Is It Seasonal In Denver?

Furies

Hello there, my Colorado friends! I was curious if the Denver metro area is seasonal for the rideshare scene. I live in the Phoenix valley and it is very seasonal here. The summer months are brutal, with the heat, so it is quite slower. But the winter months are good, starting in October.

So, is it the opposite in the Denver metro, with fall/winter approaching? If that is true, how significant are the differences?

Thank You for your support!

PS.....any BHTM fans out there? That is my all time favorite band since I discovered them in '93, with Sister Sweetly! One of these years I'm gonna make it to Red Rocks and see them play!!

UberDez

Denver just sucks all the time , you'd be better off staying in Phoenix where it doesn't suck

Furies

Haha!! Spoken like a couple of homers! I didn't say I was thinking of going there. I was curious of how the winter months are, with the snow and such. And I guess you just decided to skip over my comment on the summer months here in Phoenix.

Anyways, would any non insecure drivers like to give some feedback?

Thanks...

mattadams

If you look back through the posts in here, it seems like every few are "hi, I live in xx city. I'm thinking of moving to denver to uber." The response is pretty much always the same, uhh hello we are already oversaturated, our cost of living is skyrocketing, you won't make enough money to support yourself, and you'll find yourself being thankful for the few rides that you do get, even though the city rarely surges anymore". so perhaps you can understand some of the bitterness.
To answer your question, Denver has awesome weather pretty much year round. When it gets cold, some people don't like to walk and bike as much so they uber, but more people just avoid going out in it unless they have to, so the amount of uber work ends up balancing out to be about the same... which is, generally not enough passengers, or too many drivers, depending on if you look at the glass half full or half empty.

Last edited:

Furies

Thanks for the reply, Matt! I was curious because it is very seasonal here -- busy during the winter months, slow in the summer months. I thought maybe it is the reverse in Denver! But I can tell you that from reading a few posts here, you guys get a lot more surges than we do in Phoenix. The winter months brings in a lot of people from different states -- snowbirds. A great time to be here.

mattadams

Most of the real "winter" stuff, like skiing, snowboarding, etc. is hours away from denver, and most people that come to colorado for it know better than to uber there. And most ubers say that even if they do get a ride up to the ski resorts they'll rarely get a ride back and have to deadhead back and essentially end up making no money. but tourists come to Colorado year round.

Archie Nelson

Colorado is a tourist state. So we an influx of people every other weekend if not every weekend. I had to laugh at the first 2 responses you had. Angry people lol

Last edited:

In my 14 months of driving I've found summers, especially weekends, to be far more profitable during summers than winters - and I rarely drive after 10pm. Many more events going on in the city in the summer - and I can stay busy all day on a weekend with afternoon/evening surges on and off throughout the city, whereas people here for skiing in the winter usually have cars and transportation lined up already, except for those who start/end in Denver (without a car) or spend a few days in the city before or after the mountains.

Winter for me was far less busy. Snowstorms will bring some good surges, but it also creates terrible traffic during rush hour, so your rides are at a turtle's pace.

UberDez

Haha!! Spoken like a couple of homers! I didn't say I was thinking of going there. I was curious of how the winter months are, with the snow and such. And I guess you just decided to skip over my comment on the summer months here in Phoenix.

Anyways, would any non insecure drivers like to give some feedback?

Thanks...

I actually do think Denver sucks use to be awesome but not anymore . As far as driving I usually make more money in the winter than Summer but I stay fairly consistant all the time . I'll have some really bad days and some really good days it all evens out

ItsAConspiracy

I think we have a LOT of (geriatric) snowbirds here in CO that migrate to AZ and FL during the winter which free up the roads noticeably. That said, my commute actually improves in the winter, baring any unusually harsh snow storms of course. Though as of late I have noticed an sharp increase in noobs that dont know how to drive in winter conditions... But after they inevitably run their car into a ditch, I see these folks as potential Uber/Lyft clients ;-).

Last edited:

If you have decent tires and know how to handle the roads you'll already have a leg up during snowstorms. - I think big storms cull a lot of drivers who are ill equipped.

GasHealthTimeCosts

Yes it's seasonal, it snows too.

Snow driving pays more but is a lot more dangerous, stressful and taxing on the vehicle It takes a lot longer to get around.

Daisey77

Snow driving does not always pay more. Granted last year we did not have much snow the one storm we did get did Surge insanely but the other snow falls, it didn't surge at all. Granted snow didn't stick to the ground with any other snowfall either

mattadams

yeah unfortunately even if there is a moderate surge, because you are spending so long stuck in traffic, and we're paid mainly by the mile, not the minute, you'll find you make about the same, if not less, than you do on a normal day.
The exception is snowstorms that come out of nowhere. Because most snow storms, we know about, and people prepare for them. There was one or two last year that seemed to catch people off guard and they needed rides home from work, from school, etc. and the surge got really high. I think I was out of town that day, son of a @@@@@, LOL.

Daisey77

yeah unfortunately even if there is a moderate surge, because you are spending so long stuck in traffic, and we're paid mainly by the mile, not the minute, you'll find you make about the same, if not less, than you do on a normal day.
The exception is snowstorms that come out of nowhere. Because most snow storms, we know about, and people prepare for them. There was one or two last year that seemed to catch people off guard and they needed rides home from work, from school, etc. and the surge got really high. I think I was out of town that day, son of a *****, LOL.
Ummmm there was one storm and no work or school because it came on a Friday night lol but the plows never came out and it amounted to a lot more than we expected. Well the plows did come out but not until 24 hours later! LOL but then that Sunday, the Broncos are in town and they haven't been in town for 3 weeks so between the storm and that it just surged through the entire weekend. Plus half of the drivers we're still trying to find their cars they abandoned on the interstate Friday so a lot less drivers out :biggrin::cool: jk

UberDez

The exception is snowstorms that come out of nowhere. Because most snow storms, we know about, and people prepare for them. There was one or two last year that seemed to catch people off guard and they needed rides home from work, from school, etc. and the surge got really high. I think I was out of town that day, son of a *****, LOL.

You can make some good money on the per minute when it's surging . Yesterday I got a Lyft Plus with 100% PT pick up was on Federal and 44th they were going to the Curtis to pick someone up and then to Taxi 2 . It was during rush hour so this 6 mile trip lasted over 30 minutes and I made $45 . That's mainly from the per minute since at that point it was 60 cents a minute (48 cents after Lyfts Cut)