say they want me back for other rides? Give them my number, head to them then they request through the app when I'm close? Thanks.

Wayne_brain

When I work nights, I get a lot of business from 5PM to 8PM. Then it dies off until almost midnite. I've only had one ride when they called me on my cell phone. I think people lose my number when I tried that maneuver. I don't think UBER wants you to do that because there might be a close driver. At 200+ rides, I am a part timer. I took almost no rides when I was working 40 hours. After 4 hrs of driving at night, I'm tired to be honest.
The other thing to consider is how many other drivers are out there. On Friday nights, there are lots of them
X's, XL, Select, Black. & Lyft and taxis..

Tessie

I don't really want to give out my number to ppl I just met anyway. When I call the pax through the app it gives a dummy number as my number, right?

Wayne_brain

Yes,

through the app no one's personal info is closed.
If you every try to call someone after the ride, they disappear like a puff of smoke..

Wayne

Ishmejohnay

My goal is $25 per hour for x rides. I met my goal for the hours I drove over the weekend. I hope select will be $40 or more per hour of driving. It seams busy and profitable here, however, I had a problem Saturday with a very large and super drunk dude that was shockingly aggressive towards me and my car and threatened people on the street. I figured the safest way out of it was to have assistance, so I had someone call the PD to have him removed. I notified über and received a cleaning fee for his mess. How crazy are the Select riders and how profitable is Select in Denver would have been a better title for my post.
Select riders are profitable, just drive during the day so you don't have to deal with drunk people . I had a select request yesterday drove 32 miles made 75 after uber fees

KevRyde

Hello, I'm from Denver, I'm driving a Tesla S p85+, I've been driving for over twenty years and just started "professional' three days ago. I'm a stay at home mom and thought ride share would be a good way to help with household expenses on my own schedule.
Here's a thought: you wouldn't need "help with household expenses" if you weren't driving such an outrageously expensive car.
Why does anyone with a tesla need help with household expenses? This is a joke, right?
Apparently not.
My deprecation is a buck a mile.
Keep rereading that sentence until its meaning finally sinks in.
Are you kidding? So because I have a gold ring that means I'll never want for anything?
You're using a Tesla to drive for Uber, yet you're the person asking, "are you kidding?". That's precious.

Last edited:

dinabobina

In my opinion it definitely isn't worth it. You have a sweet car but Uber is going to put many miles on it really quickly. The electric powertrain is going to have different maintenance requirements than a traditional gas powered car but it will undoubtably need additional maintenance as a result of these extra miles. Select pays better but the market for it can disappear leaving you the riffraff x passengers.

Remember, gas isn't the only cost of driving. The biggest cost is depreciation, which will be huge on your high end vehicle.
Hi there, I too am a new Uber with a Tesla, I find it much easier to ask questions on here without ever mentioning I own a Tesla. It seems being a Tesla owner draws attacks from idiots. That atleast is what I am finding. I am doing Uber just a few days a week and only for a few hours, easy money driving in my town. I think driving my Tesla is such fun, why not add a rider and make a few dollars. I have decided to just read posts in the forum to gain some advice, being a girl with a Tesla seems to rub some guys the wrong way. Be safe out there driving!