Inshur

Is it possible to convert my USA license to a UK one to drive with Uber in London?

I drove in the Uk for about 1 year on the USA license and want to move and drive in London. It says on the website you need a EU or UK license for at least 3 years which I will not have. I want to know if I am eligible to drive and there is no one to call in London from America. I was thinking if I should call the TFL phone and ask them directly? Does anyone have any information and how long will the process take to get my license and other pco license? I am also a EU citizen.

Thanks.

UberLuxbod

No you can't exchange it.

The ones you can are Licences from Designated Countries

"Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe."

The EU, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Man and Guernsey.

You can drive for one year, if you want to drive for Longer you need to sit a test.

Not sure why you didn't use Google, as it took me all of 10 seconds to confirm the names above as I couldn't remember them all.

If you swap a South African Licence and you have LGV or Bus categorys then you lose them, you also need to sit the C1/D1 test to be able to drive above 3.5t regardless of when you sat your Test in SA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you can convert it , it will show you have the licence from the year you got in America so no worries.
soi can drive in london even after i convert my license and even if was not used in the uk for three years?
Post automatically merged:

Yes you can...arrive at France rake a lorry.. Pretend to be migrant.. Go out side TfL and cry.. They will give you one..That's how I got mine
wtf no thanks. i am not a migrant pfffff

According to TFL site you need a licence within EEA
uber says i will have to convert it to a uk license so i will call tfl maybe and ask them directly so no one can help me,

No you can't exchange it.

The ones you can are Licences from Designated Countries

"Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe."

The EU, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Man and Guernsey.

You can drive for one year, if you want to drive for Longer you need to sit a test.

Not sure why you didn't use Google, as it took me all of 10 seconds to confirm the names above as I couldn't remember them all.

If you swap a South African Licence and you have LGV or Bus categorys then you lose them, you also need to sit the C1/D1 test to be able to drive above 3.5t regardless of when you sat your Test in SA
Which test and is it hard? To convert the license i heard was easy. I already used up the 1 year time frame to use my international license.

UberLuxbod

soi can drive in london even after i convert my license and even if was not used in the uk for three years?

wtf no thanks. i am not a migrant pfffff

uber says i will have to convert it to a uk license so i will call tfl maybe and ask them directly so no one can help me,

Which test and is it hard? To convert the license i heard was easy. I already used up the 1 year time frame to use my international license.
I assume you are a troll but I have nothing on so shall play along.

The "Test" is the UK Driving Test, practical and theory.

You can't convert a US Licence to a UK Licence as Americans don't respect the authority of the Queen.

You must have used Google to find this site. Maybe try using it to find actual facts out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume you are a troll but I have nothing on so shall play along.

The "Test" is the UK Driving Test, practical and theory.

You can't convert a US Licence to a UK Licence as Americans don't respect the authority of the Queen.

You must have used Google to find this site. Maybe try using it to find actual facts out.
You must be the biggest idiot I have ever replied to and also rude. First off jackass, I am European and what does the Queen have to do with my question. Second off Uber is an American company which you would not have job if it was not for the Americans! You sound like a racist @@@@ and your response was not helpful and makes me sick. I hope Uber fires you @@@@.

You must be the biggest idiot I have ever replied to and also rude. First off jackass, I am European and what does the Queen have to do with my question. Second off Uber is an American company which you would not have job if it was not for the Americans! You sound like a racist @@@@ and your response was not helpful and makes me sick. I hope Uber fires you @@@@.
You are a moderator?!! HAHAHA WHAT A JOKE! I DO NOT BELIEVE OR RESPECT YOU AT ALL.

laudhh

I drove in the Uk for about 1 year on the USA license and want to move and drive in London. It says on the website you need a EU or UK license for at least 3 years which I will not have. I want to know if I am eligible to drive and there is no one to call in London from America. I was thinking if I should call the TFL phone and ask them directly? Does anyone have any information and how long will the process take to get my license and other pco license? I am also a EU citizen.

Thanks.
actually had a USA licence, which I had to convert, however, I had to take a retest in the UK. but Tfl have stringent criteria in regard to licences, I'm not too sure on min requirements.. but that min period would start after you got your UK licence, hope thats helpful and good luck

UberLuxbod

You are a moderator?!! HAHAHA WHAT A JOKE! I DO NOT BELIEVE OR RESPECT YOU AT ALL.
Triggered. A person with intelligence would have understood the joke.

As would somebody that had actually read the information I posted, which answered all your questions.

A Canadian Licence can be exchanged for a UK one?

Get it yet? Maybe phone a friend.

Going to admit what your previous forum name was?

reg barclay

Thanks.
Some countries have reciprocal agreements with others, whereby a licence holder from one country can get a licence in the other (and vice versa) without taking a test. The USA and UK do not fall into this category, and anyone moving directly from one to the other has to take a new driving test, as if they'd never driven before. They may be able to drive with their foreign licence for some time period in the new country, but I don't think Uber would let them sign up without getting one there. I believe each US state is regarded as its own country as regards which countries it has such agreements with, and some states have agreements with countries that others don't. But again, unless things have changed, no US states have any such agreements with the UK or vice versa. IIRC some EU countries have agreements with some US states, so if you are a citizen of an EU country that might be a viable route.

Honestly, no disrespect to OP or anyone else. But as an Englishman living in the US, having taken a test here and seen how Americans drive, I completely understand why the UK would not give Americans licences without a test. Not to mention that most Americans only drive Automatics. Also, roads are usually much wider here, so many aren't used to the tight weaving around parked cars that is much more common in the UK.