Is it still worth driving UBER?

ElseñorUber

I did UBER for a while last year and the beginning of this year; when i stopped doing it i noticed that the competition was crazy!..i was doing it part time only, i have my 9-5, but i was considering doing it again, since is the only part time job that would me make my own schedule. Just wanted some opinions.
thanks

Duber12

I did UBER for a while last year and the beginning of this year; when i stopped doing it i noticed that the competition was crazy!..i was doing it part time only, i have my 9-5, but i was considering doing it again, since is the only part time job that would me make my own schedule. Just wanted some opinions.
thanks
My earnings are in a downward trend, and the last two days have been my worst ever

Archie Nelson

It seems everyday gets harder. Today it was Uber a network that managed to shaft my out of an XL airport trip at 530 so if anyone on this forum got it i hope she tipped well. I did end up with one out of Downtown for $55 This am via 76 route. No rematches today on 2 trips

mattadams

I think there are just as many, if not more, uber drivers than there were this time last year. I think a lot of the cab drivers have figured out it's the only way to remain competitive and jumped ship. Unfortunately from my experience as a passenger, I'm getting fewer drivers who take pride in their vehicles and the service they offer, and more people doing it with the crummiest cars they can get, often with limited english abilities and obviously no pride in what they are doing. Maybe I've just had a few bad experiences in the past few months, but it seems to be that when I'm at the uber airport lot (which is rare, I think I've been there 3-4x over the last few months) I see more and more banged up vehicles, people who look like they likely live in their cars, smoking inside and out of their cars, etc. It's frustrating as a passenger, but I suppose it's what happens. I'm guessing uber hasn't been really strict on vehicle inspections or kicking drivers off for poor ratings because it isn't in their best interest to do so. I got the comment from a passenger the other day who takes uber every day to and from work that it was refreshing to have an uber whose car didn't smell like ass and who didn't have rap music blaring over the speakers.
As for the money, I suppose only you can answer that question. I'm sure some have left because they aren't netting enough cash... but I'm sure there are plenty others who are happy with what they are getting, so sticking around.

Some days I do great, other days my app is on almost all day with no requests. Or at least no requests I forsee will be profitable. Just pools and garbage locations for pickups.

No reason you can't stay active and just do the super busy times when ping after ping comes in- post Bronco games, concerts, big conventions downtown. I plan to cut back this winter (as will demand so I'll cut back whether I want to or not.) But I know what's going on around town and can hit up those spots if I'm free.

Last edited:

Duber12

I think there are just as many, if not more, uber drivers than there were this time last year. I think a lot of the cab drivers have figured out it's the only way to remain competitive and jumped ship. Unfortunately from my experience as a passenger, I'm getting fewer drivers who take pride in their vehicles and the service they offer, and more people doing it with the crummiest cars they can get, often with limited english abilities and obviously no pride in what they are doing. Maybe I've just had a few bad experiences in the past few months, but it seems to be that when I'm at the uber airport lot (which is rare, I think I've been there 3-4x over the last few months) I see more and more banged up vehicles, people who look like they likely live in their cars, smoking inside and out of their cars, etc. It's frustrating as a passenger, but I suppose it's what happens. I'm guessing uber hasn't been really strict on vehicle inspections or kicking drivers off for poor ratings because it isn't in their best interest to do so. I got the comment from a passenger the other day who takes uber every day to and from work that it was refreshing to have an uber whose car didn't smell like ass and who didn't have rap music blaring over the speakers.
As for the money, I suppose only you can answer that question. I'm sure some have left because they aren't netting enough cash... but I'm sure there are plenty others who are happy with what they are getting, so sticking around.
Matt,
How nice should a car be when UberX drivers are being paid .75 per mile and $5.85 per hour, before expenses and taxes?

MoneyMyths

Do the math and most (Uber X) will figure out that you are making $10hr if your lucky, or less. Consider all your costs: gas, lots of oil changes, tires, brakes, windshields, car washes, etc and you will learn your car probably costs between .30-.50 per mile to operate. They pay .75 a mile and .09 per minute which means that unless you only put gas in your car you're not making much. Sure you get the IRS standard deduction, but that hardly covers your out-of-pocket expenses. You could take a job at any number of fast food places and make more money with benefits. Uber used to be good money, but with the lowered pay and market saturation it is definitely getting more difficult.

...Unfortunately from my experience as a passenger, I'm getting fewer drivers who take pride in their vehicles and the service they offer, and more people doing it with the crummiest cars they can get, ...

Get used to it. There's no incentive to operate a nicer vehicle when you get paid minimum wage. I guess that's why they have Select. Better step up your ride preference or lower your expectations because it's going to get worse.

mattadams

Matt,
How nice should a car be when UberX drivers are being paid .75 per mile and $5.85 per hour, before expenses and taxes?
To answer your question, the car should be nice enough that I can see out the windows clearly, not have to take a shower when I get out because of the odor that has now attached itself to me, and clean enough that I don't have to worry about what I am going to catch from touching things like the door handles. I don't expect a detailed benz. I expect someone who puts at least the amount of effort they'd put into giving a ride to a friend as they would giving a ride to someone who is paying for it. And how the heck are you figuring $5.85 per hour? Aside from when I'm sitting around at home in Longmont waiting for a ride (which can sometimes take hours, if I am really motivated I just leave and go to boulder or denver), I pretty much always make at least $15-20/hr before expenses, and my only real expense is gas. I do all the work on my car myself, clean it myself, etc.
P.S. if expenses are too high, learn how to do the work on your car yourself. Most routine things like oil changes, brake jobs, etc. the average person with a basic set of tools should be able to handle. Youtube videos are extremely useful if you are just getting started. You can save thousands and thousands of dollars over hte life of your car, as well as know you aren't getting ripped off, being made to do things that aren't needed, or paying for repairs that are never done in the first place.

Last edited:

I concur with this: Clean interior, no stink, friendly/safe driver - (and if the driver is quiet and keeps to themselves that's fine too.)

If the exterior's a little dirty or dusty it's no big deal, especially in the winter. it's Colorado. (I at least use glass wipe the windows down between washes, that makes a huge difference and people notice a dirty window more).

And if there's a little detritus in the back on a Friday or Saturday night I understand, drivers stay busy and people litter (but shouldn't be a regular thing). I'm happy to get compliments like "What a clean car..." when pax get in.

5 stars.

MoneyMyths

Matt, I agree that a car shouldn't be gross. Realize that as a rider you are paying less than a cab would charge and the driver is making less in most cases than a cab driver. Now, remember the last time you rode in a cab and I bet it was pretty close to your previous description. Common sense will tell you that a lower cost service will probably be lacking in some areas. You want the cheapest price, you got it. You want the ability to complain about getting anything more than a safe ride from A to B, then you should pay more. As far as pay goes I'm not sure about $5.85, but I doubt you make more than $10 unless you're driving a hybrid and hit only surge/boost.

The last time I was in a taxi the driver berated me because I was going to the Smithsonian Museum instead of the airport. (Sunday from my hotel)

Aside from that it was a nice ride and the car was clean. Her grumbling eventually subsided.

It was actually a refreshing exchange - a nice change from having to pretend to be nice for 5 stars.

Archie Nelson

I avg.about $18-20 an hour in my 02 suburban. I pay $10 to my dealership to do oil changes. I pay $30 a week to have my car washed and detailed inside and out. If I missed anything its an even smaller expense then what I have listed

MoneyMyths

You wrote: "$5.85 is what Uber pays per minute .0975 x 60." What did I miss?

I avg.about $18-20 an hour in my 02 suburban. I pay $10 to my dealership to do oil changes. I pay $30 a week to have my car washed and detailed inside and out. If I missed anything its an even smaller expense then what I have listed
Seriously? Your car never needs tires? Brakes? Which are not smaller than what you listed

mattadams

I travel a lot for work so I've taken a lot of taxis and a lot of ubers. Generally speaking, I always prefer the uber, and not just because of cost but because of safety but also convenience, better billing receipts, and other factors. Depending on the market, some cab drivers drive their own car, which they own... others are just employees that show up and take whichever taxi is assigned to them that day. Cabs and ubers both have their advantages and disadvantages though, and I'm not someone that wishes ill will to the cab drivers out there. In some markets like NYC, cabs and ubers are going to be almost exactly the same price, but you generally get a much nicer vehicle with an uber. In some areas, cab drivers are paid a flat hourly rate plus a percentage of fares, in others they rent the car for x amount per day and get to keep whatever they make... but anyways that's all side from the point. I get that uber is cheaper than cabs. I also get that cabs have to carry their own commercial insurance, have to have a taxi license, and most have to do it full time. Uber is something that (most) people can do on the side, to earn a little extra income, without having to invest money in a specific license, a specific type of vehicle aside from what they drive normally, and without having to carry commercial insurance.

The pay per minute is irrelevant to what you are making. It assumes time spent on rides, and doesn't factor in per mile rates. In Boulder and Longmont, the rate is 12 cents/minute... in Denver .0975/minutes, but that doesn't factor in what you are paid my the mile... even at that rate, that assumes you are on paid time 60 minutes out of the hour, which we all know isn't realistic. Either way, if you are making $10/hour or less, then you clearly aren't working the right areas or something, I make more than that even when Longmont is dead... and it's almost always dead. If that's the case, I'd recommend alternate employment.

Brakes, if you can do them yourself, should cost you no more than about $50 to swap out pads... if you have to do rotors and pads, about $150. If you pay someone else, it's gonna cost you several hundred dollars. My escape went 105,000 miles with the original brakes and even then I only replaced because I was doing some other work, they still had at least 1/3 life left in them. but as we've established, I also drive reasonably. Tires shouldn't be needed more than every 50,000 miles, assuming you drive reasonably well and buy decent quality tires. So I factor it into my decision making process and budgeting, but its not like I need a new set every month or anything.

UberDez

Damn dude $30 a week for car wash? Why not joint a monthly service? I pay $35 a month but about to start paying $25 a month for u limited washes on all 4 of my cars including auto wash and self service washing, free vacuum etc..