• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is it true that police cannot remove someone from your vehicle without crime being commited?

Over/Uber

Your vehicle is your private space. If you no longer want the pax in your car and they refuse to leave, they are trespassing and have committed a crime. Hence, the police start with asking the pax to exit and progress from there as needed.

Seamus

In which case why call the cops? Must remove ourselves?
I have no idea of the laws in Canada. Around NY the police don't like to get involved with what they consider "minor" issues. HOWEVER, if you dared to physically remove one from your car you MIGHT be charged with assault as crazy as that sounds. I am 6'4'' 260 lbs and had 1 guy (in a thousand rides) who was almost a foot and 150 LBS less than me who refused to get out of my car. Never get physical (even if you could pummel him). Took my keys and got out of the car. Eventually he got bored and left.

aarondavid1010

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no idea of the laws in Canada. Around NY the police don't like to get involved with what they consider "minor" issues. HOWEVER, if you dared to physically remove one from your car you MIGHT be charged with assault as crazy as that sounds. I am 6'4'' 260 lbs and had 1 guy (in a thousand rides) who was almost a foot and 150 LBS less than me who refused to get out of my car. Never get physical (even if you could pummel him). Took my keys and got out of the car. Eventually he got bored and left.
so were you waiting on the cops? were you just gonna wait him out and let him take your day? as a big new yorker no less?

Seamus

so were you waiting on the cops? were you just gonna wait him out and let him take your day? as a big new yorker no less?
Yup, waiting him out. Whatever I missed in Uber calls is a lot less than the cost of hiring a lawyer after i dragged his scrawny ass out and threw him to the curb. And yes, the police came and only tried to talk him out. Then the police officer told me he had to leave. He said call back later if he won't get out of your car. One important detail, he left after i told him i was going to drive to the county psych ward and tell them he was threatening to commit suicide. In NY that is called a "Baker Act" which is a mandatory 48 hour psych hold and evaluation. LOL

Last edited:

aarondavid1010

Yup, waiting him out. Whatever I missed in Uber calls is a lot less than the cost of hiring a lawyer after i dragged his scrawny ass out and threw him to the curb. And yes, the police came and only tried to talk him out. Then the police officer told me he had to leave. He said call back later if he won't get out of your car. One important detail, he left after i told him i was going to drive to the county psych ward and tell them he was threatening to commit suicide. In NY that is called a "Baker Act which is a mandatory 48 hour psych hold and evaluation. LOL
you said the police officer said he had to leave . Yet they didnt make him

aarondavid1010

Yes, the OFFICER had to leave.
so here's the real. Thats not good advice and extremely cowardly. Dragging someone out of your car isnt assault and no court would go through on that.If he's wants to try hitting at you thats assault on him or you can " pummel " him no prob right big guy. But you sit around like a chump.
a hospital wont admit on stranger hearsay he only left cos you were actually going to drive an hour away and he cant afford to come back. An hour with a messed up ny stranger. wow

Seamus

so here's the real. Thats not good advice and extremely cowardly. Dragging someone out of your car isnt assault and no court would go through on that.If he's wants to try hitting at you thats assault on him or you can " pummel " him no prob right big guy. But you sit around like a chump.
a hospital wont admit on stranger hearsay he only left cos you were actually going to drive an hour away and he cant afford to come back. An hour with a messed up ny stranger. wow
Not cowardly at all. Your brain is less costly than your muscle. I'm doing this to MAKE money not COST money.

aarondavid1010

I love how he attacks and make an assumption about another drivers choices when he doesn't have a &%$@!*ing clue what to do either. obviously
i was talking about law. I know exactly what i'd do

Not cowardly at all. Your brain is less costly than your muscle. I'm doing this to MAKE money not COST money.
you have all the power as a driver. You just dont know how to administer it. you cant get it trouble for taking someone out of you car. You think the cops would care . think they'd come back and arrest you.? haha Your taking care of the situation if he does something he's in it further. So sad man

aarondavid1010

please share for the rest of us then. what would you do if someone refused to leave your vehicle.
if they cops left i would take him out . You think im not going home that night? I wouldnt even have to call the cops i'm not a pus. But if it got awkward and did you better believe i'd make them take him out or i'd take him out infront of them. Uber drivers are pretty dull and cowardly sad to be amongst.

Seamus

I love how he attacks and make an assumption about another drivers choices when he doesn't have a &%$@!*ing clue what to do either. obviously

you have all the power as a driver. You just dont know how to administer it. you cant get it trouble for taking someone out of you car. You think the cops would care . think they'd come back and arrest you.? haha Your taking care of the situation if he does something he's in it further. So sad man
Don't forget you posted this in the "advice" forum and thats what you got, take it or leave it! It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do so why ask for advice? Either way I don't give a flying F... what you do. You want to drag them out go for it. You mean nothing to me and what I would do. I couldn't care less if you think I'm a coward!!! Uber on!

10000 rides

For the record, this scenario recently happened to me and the cops took forever to arrive and did NOTHING to the pax...then...the cops threatened me for "speaking to them" the way I was speaking, which was pissed!!! I just got back in my car and drove away. Called the shift commander, complained. He said he'd review the bodycam footage. Still waiting for his return call...from 3 weeks ago!

Rushmanyyz

No way that I believe this account of what happened is accurate. If you calmly explain to a police officer that you need to go elsewhere and they are not welcome, it is clear trespassing. Tell the cop you want a police report and, if they refuse, ask for their supervisor.

Remember though, I don't believe it happened this way at all though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U San Francisco 11
Kevin7889 New York City 8
Cantina00 New Jersey 1