Is it safe for me to do UberEats?

magick.code

Hi there. I live in South Florida (Broward County/Palm Beach county area).

I have a main job already that is the main source of income in my household, and it won't go away. However, my partner lost his job and so we lost a source of income due to covid19. He is applying for unemployment benefits but things are going really slow.

I've always done UberEats as a side gig to help out with things like entertainment and such, and now I've been doing more of it to supplement our income. However, with all these grim news, I'm really getting scared. I'm 39 years old and rarely get sick, but I do have some underlying health conditions that can be very detrimental if I were to get the virus.

I wear a cloth mask and use gloves. Restaurants in South Florida are doing a good job with the social distancing. They are usually empty or very few drivers picking up food with a lot of space in between us. I use sanitizer after picking up food and after drop off. I avoid other people as if they were walkers in the The Walking Dead.

I could give up UberEats for now and rely solely on my income, but that means late bills and not being able to pay some.

What are your guys opinion? Is it safe? Should I just cut my losses and stay home?

2win

Not worth it with the underlying health conditions. If you were healthy and physically fit it’s a maybe. The unemployment will come. Better to be a bit broke than to have both of you end up catching this thing.

doyousensehumor

I have a main job already that is the main source of income in my household, and it won't go away. However, my partner lost his job and so we lost a source of income due to covid19. He is applying for unemployment benefits but things are going really slow.

I've always done UberEats as a side gig to help out with things like entertainment and such, and now I've been doing more of it to supplement our income. However, with all these grim news, I'm really getting scared. I'm 39 years old and rarely get sick, but I do have some underlying health conditions that can be very detrimental if I were to get the virus.

I wear a cloth mask and use gloves. Restaurants in South Florida are doing a good job with the social distancing. They are usually empty or very few drivers picking up food with a lot of space in between us. I use sanitizer after picking up food and after drop off. I avoid other people as if they were walkers in the The Walking Dead.

I could give up UberEats for now and rely solely on my income, but that means late bills and not being able to pay some.

What are your guys opinion? Is it safe? Should I just cut my losses and stay home?
There's a certain risk in any way that you leave home, but it's less risky than UX.

Some precautions you can take to make it a little bit safer, but there's no guarantees. Make your own assessment.

Last edited:

Alltel77

If you have to ask then you probably should not be doing it. Only thing I've changed is I won't go into buildings/high-rises, I decline those orders. I sanitize my hands everytime I leave a restaurant and after drop off. Most restaurants are pretty good about one at a time, (except CHIPOTLE) so if it's crowded with drivers I just cancel it. I know I'm missing out on some money but it's not worth it to me besides most people in condos/high-rises tip low or not at all. I had an acquaintance who recently passed away from COVID19 , I don't know his health records but he wasn't old.

NYUber123

If you have to ask then you probably should not be doing it. Only thing I've changed is I won't go into buildings/high-rises, I decline those orders. I sanitize my hands everytime I leave a restaurant and after drop off. Most restaurants are pretty good about one at a time, (except CHIPOTLE) so if it's crowded with drivers I just cancel it. I know I'm missing out on some money but it's not worth it to me besides most people in condos/high-rises tip low or not at all. I had an acquaintance who recently passed away from COVID19 , I don't know his health records but he wasn't old.
How do you know that it is a building or high rise that you can decline the order?

goobered

If you have underlying health conditions, it's a tough call but I'd advise not doing it. I stopped driving a week ago. I have asthma and COPD and a whole variety of other things that could make it hard for me to fight this off. When I started getting hay fever and bronchitis I decided to quit driving. Having allergic inflammation in my lungs makes me too vulnerable. I filed for unemployment on the basis of my health issues. I have a feeling it may take awhile to get it, and could be a hassle, but in the meantime I can survive financially.
Post automatically merged:

Can you work out an agreement where maybe you pay part of it now and part later? Never hurts to ask, if you can get someone on the phone.

Dapatientdriver

Honestly not worth the risk. You will have issues with the app that will cause you to not get tips. And Uber will not compensate or help with the issue. Stay home

ANT 7

I don't see how it can be any less safe than a trip to the grocery store.
Well, I go to the grocery store once every 2 weeks.

You might do 10-20 UE deliveries in a shift, no ?

With underlying health conditions, and even with you needing the money, I'd still say don't do it. BTW, thank you for "maning up" and saying you really need the money, so many here have been posting that they are driving because they are simply gilded angels out to do the community good.

RoyalC33

man i need the money bad but for the past 2 weeks i stayed at home because the number of cases were peaking. once it goes back down maybe end of this month ill get back out there

Ubertool

It’s 100% certain than no one on this board can give you 100% correct response including me . Your the only one that can make that decision , we are essential ( disposable in my opinion ) says your government , sometimes I don’t believe politicians so IVe not considered working since March 16, good luck to you whatever you decide

moJohoJo

Looks like you eat Ubers then the other way around . Lose weight . You'll have less to worry about . Right now your in a high catagory for non recovery should you ( and i hope you don't ) catch Covid 19 . Cut out the sugars, high frucose syrups, sodas, cakes, donuts, fats, etc . & guaranteed you'll lose weight .

UberSnoober

To the OP you are 39 years old so you will probably not die from COVID-19.
Question is do you have to inter act with people in your life that are elderly?
We seem to be carriers.
I stopped doing Uber Eats on March 23rd. because my Mom lives with me and I can't put her at risk even though she is healthy with no co-Morbidities.
As long as you take precautions your risk seems to be minimal.
Take care.

DiceyDan

This is pretty accurate, I do DD, and most (if not all) are leave by the door. If you wear a mask when picking up and avoid Chipotle, you should be fine. I'm affraid we're going to start losing a ton of restaurants, making us all fight over a few open.

Hi there. I live in South Florida (Brzincoward County/Palm Beach county area).

UberEats and DoorDash are the best, safest gigs going right now. With your precautions, you will most likely be fine. I mean, seriously, there are no guarantees for any of us. I would just add a serious regimen of immune system boosting: up your Vitamin C, lysine, zinc, and Vitamin D3 intake. Eat your veggies and fruit, get out and walk, and into a regular sleep routine. You'll be fine.

Steve appleby

I did my first Uber eats delivery yesterday after 5 years of doing Uber x. It’s not worth it at all. You’ll get paid peanuts.

Looks like you eat Ubers then the other way around . Lose weight . You'll have less to worry about . Right now your in a high catagory for non recovery should you ( and i hope you don't ) catch Covid 19 . Cut out the sugars, high frucose syrups, sodas, cakes, donuts, fats, etc . & guaranteed you'll lose weight .
Wow, what a piece of Sh!t. Do you really think it’s okay to talk like that to another human being???